Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Slide weight

It’s not often we see two otherwise identical motorhomes with and without slides in order to compare weights. This leads to guessing and speculation.

Since subject of insufficient cargo carrying capacity (CCC) comes up occasionally for smaller motorhomes built on chassis with low gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), I thought I’d share information I saw this morning in case it’s useful to anyone.

Added weight due to a fairly small slide in a Class C is in range of 524 pounds.

As percent of total motorhome weight it’s not much, but as percent of cargo carrying capacity it may make a difference to some. Obviously if there are two slides or one large one, the impact on CCC is even greater.

I’m only posting this to make others aware that it’s easy for manufacturers to offer more space, but buyers should follow up on weight data prior to final decision.

P.S. — I’m in no way criticizing slides, just sharing fact-based data that some may find interesting and or useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FDD97CE8-F4E1-4C81-850D-8CD9D79E744B.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	23857   Click image for larger version

Name:	FE347372-A287-469B-A561-BF0AF57B0886.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	23858  

Old 05-22-2020, 12:36 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Question: Is that the weight of the slide and whatever is sitting in it; or just the slide and the mechanism necessary to make it move?
Old 05-22-2020, 12:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Question: Is that the weight of the slide and whatever is sitting in it; or just the slide and the mechanism necessary to make it move?
Dinette sizes are different so you don’t know. Is there any additional weight for the larger dinette?
Old 05-22-2020, 01:42 AM   #4

THOR #2121
Most manufacturers don’t list their Unloaded Vehicle Weight, so it was great they did in this case.

Without slide = 10,100 pounds

With slide = 10,624 pounds

All other specs are the same down to chassis, dimensions, holding tanks, etc.

The motorhome without slide has a slightly longer dinette and wardrobe because they had to fill the space of the slide walls, usually about 6 inches or so per end. That weight difference should only be a few pounds.

The point is that slides or extra slides can add significant weight on motorhomes in 10,360, 11,000, or even 12,500 pound GVWR chassis. In this particular comparison the CCC is actually excellent for both.

Because both motorhomes are otherwise identical, I’d bet all 524 extra pounds are on driver side, which “may” adversely affect loading on that side in other ways.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But they also add significant living space...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #6

THOR #2121
Here are two Sprinter floorplan examples (from other brand) that in my opinion need to be placed on a diet, or else need a chassis upgrade to increase the dismal Cargo Carrying Capacity.

I don’t blame slide weight for all excessive heft, as I’d guess that design is driven by features buyers want at a given price, and that practical functionality takes a back seat. Unfortunately, high-end features commonly associated with Sprinter motorhomes can weigh more.

Just saying that because buyers pay more to get more, it doesn’t mean they’ll also get more cargo capabilities — 1,079 or 1,082 pounds CCC isn’t much at all for that size and price motorhome. Low CCC should be a deal breaker on any RV.

Extra space as well as other features are indeed great, but what good are they if you can’t use them unless overloaded?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0AEE7E50-B99F-4054-8118-5FC188E72F43.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	23861  
Old 05-22-2020, 01:48 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
So in the Sprinter example the difference is only 3lbs? Hardly anything to worry about (er slide vs no slide weght that is--as far as the ccc yeah it needs to go on a diet).

Ah but the Sunseeker 2400B & 2400Q: They both have slides, just one is bigger than the other:
2400B:

2400Q:

So they both have the mechanism.

Oh and one has the kitchen on one side vs the other which has the kitchen on the other side. Make it even more interesting that they are only 3lbs different.

Also note that the 2400W has a very similar floorplan (looks like it is now discontinued, however).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Advertised weights have a habit of being "massaged" by the marketing department anyway...
Old 05-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
How many people do you believe actually look at cargo capacity in terms of weight when they buy? My guess would be folks look at the size of storage compartments and not the weight limitations. Heck, I can't tell you how much my Weber Q weights but I can tell you it fits nicely in storage bin 3 on the passenger's side.

A lot of folks don't pay attention to the towing capacity of a motorhome either. They just hook up their large SUV to a motorhome with a towing capacity of under 4K. To a lot of folks hitch capacity = towing capacity which is wrong, wrong and wrong. The Thor Palazzo, Forest River Legacy and Winnebago Forza are prime examples of this in the DP realm.

It's a fact of life that many folks don't sweat the "small stuff". I would wager 50 percent of RV buyers don't even look at the yellow sticker before making an offer.

Also, in a motorhome that small (25 foot or less) most folks are not going to carry a lot of stuff because of the clutter it will generate inside the coach. Unless the driver and passenger are 300 pounds each traveling with a 100 pound dog 1000 pounds of capacity can be quite a bit if one is selective in what they pack.

Also, I notice on the specs you attached it is listed as CCC and not OCCC so that would require some clarification.

Just my thoughts.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
BINGO!!
Old 05-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
So in the Sprinter example the difference is only 3lbs? Hardly anything to worry about (er slide vs no slide weght that is--as far as the ccc yeah it needs to go on a diet).

Ah but the Sunseeker 2400B & 2400Q: They both have slides, just one is bigger than the other:
2400B:

2400Q:

So they both have the mechanism.

Oh and one has the kitchen on one side vs the other which has the kitchen on the other side. Make it even more interesting that they are only 3lbs different.

Also note that the 2400W has a very similar floorplan (looks like it is now discontinued, however).

Yes, they are both similar in overall size and with similar weight even though one has larger slide, which is why I used as an example to show that it’s not only slides that cause CCC limitations. I’m trying to remain objective while hoping to discuss issue of insufficient CCC brought up by others in a different thread. Concern is not limited to Thor.

Sprinter motorhomes appear some of the worst in this area. Maybe it’s low GVWR (11,030 pounds) along with high buyer expectations. Brands like Tiffin Wayfarer have received negative feedback related to weight.

I agree with Dave’s point that you can make +/- 1,080 pounds work if it’s a couple and pack light, but then what’s the point of extra seats, beds, and all that storage space sending buyers the message that the motorhome can easily accommodate four people.

For what it’s worth, a smaller Sunseeker motorhome built on a Transit chassis with GVWR of only 10,360 pounds has a listed CCC of 2,215 pounds. There seems to be little consistency in Cargo Carrying Capacity manufacturers provide, as if it’s an afterthought, or at least a low design priority.

Perhaps Bob will share actual data on his rig.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3D54448B-0EAD-416D-868D-5C70CCEF3521.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	23863  
Old 05-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I don't have the numbers readily available...
But it's nowhere near 1,000 pounds, and I really couldn't care less about it!
(The magazines always complained about the Wayfarer's low C.C.C.)
Yes: it's just the two of us, and we always pack light...
Old 05-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I don't have the numbers readily available...
But it's nowhere near 1,000 pounds, and I really couldn't care less about it!
(The magazines always complained about the Wayfarer's low C.C.C.)
Yes: it's just the two of us, and we always pack light...

Much less than 1,000 pounds then?

At RV show my wife said a Wayfarer was built like a tank. I replied it probably weighed as much as one too. I was right.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Define that...

I'll try to get in the RV over the weekend, and see what the number is.
But I'm on crutches, and don't relish the idea of what the effort will entail.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:50 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

I agree with Dave’s point that you can make +/- 1,080 pounds work if it’s a couple and pack light, but then what’s the point of extra seats, beds, and all that storage space sending buyers the message that the motorhome can easily accommodate four people.

Just because the manufacturer says a motorhome can sleep 4 doesn't mean you can travel with 4. 2 folks can follow in the car that is too heavy to tow.

My coach says it can sleep 10 but there is a problem with that. On couch was removed and theater seating was put in so that eliminated sleeping for 2. I still have seat belts for 10 but sleeping for only 8.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Unless they double-bunk in creative ways...
Old 05-22-2020, 05:13 PM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
.....cut.....

Also, in a motorhome that small (25 foot or less) most folks are not going to carry a lot of stuff because of the clutter it will generate inside the coach. Unless the driver and passenger are 300 pounds each traveling with a 100 pound dog 1000 pounds of capacity can be quite a bit if one is selective in what they pack.

......cut.....

I can relate since we are in that group, interested only in small motorhomes under 25 feet, mostly travel light, and weigh under 300 pounds combined.

I’ll add that prospective buyers who have read this forum for a while should recall that it’s not that unusual for owners to make upgrades that add weight so should plan accordingly. Granted, most upgrades don’t add that much weight individually, but multiple upgrades combined can.

A couple of extra batteries, solar panels, a spare tire, a second air conditioner, leveling jacks or stabilizers, etc. can add up fast if starting with only +/- 1,000 pounds cargo carrying capacity.

Heavy cargo items like tools, air compressor, portable generator, hitch cargo tray, bicycles, cases of water, canopies, etc. are some of the items we carry often. While optional, they weigh more than our food, clothing, and personal items.

I completely agree that too many buyers don’t look at CCC before making an offer. And even if they did, new RVers probably don’t know how much they need.