Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Slide in/out

On my 2016 Miramar 34.2 I am noticing the slide gets hung up going in more than out. It actually sounds like a snap when it's going in. Does anybody else have this problem. It does go in, but it just sounds like it's getting hung up on something halfway through, then makes a jump and continues it's travel. I really am doing all I can to avoid taking this back in for repair, as I know they would have it for a while. Thank you ahead of time for any advice.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #2

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
slide trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
On my 2016 Miramar 34.2 I am noticing the slide gets hung up going in more than out. It actually sounds like a snap when it's going in. Does anybody else have this problem. It does go in, but it just sounds like it's getting hung up on something halfway through, then makes a jump and continues it's travel. I really am doing all I can to avoid taking this back in for repair, as I know they would have it for a while. Thank you ahead of time for any advice.
If it is doing that you have a broken gear maybe or you have "trash", wood, screw, bolt, flashlight......ya never know. Ours made a crunching sound twice........now even though we look, sweep and vacuum regularly during our stay and before we ever bring the slides in, one day it made that crunch like wood or something. Against most peoples advice (we never do) we put the slide out half way to be able to see and feel under the dinette and from the outside thru the seal.....we were surprised but not....it was an extra electrical outlet someone must have had in their pocket or nearby when they were doing under the dinette. But OOPS, guess they forgot or it got loose. Either way the slide was googling it around we guessed until it came into the slide's way her a corner and it was dragging it a bit. we had a heart attack at first- but after more examination we knew it was careless clean up not anything torn loose.......we are extremely vigilant about the seals inside and the are under the dinette that is open where things can go. Cereal maybe, a dog kibble and some dust bunnies but that is all we have found since that issue! The slide continues to function as it should! But just know that if there is a noise, it is not good! If no warranty it is still cheaper and less time consuming to call out a mobile guy than go back to a dealer. If STILL under warranty, call Thor and tell them you are on the road and need to authorize a mobile service call!! But maybe you will find that flashlight stuck up under there!
Old 05-13-2017, 10:24 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Wow, that sounds earily familiar! We had a 2014 34.2. It was built with only 4 total rails and 2 motors. Started having problems with the slide about 6 months in. As the slide went out, about midway it would tip or drop slightly. Initially dealer said it was normal, since it was such a ginormous slide. Coming in it started to labor and would lurch at the mid point. Eventually the rails started showing signs of wear and I would find metal shavings or floor.

The dealer replaced all the components, rails, motors etc. while the slide was out of the coach, they discovered that there was a roller missing from the floor track on the forward side of the slide. That missing roller was causing the slide to lurch as it moved in and out.

Eventually Thor sent a technician out to the dealer and they removed the slide and added a 3rd rail to help support the slide.

I would have them check that all the rollers are installed and are moving freely.

Please keep us posted!
Old 05-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
The downside of those huge slides, especially the 'full wall slides' is because of their enormous weight, they are prone to track & motor failures.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:01 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
The downside of those huge slides, especially the 'full wall slides' is because of their enormous weight, they are prone to track & motor failures.
Definitely a problem, to Thor's credit they did throw a bunch of parts at it trying to fix it. Unfortunately I think the missing roller over time flexed that big slide to the point where it was bent. Over time, the slide failed again; metal shavings, stalling out etc.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:56 AM   #6

THOR #3584
How are you able to look between the slide and the actual coach?
Old 05-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #7

THOR #3584
WillowRun, thanks for your advice, I just looked between the seals and found a wood screw and electrical cap stuck in the roller under the dinette. In the bedroom area I found a piece of scrap wood, and all the way up front just behind the drivers seat I found a rolled up ball of wrapping. I did as you suggested, vacuuming the entire underneath, the slide now functions properly. Thank you again for your advice, as well as others. This forum is awesome!!!!
Old 05-14-2017, 02:08 PM   #8

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Quote:
WillowRun, thanks for your advice, I just looked between the seals and found a wood screw and electrical cap stuck in the roller under the dinette. In the bedroom area I found a piece of scrap wood, and all the way up front just behind the drivers seat I found a rolled up ball of wrapping. I did as you suggested, vacuuming the entire underneath, the slide now functions properly. Thank you again for your advice, as well as others. This forum is awesome!!!!
Great News.........also since the vacuum does not usually get up under there, I use a stiffer duster (sometimes tape the fly swatter on the end for reach but I know there are adjustable ones out there) and I pull one way with it....does a great job of general crud and does not push things out of reach!!!!

Don't forget to lube the slides only inside of rubber seals as in videos- do NOT put anything on outside tracks that could collect debris, pollen, etc.....they will gunk up quickly.....the joints are reachable by ladder when you do that maintenance!!! happy travels!!!!!! (P.S. check all your A/C ducts and under the sink area too for the same kind of crap floating...take out your kitchen drawers- you will be surprised!!)
Old 05-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #9

THOR #3584
Thank you again!!!!!