Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2016, 03:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Super C 35SB
State: Colorado
THOR #3579
Should we buy a 2016 Chateau Super C 35SB?

We currently own a 2004 Winnebago Journey 39K diesel pusher, but frankly it is too huge for us to maneuver in the places we like to go and does not have the sleeping capacity of the 35SB. We have had issues in our Winnebago but realize with RVing that we will have issues with any RV. We love the diesel in this Chateau and we need it to pull our 5500 pound boat. We live in the Rocky Mountains and need the power to pull over the passes. This would be our 5th RV. We have owned two Class A Winnebago's (one gas and one diesel), a gas class C Jayco and a Prowler trailer. We would be buying from Camping World in Denver, and we realize from the reviews that their service center is a nightmare. We would be looking to have it serviced somewhere else in Colorado when necessary. They have the unit we like and have offered a good interest rate, otherwise we would look somewhere else. Any input or advice would be appreciated before we sign on the dotted line.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:50 PM   #2

Model: ACE 29.3
State: New York
THOR #3187
When we purchased from Camping World we were assured that service was top notch and there is no such thing. I would get a local service center locally and build a relationship with that place. Yes you can get a better deal buying it from CW but not servicing.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First, in your area, contact other Thor dealers and ask if they are willing to service units they do not sell. This is a big issue in the RV world.

Second, take the offer from Camping World to another dealer with a reputable service department and see if they will match the offer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:15 PM   #4

THOR #3579
Good advice, any opinions on the RV we are looking at it? Good or bad?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:36 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: Arizona
THOR #368
We had a 2014 Four Winds 33SW which is the same platform. It was very problematic at first until Thor customer service got involved. We bought it at CW and it spent most of the first six months of ownership in the CW repair shop. Once Thor got involved and directed us to take it to another repair facility, within two weeks it was nearly perfect. Most of our problems were with CW. To put it mildly, they suck!!!! We got a great deal and they probably have the best deals if you don't want to use one of the large out-of-state internet dealers like MHSRV. The 33SW had been a wonderful unit for the last two years of ownership. This past November when we traded it in on a 2016 Palazzo. Again we went to CW and got a fantastic deal, and again we had to get Thor involved because the CW customer service is non-existant once you drive off the lot. Our Palazzo is wonderful but only because of Thor. They are the best company I have ever delt with and my coach of choice will always be a Thor. But I will not ever even buy a roll of toilet paper again from CW.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:29 AM   #6

THOR #3579
Thank you Bosty - after reading the yelp reviews and google reviews on Camping World in Denver - I think I need to run, not walk, away.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #7

THOR #368
Not sure how CW stays in business. Almost all of them receive negative evaluations. On my last purchase, I wrote a multiple page letter to the VP of my local store and sent a copy to CW CEO listing numerous complaints. I never got so much as a notification that they received my letter or even a polite screw you. They just ignored me!!! They never even completed the items found on my PDI walk through. On the other hand, I emailed a copy of my letter to Thor Customer Service, and within 20 minutes Thor was on the phone with me. Thor has provided the most wonderful customer service and I couldn't ask for more. Be leary of CW, but you can feel confident with a Thor product. Their Super C units are awesome if you want a Class C, and the Ford F550 chassis is as good as it gets.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #8

Model: Super C Chateau 35SK
State: Texas
THOR #921
PM sent.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #9

Model: ACE 29.3
State: New York
THOR #3187
Yes I am screwed because I contacted THOR and there is no other service center in my area but CW. So I am screwed.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Ask thor if they would send out a mobile tech
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #11

THOR #368
You have a dealer in Colorado Springs that sells Chateau Pikes Peak RV Traveland. I don't know if they carry the Super C units, but they should, at least, be able to service the unit. If you have to purchase at CW, do your PDI walk through before you sign on the dotted line and don't sign any papers until the unit is perfect according to your needs. That way it doesn't have to sit on the lot for weeks while you wait to get it back after the sale. That's the type of game they always try to play. Do that and you shouldn't have any problems. If they won't do that for you then walk away. The factory warranty is only one year anyway. After that, you can go anywhere you want that services RVs. Make sure to buy an extended warranty. Those can generally be used at any RV service center.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosty View Post
You have a dealer in Colorado Springs that sells Chateau Pikes Peak RV Traveland. I don't know if they carry the Super C units, but they should, at least, be able to service the unit. If you have to purchase at CW, do your PDI walk through before you sign on the dotted line and don't sign any papers until the unit is perfect according to your needs. That way it doesn't have to sit on the lot for weeks while you wait to get it back after the sale. That's the type of game they always try to play. Do that and you shouldn't have any problems. If they won't do that for you then walk away. The factory warranty is only one year anyway. After that, you can go anywhere you want that services RVs. Make sure to buy an extended warranty. Those can generally be used at any RV service center.
Did you buy your extended warranty thru Thor or did you go out and buy one on the open market?
Old 02-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #13

THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieL64 View Post
We currently own a 2004 Winnebago Journey 39K diesel pusher, but frankly it is too huge for us to maneuver in the places we like to go and does not have the sleeping capacity of the 35SB. We have had issues in our Winnebago but realize with RVing that we will have issues with any RV. We love the diesel in this Chateau and we need it to pull our 5500 pound boat. We live in the Rocky Mountains and need the power to pull over the passes. This would be our 5th RV. We have owned two Class A Winnebago's (one gas and one diesel), a gas class C Jayco and a Prowler trailer. We would be buying from Camping World in Denver, and we realize from the reviews that their service center is a nightmare. We would be looking to have it serviced somewhere else in Colorado when necessary. They have the unit we like and have offered a good interest rate, otherwise we would look somewhere else. Any input or advice would be appreciated before we sign on the dotted line.
I think its tough to advise on what to buy, now where is a different story. As we learn more about RVing it boils down to what works for you. We bought a 25 footer with the intention of going bigger later but we are finding out it suites our style perfect. Easy to drive around plenty of room for us etc. Good luck
Old 02-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #14

THOR #368
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Did you buy your extended warranty thru Thor or did you go out and buy one on the open market?
I have always purchased the Good Sam Extended Warranty, and find it to be exceptional. I have owned several new RV's and have purchased a Good Sam extended warranty for all of them. They seem to cover so much more than the others. It is a Camping World product, and as much as I dislike CW, this is one thing I believe is well worth the expense and provides great peace of mind. You are not required to have repairs made at CW, but can go to any qualified RV repair facility as long as you get approval prior to the start of the repair. It is also transferable or refundable if you ever sell or trade your RV.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #15

THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosty View Post
I have always purchased the Good Sam Extended Warranty, and find it to be exceptional. I have owned several new RV's and have purchased a Good Sam extended warranty for all of them. They seem to cover so much more than the others. It is a Camping World product, and as much as I dislike CW, this is one thing I believe is well worth the expense and provides great peace of mind. You are not required to have repairs made at CW, but can go to any qualified RV repair facility as long as you get approval prior to the start of the repair. It is also transferable or refundable if you ever sell or trade your RV.
That's good to hear I was thinking about buying one but I assumed you had to go to CW and the closest is 3 hours from me. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #16

THOR #368
I've always got mine at the dealership, but you can get them online too. Here is the link: RV vehicle warranty coverage, RV repair, mechanical breakdown insurance program – Good Sam Extended Service Plan
Old 02-03-2016, 11:55 PM   #17
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Last RV I got a Good Sam's Extended Service Plan... It was an older unit - and I intentionally set a high deductible - really using it as a 'catastrophic safety net'. (also kept premiums reasonable on the 10+ year old RV).
Never collected on it - and traded in the RV at 15 years - which is when the Good Sam's warranty would stop covering it..

New RV I bought the Cornerstone plan from the dealer with a much lower deductible... Still trying to get the deductible fixed from the first visit - dealer and Cornerstone pointing at each other as the problem... and I'm 1,000+ miles away.

The service plan deductible applies once to all problems you report at the time - so keep a list and make it count...

The downside (to me) of these is that an RV dealer has to diagnose and submit the claim for coverage. Many things I can (and would rather) do myself - but the service plan requires me to make an appointment and be without the RV and hope the dealer does it right (unless I want to foot the bill for the parts of course).
Several have posted that under warranty Thor would send them the parts... doesn't work that way when under 'service plan' that I have found.

Of course for those pesky 'intermittent problems' - both the warranty and the extended service plans have the same issue - if they can't recreate it - they won't fix it... but they will sure charge you for the diagnostics... (not a covered benefit since they didn't find anything wrong...)

With weeks lead time to get an appointment at one dealer... and 'bring it in but we can't tell you when we'll get to it' at the other... I need to find something better.... but still like the peace of mind that a major problem would be covered.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #18

THOR #3579
Well we bought it and love it

We actually did more research and decided not to buy at Camping World and bought at MHSRV. We drove down from Colorado and it was worth it. We have had it now for a few months and absolutely love this RV. There have been some bugs, but honestly with RVing you get those no matter what. We love the engine, this thing can keep up with anything on a mountain pass! We love the space, the memory foam king size bed is fantastic and the outdoor kitchen is great. What we don't like is that the residential fridge is terrible for boondocking, but I do love the size of it. Winterizing can be terrible also. Our auto-gen does not work so we have to bring it in to fix that. The outside latches on the storage compartments are pretty crappy along with the screen door, but its not a deal breaker. The response from Thor has been amazing. Our shade over the dinette broke so they sent us a new one in a week, our ladder also broke so they mailed us an entire new ladder. The customer service has been great. We just need to figure out a solution to the boondocking and fridge situation and get the auto-gen fixed but other than that - we love it!
Old 06-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #19

THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieL64 View Post
We actually did more research and decided not to buy at Camping World and bought at MHSRV. We drove down from Colorado and it was worth it. We have had it now for a few months and absolutely love this RV. There have been some bugs, but honestly with RVing you get those no matter what. We love the engine, this thing can keep up with anything on a mountain pass! We love the space, the memory foam king size bed is fantastic and the outdoor kitchen is great. What we don't like is that the residential fridge is terrible for boondocking, but I do love the size of it. Winterizing can be terrible also. Our auto-gen does not work so we have to bring it in to fix that. The outside latches on the storage compartments are pretty crappy along with the screen door, but its not a deal breaker. The response from Thor has been amazing. Our shade over the dinette broke so they sent us a new one in a week, our ladder also broke so they mailed us an entire new ladder. The customer service has been great. We just need to figure out a solution to the boondocking and fridge situation and get the auto-gen fixed but other than that - we love it!
Great to hear you are happy and have great travels.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #20

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
AnnieL64 - super story. You did your homework and it sounds like it paid off. At a minimum you went into the MHSRV with your eyes wide open. You bought for price and hopefully you'll find a competent service center. You have found what we found, Thor Warranty will work with you and most times will send you the parts for your own installation.