Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #19740
Sleep Number Bed

Looking to upgrade the mattress on our 2018 Aria 3901. Has anyone replaced theirs with a sleep number? If so what size did you go with? The reason I’m asking is the dimensions of my current Rv king mattress is 75 1/2 x 70 (strange), and it matches the platform perfectly, but the spec for my rig states the mattress should be 80x72.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
That sounds like a shrunk down RV Short King (72" x 75").

72" x 80" is a standard size known as an RV King.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:40 PM   #3

State: Alabama
THOR #19740
Sleep Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That sounds like a shrunk down RV Short King (72" x 75").

72" x 80" is a standard size known as an RV King.
Thank you. 72x75 will work
Old 02-17-2021, 12:58 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum, and sleep tight!
Old 02-17-2021, 02:47 AM   #5

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Hi. Our 18 Aria does have the full king 72X80 mattress. If you go with a sleep number, they have one specifically for RVs designed so that the changes in air pressure as you drive over passes will not cause catastrophic failure.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:34 AM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #6433
We love the sleep number we put in ours, I can’t speak for your coach as we can only get the RV queen in ours. We do air ours down when we travel so we don’t have any problems with change of elevation
Old 02-17-2021, 01:45 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
We love the sleep number we put in ours, I can’t speak for your coach as we can only get the RV queen in ours. We do air ours down when we travel so we don’t have any problems with change of elevation
We have the same coach (but a 2019) - and are considering a Sleep Number to replace the lousy original mattress. We have them on all the beds in our home, and love them. How/where did you rig the compressor and hoses?
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:39 AM   #8

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
We have the same coach (but a 2019) - and are considering a Sleep Number to replace the lousy original mattress. We have them on all the beds in our home, and love them. How/where did you rig the compressor and hoses?
I put it under the bed in the back corner. I ran the power cord through the side of the storage compartment. And then ran the tubes through the top. We got a longer quest because I am 6’5 so I air it down all the way and slide the mattress up to get the slide in.

These are the best pics I have right now it’s too cold and snowy out to get more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E64B4B25-3DD1-4838-9B84-8AA2EEBC76E5.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	28616   Click image for larger version

Name:	4C14F6B6-C5F3-46BA-BD66-0C0899333BD6.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	28617  

Old 02-18-2021, 03:53 AM   #9

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
I put it under the bed in the back corner. I ran the power cord through the side of the storage compartment. And then ran the tubes through the top. We got a longer quest because I am 6’5 so I air it down all the way and slide the mattress up to get the slide in.

These are the best pics I have right now it’s too cold and snowy out to get more.
We have King in our ACE 27.2. It is the crappy Denver mattress with the folding hinge to facilitate bringing in the slide. I am curious. Can the sleep number mattress collapse far enough when aired down to bend? 2nd how long does it take to deflate and inflate the mattress? Finally what are you using for a compressor?
I promised the DW this spring I would find a decent replacement for that factory installed uncomfortable beast. The damn hinge in the mattress has been my issue. I have been talking to an a local furniture upholstery place about slicing a new memory foam mattress and making a hinge but the sleep number may be an easier way to go
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:14 AM   #10

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
We have King in our ACE 27.2. It is the crappy Denver mattress with the folding hinge to facilitate bringing in the slide. I am curious. Can the sleep number mattress collapse far enough when aired down to bend? 2nd how long does it take to deflate and inflate the mattress? Finally what are you using for a compressor?
I promised the DW this spring I would find a decent replacement for that factory installed uncomfortable beast. The damn hinge in the mattress has been my issue. I have been talking to an a local furniture upholstery place about slicing a new memory foam mattress and making a hinge but the sleep number may be an easier way to go
I can’t find a picture of where the bed folds or what it looks like on your coach. . But I air mine down all the way and it folds fairly easy. I have to fold back about a foot and half to give room for our slide. Our model wasn’t designed that way so I would imagine if the base folds that would make it easier to lift the mattress. It takes 5 to 10 mins to air down all the way to flat. The air compressor comes with the bed and is super quiet. Takes about the same time to air back up. Depends on how hard you like the mattress. The biggest thing is running the air tubes I wasn’t thinking and I should had ran those at the head of the bed that way I just had to fold the foot of the bed. But since I did it backwards I have to fold the head of the bed. If that makes sense
Old 02-24-2021, 09:57 PM   #11

Model: Chateau V25
State: California
THOR #19470
We have a King in the back of ours that can also convert to two twins with space in the middle which is how we use it. We converted our mfr foam "block mattress" which twin Sleep Numbers. We have the pump stored in a small space under one of the beds but unattached since we rarely need to change the pressure. I like 40, the wife 25.

When we first talked with SN about doing it, the rep said that would "void the warranty". Not sure why and we didn't ask. We just had them deliver and install in our living room and then we moved them into the RV.
puppygeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:46 AM   #12

State: Kansas
THOR #12311
King bed

We have a ACE 27.1 with a 72x75 king and we got hybrid memory foam from wilderness rv mattress, it is taller and much better than the Denver junk and fits like a glove
Old 02-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #29616
Alternative Choice

I have a Sleep Number bed at home & we love it. However when I decided to change our king bed to a queen for more room around the bed I decided to try a Sealy Cocoon mattress. This mattress comes in a box so it’s easy to get it into the bedroom in your RV. It’s amazing how it expands on the platform & it’s an extremely comfortable mattress. We have been RVers for 15 years & frequently travel through mountain areas so I didn’t want to deal with pressure changes. Exploding ketchup bottles when you open the top are enough for us. Changing the mattress was easy. The hard part was the ten hours to convert the inside portion of the slide & the bed platform from king to queen.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:42 PM   #14

State: Kansas
THOR #12311
Mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjatoto View Post
We have a ACE 27.1 with a 72x75 king and we got hybrid memory foam from wilderness rv mattress, it is taller and much better than the Denver junk and fits like a glove
Forgot, it comes in a box all vacuum sealed it is very heavy just lay down on platform and make it’s right side up and open it up
Old 02-26-2021, 11:51 PM   #15

State: Louisiana
THOR #16888
King size number mattress

We replaced our mattress with a king size number mattress. We have removed the hard plastic corners just to fit better. Feels wonderful and works great!