Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2016, 01:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Boondocking or dry camping in an AXIS/VEGAS

Just wondering how many AXIS/VEGAS owners boondock or dry camp with their coach.

And how have they enjoyed it. Also, what challenges have you encountered?

Old 08-22-2016, 02:44 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
We boondocked about 1/2 the time during our 30 day Baja, Mexico caravan in February. I had added a portable solar unit, as my wife used a CPAP machine.

Had zero problems!!! Great rig.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:04 AM   #3

Model: 2016 Vegas 24.1 on E450
State: Tennessee
THOR #2361
We stayed a week in Oshkosh this year for the EAA convention/airshow with no problems. We didn't have hookups but it wasn't really boondocking/dry camping as we had a bathhouse and outhouses to use. The stock batteries held up just fine though. My son and I had a great time!
Old 08-22-2016, 03:09 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Dry camp is a first choice here. Sometimes the low clearance makes it challenging to get on/off forest service roads into remote camp sites. A few sets of lynx levelers can help prevent carnage when negotiating the chassis through spots.

Factory dual batteries have provided us 3 days with morning heat without generator use. For heavy all day heater use, we spark up the generator for a few hours during the day to help keep charge levels up (wilderness sounds are preferred over that of a generator). We seldom need a charge and the water supply is plenty for our typical 3-4 day camp outings.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:51 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
We camp in several so called dispersed camp grounds in the Arizona forests. These are sites set aside for camping, but without any services. Actually in most of the National Forests in Arizona you can camp anywhere you like with a few restrictions such as you have to be a certain distance from water sources or existing campgrounds, etc. We usually camp with other family members so we typically have a little compound. We usually stay 3-4 days. Unless we are running the furnace (rarely), electricity and water supply have never been an issue. Needless to say, having a bathroom has been pretty popular with the ladies.

When I retire in a couple of years, I may go for a few weeks at a time in the summer. I would consider getting some solar panels, the limit would be dumping the tanks, so a dump site would be handy.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:16 AM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Just wondering how many AXIS/VEGAS owners boondock or dry camp with their coach.

And how have they enjoyed it. Also, what challenges have you encountered?
We have done a handful of weekends. No real issues other than using battery powered lamps instead a bit more. Only real issue is being frugal with the black and gray water tanks.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
We have dry camped with ours since we picked it up on May 23rd except for two nights.
200 watts of solar bring the house batteries up but they aren't really holding a good charge so a day or two of rain/clouds means run the gen set or crank the engine. Picked up another 300 watts of solar and hope to start installing that this week.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #8

State: Illinois
THOR #3306
It's great for boondocking!

We boondocked in Colorado this summer. We didn't have a problem. I will echo that the lower clearance can pose some challenges, but we didn't really face anything we couldn't drive over. That said, around us was some places I wouldn't want to try and take the Axis LOL!

If you go crazy with the showers and stuff .... you'll need a water source. We had a stream nearby we splashed off in

We setup a 120watt solar panel to replenish battery in the day. Never was there a problem with not enough juice. We didn't run the generator at all.

Here's some pics.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That last pic is awesome!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:02 AM   #10
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Love the photos !!
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunset river bridge 2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	2811
Centennial Bridge,Leavenworth, KS
It is not dry camping but close to it..elec. only.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRodgers View Post
It's great for boondocking!

We boondocked in Colorado this summer. We didn't have a problem. I will echo that the lower clearance can pose some challenges, but we didn't really face anything we couldn't drive over. That said, around us was some places I wouldn't want to try and take the Axis LOL!...
Been lurking this forum for months as I decide if I really want to get a Axis next year. THIS is one of my biggest concerns. Ground clearance for boondocking.
  • What is the ground clearance of the Axis?
  • Is there any (easy) modifications that can be made to increase clearance?
Old 08-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swix
Been lurking this forum for months as I decide if I really want to get a Axis next year. THIS is one of my biggest concerns. Ground clearance for boondocking.
What is the ground clearance of the Axis?
Is there any (easy) modifications that can be made to increase clearance?
Ground clearance is in the range of a foot--not a lot.

Since its based on an E-Series chassis you probably could get a Quigley conversion for it which would greatly increase the height (and cost) but would also give you 4x4 capability! Granted you probably would have a hard time making it under most overpasses and it would be very top-heavy.

The only place we've boondocked is a rest area so the ground clearance hasn't been that much of an issue for us.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #13

State: Illinois
THOR #3306
The only other thing I can think of is adding in air bags and a tank to inflate as desired. you could potentially get a few more inches of height when needed. I will say that there's a high chance you won't need any additional clearance. The wheelbase is pretty short as RV's go. If a car or a modern SUV can get in to the spot, you can. unless there's just not enough length for an RV.

I have put our Axis in some pretty crazy places and it has done very well. it's more stressful for me than the vehicle lol!
Old 08-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #14

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jolly,

WOW, that is one stary-stary sky!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #15

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
We have been out a month and have dry camped about 80% of the time. Spent last night at Black Canyon NP and the next 4 nights we will be at A nearby National Recreation Area all for $8 a night. We take electric if we have to, but usually the non electric sites and campgrounds are better. We have taken our Axis places where we have not seen another Class C, never mind a Class A. Pic is is up the canyon road at Tellurude, Colorado. Beautiful. Last year we spent 4 months traveling back and forth from Florida to Alaska and dry camped most of the time,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	2815  
Old 08-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #16

THOR #2142
Awwww, Telluride.

My uncle owned a corner house on main street. In the 1960's we would go there as kids for the 4th of July and the parade would be right out the front door.
We had a family reunion over the 4th of July in 1990 there, same house and parade view.
Things had changed a bit from what was there in the mid 60's. But still beautiful.
Use to hike up to "Trout Lake" to fish.

Doc

Old 08-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #17

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Awwww, Telluride.

My uncle owned a corner house on main street. In the 1960's we would go there as kids for the 4th of July and the parade would be right out the front door.
We had a family reunion over the 4th of July in 1990 there, same house and parade view.
Things had changed a bit from what was there in the mid 60's. But still beautiful.
Use to hike up to "Trout Lake" to fish.

Doc
You would be a millionaire if he had left it to you.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:48 PM   #18

THOR #2142
Yep and if I would have kept my 62 Chevy Nova and my 69 Mustang I'd have two cool cars in the garage. Hindsight is 20/20.

As kids we would hike up to the mine at far end of town and go over where they dropped of the scrap rocks they had mined. We would rummage around for crystals and look for "Fools Gold" and "Peacock Copper (shinny red and blue metallic rocks)". Then we would break the rocks up so they looked bright and pretty and we set up a corner stand at the house and yell out "Colorado Rocks for Sale" as the tourist drove in. Then it was off to the town store with our earnings and buy stuff!

Great town...we have to go back with our RV once I retire!!!!

Doc

Old 08-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #19
vkb

THOR #3510
4th of July 2017, we have reservations in Ouray. Meeting family there and introducing some to Telluride, and surrounding area.

Name:	1982 Telluride a (2).jpg
Views:	121
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	2816
Telluride summer 1982
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #20
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Yep and if I would have kept my 62 Chevy Nova and my 69 Mustang I'd have two cool cars in the garage. Hindsight is 20/20.

As kids we would hike up to the mine at far end of town and go over where they dropped of the scrap rocks they had mined. We would rummage around for crystals and look for "Fools Gold" and "Peacock Copper (shinny red and blue metallic rocks)". Then we would break the rocks up so they looked bright and pretty and we set up a corner stand at the house and yell out "Colorado Rocks for Sale" as the tourist drove in. Then it was off to the town store with our earnings and buy stuff!

Great town...we have to go back with our RV once I retire!!!!

Doc
Yep... and if Ron had kept his '55 Chevy BelAir 2 door hardtop and we our '67 Mustang FB , our '65, '66 & 2x'87 El Camino (last year mfg) .. and a couple others, we would have have a cool stable !

Regarding rocks of the GREAT Southwest...we would gather them, crush them with a hammer and make painted deserts in a jar ! What FUN !!

Good memories and making them !
Jeep Wrangler TJ