Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2017, 01:04 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
5yrs in Alaska. The best setup for year round, half snow half clear was the Blizzak ice and snow tires. That was on 4dr Jeeps. Just bought a 2017 Vegas. If they make a tire for that weight load I will go that direction.
Sorry but in states with chain controls in effect you can have snow tires on a 4x4 or AWD under R2 conditions. Under R3 everyone must chain up including 4x4 and AWD. You also must carry chains at all times that fit you vehicle on roads covered by chain controls. So if you are coming up to run in the snow with your 37 x 12.5 Jeeprubicon you better have chains that fit. The CHP will turn you around if not or worse.

75 years in upper Midwest, Traverse City and mountain snow, 4 years of Arctic snow.

Flatlanders!

Old 09-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #22

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Sorry but in states with chain controls in effect you can have snow tires on a 4x4 or AWD under R2 conditions. Under R3 everyone must chain up including 4x4 and AWD. You also must carry chains at all times that fit you vehicle on roads covered by chain controls. So if you are coming up to run in the snow with your 37 x 12.5 Jeeprubicon you better have chains that fit. The CHP will turn you around if not or worse.

75 years in upper Midwest, Traverse City and mountain snow, 4 years of Arctic snow.

Flatlanders!
When I was a young military man ending my stint I was stationed at White Sands Missile Range (WSMR) in New Mexico for my last year. The mountain pass between our post and Las Cruces (St. Augustine Pass) could sometimes have a blizzard but we were in the 50's down in the valley. When the civilian wreckers got buried they called on us with our 10-ton tactical wreckers to work the pass getting semi trucks and others safely down and out of ditches.

What I remember about those times was how dangerous it was for everyone involved. I didn't want to be up there where I couldn't see 20 feet in front of my wrecker and I didn't understand why the civilian population thought they needed to drive through there under those conditions. I've traveled several times out west, including California. I have seen all the signs about chains and observed all the pull off areas marked as "chain up" lanes. I can tell you will 100% conviction that I will never own a set of chains for my RV because under no circumstances will I ever be in an area that I will need them.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #23

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Grew up in the mountains. Shoveled snow, threw out salt, put on chains. Left after high school. Proud to be a flatlander. Playing in snow is great fun; working in it is miserable.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote