Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2022, 06:08 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
As Judge says - stuff can happen. I never gave the pump much thought - on or off. On our last trip, I hit a pothole; cupboard opened (for the first time); a dish fell out; hit the kitchen tap and turned it on. We had water all over the place before I got it pulled over. Now, I check to make sure the pump is off. And will turn the city water off too when I'm not around. Stuff happens.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:10 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Back to the start/finish line. Was this your first trip out in a brand new MH or was this the first time after several trips that this happened? It could be, while loading the shower up with junk (pump was off), someone/something bumped the shower knob open and then activating the pump later at a rest area stop or somewhere started the issue. Usually there is not a dedicated water line to the shower. I would just empty the shower of junk and test this again. I can't imagine how a shower knob can jiggle itself open. Lastly, always turn pump off when traveling, leaving coach for a while or just not using water. Any waterline could break or come loose from any connector at anytime and flood everything.
I am gonna get in your corner and watch this play out because this sounds as credible as anything thus far. I do see some irony that many don't drive with water pump on, but most do drive with gas on? I can't recall using City Fill other than filling tank. So to me; I always thought we were doing good to only have water pressure with water pump and when we were in the coach. But I am taking it under advisement to keep the water pump off as much as possible, be safe and limit use (if any) while coach is underway.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:12 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongrant View Post
As Judge says - stuff can happen. I never gave the pump much thought - on or off. On our last trip, I hit a pothole; cupboard opened (for the first time); a dish fell out; hit the kitchen tap and turned it on. We had water all over the place before I got it pulled over. Now, I check to make sure the pump is off. And will turn the city water off too when I'm not around. Stuff happens.
When we go out ANYWHERE pump off city water off
Old 07-11-2022, 10:33 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Thor does do this. The firefly system has a switch for the pump in every bath, next to the kitchen sink and in the master control panel. I have 5 locations to turn pump on/off.
Maybe if you have the misery prone firefly, but not on other coaches.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:51 PM   #25

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Good point ..our bmpro app works 99.99%
Old 07-11-2022, 11:11 PM   #26

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
I always have the pump off when driving. We walk right passed the pump on the way to the bathroom, so It works great. I also leave my gray tank open while driving, get every drop out. I also leave my fresh water tank open when not using it because Ace motorhomes always leave water behind in the tank. When camping the pump is off when leaving the motorhome
Old 07-11-2022, 11:37 PM   #27

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post

You sure have a miserable outlook on life. Complaining about stuff you know something about (not much) is one thing but you mouth off about and slam things you have no experience with. I know hearing this probably makes you smile...so glad I can make your day a bit brighter.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:30 PM   #28

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
Interesting conversation Bill. How many leave the gray tank water valve open? Thor has made it shorter, so the external door can be closed while valve is open. I always have it closed and use it to flush the black tank. Always felt there was a sanitary side of this, dumping on the public road ways...i know its shower water with soap, and kitchen water and soap and some left over cereal.
Off topic... but for clarification:

Many campgrounds and state parks in the eastern U.S. have designated dry wells. If you're not familiar with these, they are essentially pits dug several feet deep and filled with gravel. They are intended for dumping measured amounts of gray water (not a 30 gallon tank at a time) such as a tub of dish water.

If people adhered to the concept of gray water, it could be dumped safely onto the ground (or roadway) where it would be absorbed/drain away with no harm. The problem is that Americans treat their RV gray water tank like a home sewage system - flushing all sorts of grease and food particles into it. It is then NOT gray water, but becomes technically an unfiltered cesspool. And dumping THAT on the open highways IS a problem.

I have no issue with people dumping gray water... provided it IS gray water.

Now, back to the original topic...
Old 07-12-2022, 02:19 PM   #29

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
After having a leaking toilet on a trip we always drive with the pump off, but I have NEVER thought about turning off the city water connection when leaving the RV. I will have to add that to the list of things to do...

For the people who leave your water pumps on, is it not real loud? Our pump is right under our bed and it's so loud that if we leave it on it's going to wake up my wife or kids if someone is using water...that's why we have always hooked up to city water.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:39 PM   #30

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmac450 View Post
After having a leaking toilet on a trip we always drive with the pump off, but I have NEVER thought about turning off the city water connection when leaving the RV. I will have to add that to the list of things to do...

For the people who leave your water pumps on, is it not real loud? Our pump is right under our bed and it's so loud that if we leave it on it's going to wake up my wife or kids if someone is using water...that's why we have always hooked up to city water.
On all night ..we use bathroom often..
No loud noise
Old 07-12-2022, 03:32 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
You sure have a miserable outlook on life. Complaining about stuff you know something about (not much) is one thing but you mouth off about and slam things you have no experience with. I know hearing this probably makes you smile...so glad I can make your day a bit brighter.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1657639962
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	40
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	38663  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:33 PM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:

Your water pump make noise? We can hear the toilet flush as it sounds like a tornado, but never heard the water pump.

We have two water pumps, one in the wet bay and the other under sink of outside kitchen. The latter is actually a drain pump that pushes the gray water to the black tank, but it is the exact same ShurFlo pump that pressurizes the water.

Our reasoning for avoiding city water at campsites for fresh water tank is that I rather use our home water that we brought with us.

But back to noise, only thing we hear are the ACs or fans spinning if they are on. We can't here the genny but if you lie on bed or floor you can feel the vibration.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-12-2022, 06:08 PM   #33

Model: Daybreak 30DB
THOR #22917
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Your water pump make noise? We can hear the toilet flush as it sounds like a tornado, but never heard the water pump.

We have two water pumps, one in the wet bay and the other under sink of outside kitchen. The latter is actually a drain pump that pushes the gray water to the black tank, but it is the exact same ShurFlo pump that pressurizes the water.

Our reasoning for avoiding city water at campsites for fresh water tank is that I rather use our home water that we brought with us.

But back to noise, only thing we hear are the ACs or fans spinning if they are on. We can't here the genny but if you lie on bed or floor you can feel the vibration.
Well, I just googled it and it looks like there is a super easy fix...I'll be performing this mod soon and let everyone know how it goes!

Also, you said you can't hear your generator? Holy crap, my rig must have been built on a Monday or Friday...mine is super loud too! Time for more googling.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:52 PM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:
Well, I just googled it and it looks like there is a super easy fix...I'll be performing this mod soon and let everyone know how it goes!

Also, you said you can't hear your generator? Holy crap, my rig must have been built on a Monday or Friday...mine is super loud too! Time for more googling.

Wow

This is when I like the site, everyone sees things differently and those that are open minded get a wealth of information for free (sort of).

That video was great, because now I know what you meant by noise. I really hopes it fixes your problem, because it is Tuesday and my support fee drops to $500

My brothers 2800 propane generator in his Sprinter is the loudest I have ever heard. He hates and will only use it when driving.

We have 5500 in the rear it is under floor of MBR but directly under slide, drawers and a TV. At night it is normally in AGS mode, but at 8:00 AM sometimes it comes on. I feel it from vibration of laying in bed. But the most telling and prolly my biggest pet peeve with my RV, when driving, it is hard for me to tell if generator is on or off? It cycles with the AC thermostat. I guess we gonna have to stop this but my DW would go back there to check, with road noise it is hard to hear so she will have to look for red LED on AGS controller. I wish I had indicator in near or on dashboard.

With all that said, I have heard the 4000 gennys are louder than 5500s? I have no proof; but I have heard it several times. When outside under awning in RV, you will never know the genny is runny unless the wind is blowing the heat back under the RV. Now if I open the compartment, remove the green door and manually start it, it always scares the crap out of me, and yes that is loud.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:30 AM   #35

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Virginia
THOR #26580
Makes sense, water off if you'll be away... Pump off unless you need it.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:41 AM   #36

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Virginia
THOR #26580
Gritz, the knob would be on every time we would stop. So you had to check knob before turning on pump. I did not know about flow button near shower head until this thread so I have turned that off as well. I just laid the shower head in the floor pan in case we were out of sequence so it'd go down the drain.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:30 PM   #37

THOR #13058
What you describe can only be be faulty valve or cartridge if it has one.

As I stated earlier we replaced ours, not for your reason, but to eliminating the science it took to keep the water balanced between hot and cold and to not get Zapped when we used that shower button (which we use all the time btw)

We went from two knobs to one knob and it looks a lot nicer. $40 bucks with high prices as we paid maybe $25 3years ago. It works like a champ.

https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Shower...78708179&psc=1

I suspect it is easier to do this than try to add a inline cutoff which is NOT fixing the problem.
Old 07-16-2022, 07:26 PM   #38

Model: AXIS 25.2
THOR #6051
It's not good to drive with the pump on. While moving, things like pipes and connections, vibrate, move ever so slightly. A connection can come loose and flood your coach, and cause damage.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:03 PM   #39

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
I was thinking, my pump switch is on the other side of the bathroom wall. I could run a switch right by the toilet for the few times needed on the road, or your doing your business and forgot to turn the pump on
Old 07-18-2022, 02:29 PM   #40

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Leaving the pump on or off has become a moot point for us since we bought this coach. Our pump switch stays on at all times unless we leave the coach for the day. I don't know what engineer/designer decided putting all the switches for water pump, genny & hot water heater high above the steps on the ACE but obviously he didn't have a 4'11" wife. Piss poor design IMHO. Someday I will move the control board down but at the moment I have other more pressing mods to attend to.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote