Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2021, 02:15 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Definitely no on the black tank and as we have two grey tanks one for the shower and one for the galley I keep both gray tanks closed as well. The shower gray gets dumped every couple days and the galley gray tank we can usually get 4-5 days of washing dishes before it requires a dump.
Once you get that new coach on a full hook up site you will get the feel for what works best for you. That 25 gallon gray tank might get full quick depending on how many are using the shower so leaving it open may be the way to go for you.
Happy Travels
Mark

Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:18 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
When we get to a campsite, we don't even hook up the sewer until we need it.

Note: We don't haul a toad, and we are quick to drive our RV into town or to some nearby destination. Of course we are never in one spot more than 3 days, or I will go crazy.

I connect only when / if the gray gets to 2/3rds. Our Bathroom sink flows to the gray which originally I thought I hated, but over time I have learned it works to perfection the way we use. Our Gray ALWAYS fills before our Black. When I do hook up sewer, it is to dump the Black tank first whatever it may have ( I don't check the level), and then followed by the Gray which is at least 2/3rds. I over do the Sani Flush when at a campsite sewer hook up I try to have both empty when we leave if for no other reason to reduce the weight to give me more power to pass trucks.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:38 AM   #23

State: Arizona
THOR #19571
If you're using tank chemicals like you should, leaving the black open just dumps your chemicals "down the toilet" (see what I did there?).
Chemicals are designed to work best with a large amount of water. That way it kills odor causing Mugre on your walls.
Believe it or not, driving with a semi full black tank is good too as it breaks everything up into a nice stew that is more likely to dump without leaving debris behind.
We leave black closed until we absolutely have to dump it. We fill it with fresh water to get the most mass suction effect if we have to dump but it isn't full yet. We leave grey open until next to last day and then close it to have a nice warm soapy cocktail to massingil the hose and connectors after the black is dumped.
Added note: if you have two valves on the black tank leaving the upper one open while the lower is closed defeats a lot of the purpose of the chemicals as they just settle into the lower plumbing without ever being able to coat the walls of the tank as they are intended to do.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:52 PM   #24

State: New York
THOR #18343
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlyzbldcj View Post
Thank you everyone....I thought they should be closed wife says open so they can just run out.....thanks I finally win a disagreement!!!! LOL!
Here’s your plaque…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C975B846-C19E-4204-8097-26D1E37693D2.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	31502  
Old 06-20-2021, 12:56 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Are you sure that Historical Marker isn't a myth?
I thought the last argument we won; was back in the Dark Ages.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:24 PM   #26

Model: Miramar 37.1 SOLD
State: Michigan
THOR #2972
Black and grey Tank smell

I have read several people talking about smells and chemicals, if your RV system is designed right and (up to code) why would you need to close your grey tank (I understand the Black tank reason), P-traps in the system are designed to keep the smell out of the RV, the only problem I see is if the Studor Air Admittance Valves fail which I have had one fail me several times because of the quality and cheapness of the product. Even a toilet tank seal fail because it was installed wrong by the factory. I am just curious about what people think about other reasons for the smell to get in.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:34 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You keep the graywater tank closed; so that you'll have a good supply of water for rinsing out the slinky after a blackwater dump.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:53 PM   #28

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Silly question

I think this all about what you are comfortable doing. When hooked up in a campground I leave the gray water valve open. Since the kitchen sink and shower have a trap we don’t get any smell in the coach. When the black tank gets 2/3 full I will close the gray water valve and build up a little gray water flush volume - don’t need much. After the black tank dump I open the gray water and do a flush.

The day before we leave I will close the gray water valve and again build up a flush volume. Then dump the black and close it up, then dump the gray and close it up and step on the toilet flush for 30 seconds to give a little water in the black tank. I run on the road with empty tanks.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:59 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
X 2 on empty tanks for travelling.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:35 AM   #30

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlyzbldcj View Post
Thank you everyone....I thought they should be closed wife says open so they can just run out.....thanks I finally win a disagreement!!!! LOL!
Keep the black tank closed and get it as full as you can. The force of the water pressure with a full tank will help get the solids out. Then, hook up the sani-rinse if you have one for 5 or 10 minutes, then I go in and turn on the bathroom sink and fill the black tank again, especially if I'm leaving the park and drain a second time. You can leave the gray tank valve open without much concern but remember to close it the day before you leave so you can rinse your drain hose after the black tank drain!!! That's my protocol...
Old 06-21-2021, 11:06 AM   #31

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
We have two black tanks and as the majority do, they remain closed until level indicates time to dump

While operating the washing machine that receiving tank is always open

As Ducksface noted, we typically utilize onboard water

If you use shore water you need to watch tank levels much more closely

With two black tanks the macerator toilet receiving tank is dumped last
Old 06-22-2021, 06:27 AM   #32

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
We keep ours closed and check the indicators every other day. If the black needs to be dumped, start it first, then chase it with the gray water to cleanse the hose.
Gary

GVP