Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2022, 09:02 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Idaho
THOR #19426
slide out

2017 class C thor four winds 24 foot, when i put my slide out all the way out sometimes it will not retrack, I mess with the fuses and keep trying and then it will come in. What the hell is wrong. 1SG

Old 02-02-2022, 09:12 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Some of the slides have a delay, you push to open for 2 seconds, let go then push again, and activates. Could happen with retraction as well.

Good luck
Old 02-02-2022, 10:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenrose1sg View Post
2017 class C thor four winds 24 foot, when i put my slide out all the way out sometimes it will not retrack, I mess with the fuses and keep trying and then it will come in. What the hell is wrong. 1SG
What do you mean by " it will not retrack"? Does it move and stop? Does it not even try to move? Do the motors make any sound? What slide system?

Too many unknowns to even hazard a guess.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:30 AM   #4

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What do you mean by " it will not retrack"? Does it move and stop? Does it not even try to move? Do the motors make any sound? What year MH? What slide system?

Too many unknowns to even hazard a guess.
I think that they mean it will not retract.

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:50 AM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
I think that they mean it will not retract.
Thanks for that clarification - still clear as mud.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:19 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:05 AM   #7

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Quote:

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:55 PM   #8

THOR #19426
when it is all the way out it will not come in, but after messing with it it will come back in , the slide is a Schwintek
Old 02-03-2022, 10:23 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
when it is all the way out it will not come in, but after messing with it it will come back in , the slide is a Schwintek
Still clear as mud. Did you see my questions above? And define "messing with it".

We are not mind readers here and although we really want to help, our crystal balls are too foggy. I try to clarify the symptoms by asking pertinent questions so the help is on target instead of WAGs.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:59 AM   #10

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Greetings and Welcome
1. Make sure the key is not in the ignition, slides won't work if mh is running OR key in ignition.
2 Check the slide controller, it should be in the compartment under the slide for error codes.
Here's a picture of the controller.

3. You might have damaged controller cables, check this thread.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...sue-29717.html

Good luck, it's always easer with a little help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220203_184701.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	36006  
Old 02-04-2022, 01:07 PM   #11

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I have a 2017 FW 24F which may be the same model as yours. Here is what I know to be true for my coach.

1. The slide will operate with the key in the ignition switch in the OFF position.
2. The slide will NOT operate with the ignition switch in any other position,
3. The USE/STORE switch must be in the USE position for the slide to work.

I found in one of the Slide manuals that holding the slide switch down before extending or retracting “wakes” the slide up. Before extending hold the slide button in the retract position for a few seconds, before retracting hold the slide button in the extend position for a few seconds.

On shore power or with the generator running my slide works every time. On battery, that’s a different story - sometimes it works first try and sometimes it takes a bit. The state of the battery charge and battery age are the key factors. If I’m boondocking I try to run the generator before extending or retracting the slide to take the load off of the batteries (2 in my case, 1 if stock delivery). If I have shore power available I won’t work the slide unless I’m plugged in. I try to avoid using the batteries as much a possible.

Given that, see if there is a difference working the slide connected to shore power/generator or on batteries.

A hard lesson learned for me was the stock battery was junk. If you still have it in your coach then I would replace it.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:48 PM   #12

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
I have a 2017 FW 24F which may be the same model as yours. Here is what I know to be true for my coach.

1. The slide will operate with the key in the ignition switch in the OFF position.

I found in one of the Slide manuals that holding the slide switch down before extending or retracting “wakes” the slide up. Before extending hold the slide button in the retract position for a few seconds, before retracting hold the slide button in the extend position for a few seconds.

On shore power or with the generator running my slide works every time. On battery, that’s a different story - sometimes it works first try and sometimes it takes a bit. The state of the battery charge and battery age are the key factors. If I’m boondocking I try to run the generator before extending or retracting the slide to take the load off of the batteries (2 in my case, 1 if stock delivery). If I have shore power available I won’t work the slide unless I’m plugged in. I try to avoid using the batteries as much a possible.

Given that, see if there is a difference working the slide connected to shore power/generator or on batteries.

A hard lesson learned for me was the stock battery was junk. If you still have it in your coach then I would replace it.
Hopefully the OP will return to read this excellent answer
Old 02-05-2022, 12:48 AM   #13

THOR #19426
Quote:

jimbo12 i always run the generator when i extend the slide or retracting it, I hold the slide switch down until the slide is all the way in or out, the key is in the off position, my batteries are new AllStates, I am not sure about what poisons I have the use/store switch in. 16AC, messing with it is replacing the fuse moving the brakers on and off and pulsing the slide switch on and off several times and then it has came in ( thank god). thanks guys for the help I hope this works.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:56 AM   #14

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
jimbo12 i always run the generator when i extend the slide or retracting it, I hold the slide switch down until the slide is all the way in or out, the key is in the off position, my batteries are new AllStates, I am not sure about what poisons I have the use/store switch in. 16AC, messing with it is replacing the fuse moving the brakers on and off and pulsing the slide switch on and off several times and then it has came in ( thank god). thanks guys for the help I hope this works.
ALWAYS hold the slide button down for at least 3 or 4 seconds after you hear the slide motors stop... both when extending AND retracting. This aids in synchronizing the slide motors so they move in unison to keep the slide square with the outside wall. Failing to do this may eventually result in a crooked slide which might bind or jam.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:17 PM   #15

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
Ok, one more thing that I read but can’t find right now. If the slide doesn’t want to work push the extend (or retract I can’t remember which) 4 times and try the slide. You’ve been pushing the slide buttons multiple times so you may be doing the 4 times thing. I will find the reference and post it when I get home. I do know the info came from another forum.

In the mean time I would unplug and plug in the cables to the controller to make sure they are making good contact. Bouncing around on the road causes things to come loose.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:02 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:

Thanks for the info. This “wake up” sounds like a good idea. Never thought of that before.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:09 PM   #17

THOR #19426
Jimbo12, I also have a 2017 Thor moter coach 24ft Fourwinds I have printed out all the blogs and put them in the RV THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP. 1SG
Old 02-09-2022, 07:53 PM   #18

State: California
THOR #7372
I have a 2017 Chateau C-class. I’ve had 3 failures with my front slide out. All 3 had to do with faulty wiring.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:33 PM   #19

Model: 24fe
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20046
Don't forget the "reset."

I have found that my slide controller will occasionally (not often) show an error code after the slide has been extended (less often upon retraction). This usually occurs right after the RV is first connected to shore power. The error code varies but it never has caused the slide to be inoperative. It has exhibited this behavior now for 4 years running. Important: When the error code lights are blinking, the controller has to be reset. You do this by simply pressing the slide button once. The next time one presses the switch to operate the slide it works as intended. If you just press the switch and hold when the controller needs to be reset, the slide will not respond. It should work on the second press and hold.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:55 PM   #20

Model: Ace 27.2
State: Ontario
THOR #11699
It all has to do with amp draw. When voltage is low the amps are high and will cause the controller to stop working and generate a fault code indicated by flashing lights on the controller. For my Lippert I have to push the little button 7 times and hold on the seventh until the lights go out.

The slides go out because the house batteries have been fully charged driving to the site. If boondocking, the voltage will be low when you want to leave in the morning causing high amps.

My boondocking rule is to start the generator in the morning for coffee and toast and then pull the slides in before the generator gets turned off.

Either way always check the voltage prior to working the slides. Less than 80% will cause issues. Loose wiring or other wiring issues will cause high amp draw.hi

With power at the post always plug in prior to working the slides.

One more point. Do not run the slide after it stops. Stop pushing the button as soon as the slide stops. I was always told to run for 3 seconds after it stopped but doing this will cause the motor to pop out of its seat. It is a pain to fix and will always be easier to pop out in the future.