Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Slide Out Bar

OK -- there was this adjustable bar with plastic feet on both ends. It had a button in a hole like you find on a table with height adjustable legs. One end where the plastic foot was is able to screw in and out to fine ajust the length. For the life of me I had no idea what this device was for -- neither did the dealer folks doing my pdi

Today I finally learned it is a slide out bar. When the slide is retracted you wedge this device between the edge of the slide and the coach wall to prevent the slide from extending while driving down the road.

Do any of you use it? Where do you mount it? Is there enough strength in the wall to keep the wall from deforming if the bar is adjusted too tightly?

I'm afraid I'd forget to remove and try to extend the slide and do all manner of damage. I carry ID in my wallet because I might forget my name. So -- use it or loose it? I await the forum members' learned opinion.

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
DNS

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Ohio
THOR #2222
We had a 33' Coachmen Mirada that had 2 slides, prior to getting our Challenger . I was told to install slide locks in the center of the slides and tighten them snug. They each had yellow caution tape tied around 1 end so you could leave it hang down over the slide to remind you to remove them prior to extending the slide. We had it for 8 years and was always afraid I would forget to remove them sometime, but the caution tape helped, never forgot.

We have 3 slides on the Challenger, but it only had 2 slide locks. The dealer told us that he didn't know of anyone that used them with the Schwintek slide drives that Thor uses.

I'm curious to see if others use them.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
My coach didn't come with them.

Even before I read of folks having them from the factory, I searched online to see if there was some aftermarket source, and struck out.

Much later, I came across posts very similar to this one....

So NO, I don't use them, but wish that I had them as just a little reassurance for teh safety of my family.
For what it's worth, my slide is a SCHWINTEK

Perhaps it's another type of slide, such as hydraulic that really needs them...???
Old 09-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SK
THOR #2366
Slide lock bars are used on hydraulic powered slides. It is a safety in case a line breaks or you lose pressure at the pump. Electric slides do not require a slide bar lock because when you cut power to the motor, it acts as a lock. Our former diesel pusher had 3 hydraulic slides, each with a set of locks, and one electric slide with no locks.

The new Schwintek slides are electric and do not require locks. The only time you would wedge something between the slide and the wall is if you do an emergency retract and pull the motor.

Fred
Old 09-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
When I went through the PDI the service guy told me to forget about them. So I have.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
During my PDI they said it was just for emergencies. It has since ridden in one of the outside storage units and hasn't been touched.

From the looks of it I would put it on the top of the slide (just rest it there and tighten to snug) if I were ever to use it. Like you, I would probably also forget that it was there and damage something ! LOL

We did have a situation where that would come in handy, though: When returning from our last trip the bottom drawer under the stove's latch broke and the drawer refused to remain closed. Had I remembered about the slide lock I could have used that to hold it closed (instead we used the grill tongs and slipped them through both drawer handles). Fortunately CampingWorld sells the same latch.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The purpose of the slide lacking bars is, as Jamie stated, for emergencies. They are specifically for times when a slide motor fails and there is the chance that the brake within the motor will not engage causing a condition where the slide could extend while driving. I have had these bars on my Forest River and now the Thor. I will say at least Thor's are actual slide bars. Forest River gave me three pieces of closet rod cut to length with plastic end caps.

I have not done this with the Challenger, however, on the FR I cut some red cargo straps to about 4 foot in length and attached a length to each slide bar. By draping the strap over the top of the slide I knew it was present before extending the slide. That served me well; until I decided to quit using the bars.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:51 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
I too during the PDI was told it was used ONLY if the motors were removed. I keep it next to my tool box in the lower storage compartments.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #9

THOR #2601
Thanks guys -- perhaps I'll use it for a really heavy duty towel bar under the hanging bathroom cabinet -- or a really tiny mono-seat for my (whoo - too much info).
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 09-22-2015, 11:17 PM   #10

THOR #2601
Thanks all -- maybe I'll use it for a really heavy duty towel bar under the bathroom hanging cabinet.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 08-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #11

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Smile

I use mine in the big storage unit to keep the fold up chairs from sliding around works great
Old 08-24-2016, 10:34 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #4486
My Challenger has three slides but only came with one slide out bar and it does not fit, too long even when completely collapsed. I was told that with Schwintek slide mechanism you do not need the bars.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:48 PM   #13
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
OK -- there was this adjustable bar with plastic feet on both ends. It had a button in a hole like you find on a table with height adjustable legs. One end where the plastic foot was is able to screw in and out to fine ajust the length. For the life of me I had no idea what this device was for -- neither did the dealer folks doing my pdi

Today I finally learned it is a slide out bar. When the slide is retracted you wedge this device between the edge of the slide and the coach wall to prevent the slide from extending while driving down the road.

Do any of you use it? Where do you mount it? Is there enough strength in the wall to keep the wall from deforming if the bar is adjusted too tightly?

I'm afraid I'd forget to remove and try to extend the slide and do all manner of damage. I carry ID in my wallet because I might forget my name. So -- use it or loose it? I await the forum members' learned opinion.
Ed !!! ** I just realized your thread on this is a year old .. still funny subject **

HA !! Well...we were told what it was on the PDI ... Sooooooo, Ron used it
ONCE !!! Ya, he forgot to take it out...he stopped the extend of slide before it did any damage...that was the first and last time we used it !!
That item is kinda like forgetting to retract your old style antenna before departing campsite...you only do that once !!
Now, in retrospect, we would put a big hanging flag on that device and a sticker over the extend button...if we were to use it.
We have had 2 other rv's with slides and this is the only one with that thing!!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:04 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
Check first - uiseless

Used it all the time in an old C with hydraulics. During PDI I asked about it and he told me most do not need them anymore but there to make the customer feel safe. Nothing about emergencies lie a removed electric motor.

So I decided to use it as I was used to it - mistake.

As soon as I put it in and started to tighten it, the wood face plate started to come loose. The Hurricane (35C at least) has no metal corner piece and the wood face of the slide out is very lightweight press board with a few small nails holding it in. Looked along the edge up and down, not one piece of something that reinforced it to hold pressure is on it. Check the rear slide and same.

Bottom line, not needed for working electric slides, but also CANNOT be used on some of the newer models as the did not install reinforcement for it.