Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Smart Mouse

First ever mouse in one of our RV's. Probably never had any because we generally traveled all the time except when parked for the winter months in Florida.

Little critter was making a visit to our bread drawer and feasting on crackers and whatever else was wrapped in soft plastic. Set mouse trap with every mouse's favorite food. Somehow he tripped the trap and ate the cheese!

We moved to another CG the next day so for about 20 miles the coach was moving with gen set on. It must have been too much for him because for the past week no evidence of him still on board.

So I guess the next time we find one has set up residence in our MH we will just unhook and take a drive for 20 or 30 miles instead of setting traps and such.

US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
You need to be careful of mice, especially in Florida. One built a nest in my friends RV while it was in storage in the Keys and the family feasted on all the engine wiring. When he tried to start it, he blew up his engine computer. It cost him thousands of dollars to get it fixed and the insurance would pay zero. I put rat poison and Irish Spring soap (the supposedly do not like the smell) around mine if I am going to leave it for any amount of time.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #3

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
You need to be careful of mice, especially in Florida. One built a nest in my friends RV while it was in storage in the Keys and the family feasted on all the engine wiring. When he tried to start it, he blew up his engine computer. It cost him thousands of dollars to get it fixed and the insurance would pay zero. I put rat poison and Irish Spring soap (the supposedly do not like the smell) around mine if I am going to leave it for any amount of time.
We have only been Florida residents for a couple years and I was hoping they didn't have mice. There goes that thought. We keep a bag of moth balls just inside the garage doors and under the back shed. It keeps snakes out of my yard. I am wondering if a few bags of moth balls in my basement storage compartments while parked in Florida will keep mice out?
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Mixed reviews on mothballs and your engine compartment is the worst place they can nest. We have a nice stray cat that our neighbor feeds which lives under/around our RV. Best preventative for mice and rats. Rats love coconut trees and we have three in our yard and dozens nearby. We used to have a rat problem, but the cat seems to have solved it.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:51 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I had mice many years ago. I crawled around under the MH and used spray foam to seal all the holes I could find. Still had mice. I made a metal cap to close the space around the power cord entrance into the MH.

Haven't seen any sign of mice in the MH for several years.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I don't know about rats/nice, but the moth balls will definitely keep me out.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote