Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2022, 03:16 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Generator/water pump "loudness" is entirely subjective for several reasons.

* The size and construction of the motorhome makes a huge difference.
* The location of the generator/pump when sampling the sound output.
* Hearing sensitivity to different frequencies of sound produced.
* Ambient noise (air conditioner) masking other sounds.

The same principles apply to water pumps, or literally any sound generated within the motorhome. So, asking a question like "Is your generator/water pump loud?" will elicit a whole spectrum of responses. Some will claim it sounds like a jackhammer; others may respond "What generator noise?".

The only consistent method is using a single properly calibrated decibel meter. A more realistic approach is deciding whether it is acceptable to YOU. As an example, while driving I can hear squeaks and rattles that my wife is oblivious to. During my 40+ years of operating machinery most likely conditioned me to unconsciously listen for "odd noises"... and now it haunts me!

Old 07-19-2022, 04:09 AM   #42

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Well, I got a video and tried to put some felt between my pump. It didn’t help much but there is about 30 things shaking and vibrating so I’m sure I can get it a little better. Knuckle heads mounted the pump just close enough for it to hit! Sorry for getting this thread off topic!

https://youtube.com/shorts/QIM9jnBpKvs?feature=share

And yes, that’s the way that compartment looked from the factory…ugh!
Old 07-20-2022, 05:37 PM   #43

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
The ability to move around underway is EXACTLY why we bought a motorhome instead of a trailer. But, just because you can doesn't mean you should. If somebody needs to go to the bathroom or grab a drink from the fridge, some situations are far more dangerous than others.

Speed isn't the primary consideration. In fact, there is less change of a sudden incident at higher speeds.

Best times to move around the cabin? Stopped at a red light. Moving at a steady speed on a controlled access highway.

Worst times? Stop and go traffic. In town with red lights, stop signs, and connecting roads. Any congestion.

Oh! Back to the topic.....
Leave your water pump switched off underway except when you have a brief need for water, such as a quick flush. That will prevent many types of mishaps.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:32 PM   #44

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley1 View Post
The ability to move around underway is EXACTLY why we bought a motorhome instead of a trailer. But, just because you can doesn't mean you should. If somebody needs to go to the bathroom or grab a drink from the fridge, some situations are far more dangerous than others.

Speed isn't the primary consideration. In fact, there is less change of a sudden incident at higher speeds.

Best times to move around the cabin? Stopped at a red light. Moving at a steady speed on a controlled access highway.

Worst times? Stop and go traffic. In town with red lights, stop signs, and connecting roads. Any congestion.

Oh! Back to the topic.....
Leave your water pump switched off underway except when you have a brief need for water, such as a quick flush. That will prevent many types of mishaps.
That was my basic belief an approach, but will be more attentive to how often and when any one get up. But I am prepared to commit and promise now that when I am driving I will never get up to go to the bathroom unless I pull over and stop. I don't mind making sacrifices

When we were shopping RVs, we looked at one of those $500k RVs, it had all of the slides in, and you could not walk through it. From the very front what would be the hallway was completely sealed. If you needed to go to the back you had to climb over furniture I didn't get that at all, but walking around while driving was not an option. I passed on that coach and saved a lot of money too

But the water pump switch being on does NOT concerns me. Because of this thread; it may be that now when I preparing for a trip; if I remember I may turn it off; but normally, I have the problem the other way around. Forgetting to have something ON that I want ON; and having to stop to turn it ON, i.e. AGS, thermostat setting, fridge in inverter etc. If a leak is going to occur; it matters not to me if I am driving, or sitting around at a campsite; it is bad news.

City Fill is entirely different. We never user City pressure inside; only to fill fresh water tank. We disconnect and good for 5 - 7 days.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:44 AM   #45

THOR #16721
With only two of us in the motorhome, we have a mindset of "on demand" for the water pump and hot water - even with an old school 6-gallon type hot water tank.

Heading to bathroom? Flip on the pump. Fixing dinner/washing dishes? Same. The hot water takes all of 10 minutes to heat. I consider the water pump an appliance. It's off unless needed.
Old 07-21-2022, 03:02 AM   #46

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
With only two of us in the motorhome, we have a mindset of "on demand" for the water pump and hot water - even with an old school 6-gallon type hot water tank.

Heading to bathroom? Flip on the pump. Fixing dinner/washing dishes? Same. The hot water takes all of 10 minutes to heat. I consider the water pump an appliance. It's off unless needed.
Now we don't run the hot water heater while traveling. Because we don't have ANY gas running while traveling. Ironically the water is very warm if not lukewarm hot anyway during summer.

I get the better practice habit of flipping the switch for water pump on/off when in need. But if it is only for the benefit that one expects a leak may occur while driving...? then that is not important in my mind. There is difference between best practice and important. I survived a leaking gray water tank that was overflowing at the fitting on top of the tank, but below the floor; I should be able to survive a fresh water leak should one ever occur. Delaying by a few hours when I may notice the leak is no benefit for me. Alas if it serves the purpose of the thread, perhaps I should revert to a practice of traveling with my fresh water tank empty; so when pump is on and if leak occurs; there is no water to leak. I can then drop the pressures in my tires 1 psi each and get a smoother ride
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-21-2022, 02:05 PM   #47

THOR #16721
I look at the whole scenario as "developing a habit"... the more I do it, the easier it becomes - and eventually without even thinking about it. My logic is there's less chance of leaving the pump ON when away from the MH. On the rare occasion a leak would occur, the only water leaked would be what's expelled from the plumbing pipes by the latent pressure. How likely is a leak? Odds are probably 1000:1 against it. But it's that one time that ruins your day. And I like to think I have it semi-contained.

On topic, if our shower were to turn on while driving, not much water would come out with the pump off. No big deal. But with the pump ON, it would likely turn into a chaotic "What the hell is THAT?" moment!

My theory on the water heater is propane savings... not so much about cost, but just not wasting it. So far we have made it the entire season on one tank event with occasional furnace use in the shoulder seasons.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:40 PM   #48

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:

Bingo!!! Our standard also. Both baths and the kitchen area have a separate pump switch. Pump on...pee...pump off. Same with water heater...on in the AM for showers and then off. I do let it run for a bit to reheat the water then it goes off. It will supply warm water all day for hand washing. One of our standard questions..."did you turn pump off...is the fridge door locked?". You will only dump the fridge contents across the floor ONCE!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:47 PM   #49

THOR #13058
Quote:

On topic, if our shower were to turn on while driving, not much water would come out with the pump off. No big deal. But with the pump ON, it would likely turn into a chaotic "What the hell is THAT?" moment!

[Koldman] If our shower turned on which in our case it is more likely than OPs because we have single handle lever, we would hear the water running into shower. The water would simply go down the drain until we stopped it. I usually never drive more than 2 hours max without stopping and when I do, I always go to the Bathroom

My theory on the water heater is propane savings... not so much about cost, but just not wasting it. So far we have made it the entire season on one tank event with occasional furnace use in the shoulder seasons.
My motivation on leaving heater off while driving is safety. I never sniff empty on propane because I always top it off before every trip. Typically I spend $12 - $20 whenever I need propane.
Old 07-21-2022, 03:50 PM   #50

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Bingo!!! Our standard also. Both baths and the kitchen area have a separate pump switch. Pump on...pee...pump off. Same with water heater...on in the AM for showers and then off. I do let it run for a bit to reheat the water then it goes off. It will supply warm water all day for hand washing. One of our standard questions..."did you turn pump off...is the fridge door locked?". You will only dump the fridge contents across the floor ONCE!
We need a thread on that, because we go back and forth on whether that detente on Norcold was actually snapped or if it was my driving that caused the the door to swing open? Regardless, Norcold needs a better mechanical way to failproof accidental openings. We need to find that thread if it exist?
Old 07-21-2022, 04:01 PM   #51
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
We need a thread on that, because we go back and forth on whether that detente on Norcold was actually snapped or if it was my driving that caused the the door to swing open? Regardless, Norcold needs a better mechanical way to failproof accidental openings. We need to find that thread if it exist?
I've had problems with the bedroom door sliding open while driving
I've had problems with the pantry sliding open while driving
I've even had the occasional drawer slide open while driving

I've never had the Norcold fridge doors open while driving. My latches seem to work as designed.

Gotta go find some wood to knock on now.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:13 PM   #52

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
When you need to knock on wood, seems nothing around but plastic!! You're next. Wrap the pickle jar with bubble wrap...it's the nastiest thing in there when it breaks.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:54 PM   #53

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I've had problems with the bedroom door sliding open while driving
I've had problems with the pantry sliding open while driving
I've even had the occasional drawer slide open while driving

I've never had the Norcold fridge doors open while driving. My latches seem to work as designed.

Gotta go find some wood to knock on now.
Never had the bedroom door slide open, it has a snap connector.
Never had the pantry slide open, it is heavy and takes a little effort to slide out when needed; we seldom use ( it is where I hide my real beverages )

The Norcold will occasionally open when making a hard turn at a slow speed, or kind of abrupt curve.

When it happens; we don't know if it was because the Fridge was closed, but not firm on the detente, or maybe it was the weight of the coke cans and beer bottles on the door?

I will have to experiment one day with water bottles. I will fill up the door and 100% confirm the door is snapped shut and drive around town being aggressive in turns to see what happens.

I can say this with confidence, our water pump has been ON and the shower has never come on no matter how rough it gets. Since OP is sure it happens without someone or something accidentally hitting the knobs, my fix would NOT be to simply turn the water pump off. I would replace the fixture.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:22 PM   #54

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Yep... sounds like our routine! Never had our fridge open... YET. But with the crappy crater filled roads, I'm thinking about wedging an expandable shower curtain rod between the fridge door and wardrobe closet!
Old 07-21-2022, 06:31 PM   #55
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Never had the bedroom door slide open, it has a snap connector.
Never had the pantry slide open, it is heavy and takes a little effort to slide out when needed; we seldom use ( it is where I hide my real beverages )

The Norcold will occasionally open when making a hard turn at a slow speed, or kind of abrupt curve.

When it happens; we don't know if it was because the Fridge was closed, but not firm on the detente, or maybe it was the weight of the coke cans and beer bottles on the door?

I will have to experiment one day with water bottles. I will fill up the door and 100% confirm the door is snapped shut and drive around town being aggressive in turns to see what happens.

I can say this with confidence, our water pump has been ON and the shower has never come on no matter how rough it gets. Since OP is sure it happens without someone or something accidentally hitting the knobs, my fix would NOT be to simply turn the water pump off. I would replace the fixture.
Don't need to drive around town; just find a gas station or parking lot entryway with an entrance that uses a "dip curb" and take it at an angle. Those things can rock the MH left and right extremely well. It was those things that caused my pantry and sliding door to break looses and self-eject.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote