Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2016, 11:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: Alabama
THOR #1772
Need help

Need help. I own a 2014 miramar class A. I'm having trouble with the wipes not working when I'm traveling about 65mph. Also the rv sways a lot when I got around corners and on uneven roads. Was thinking about a stabilizer. Will that work?

Old 09-07-2016, 12:07 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampi28 View Post
Need help. I own a 2014 miramar class A. I'm having trouble with the wipes not working when I'm traveling about 65mph. Also the rv sways a lot when I got around corners and on uneven roads. Was thinking about a stabilizer. Will that work?
Not an expert by any means, bit I would suggest you speak with others on this forum and search "CHF', which stands for cheap handling fix. I'm tapping this in as we are traveling on our maiden voyage cross-country and through to Grand Canyons North rim, and beyond. DEFINITELY WILL be looking into that CHF when we get back to Illinois as handling is lacking on our Vegas25.3. Good luck with the wipers...
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:50 AM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Not an expert by any means, bit I would suggest you speak with others on this forum and search "CHF', which stands for cheap handling fix. I'm tapping this in as we are traveling on our maiden voyage cross-country and through to Grand Canyons North rim, and beyond. DEFINITELY WILL be looking into that CHF when we get back to Illinois as handling is lacking on our Vegas25.3. Good luck with the wipers...
Enjoy the North Rim ! We love that area ! Some great hiking.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:01 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Not sure the CHF is available for the E450 chassis. I think it is only on the Ford F53. Someone correct me if I am wrong
Old 09-07-2016, 06:14 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
CHF is only for F53 chassis, you move the sway bar links to the inside hole.
Beyond that, a trac bar for the rear helps greatly, and not sure that is an option for the Vegas chassis either..

Quote:
Old 09-07-2016, 06:26 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Your rig can be fixed to handle better. I have done the following to mine:
1. move the sway bar links to the inside holes, front and rear, on the front I bought Helwig adjustable links and extended them so the sway bar remained parallel to the road. It is not required, but in my case when my front wheels went off the ground on level situations the sway bar rubbed the spring. Probably not dangerous, but I did not like it.
2. I had a Blue ox rear trac bar installed.
3. Because doing the previous the ride was a bit stiffer, and bumps in the road more pronounced. I installed Sumo springs in the front. The ones I bought come to find out they were not for Thor product but I was able to modify by simply using a 1/2 in piece of hardwood 4" x 6" and secured to the top of the spring plate by straps and gorilla tape. Took the stiff bumps out of the ride.
Now I drive, trucks don't bother me, I do not feel wind, yet every now and then hit with a burst but does not blow me off the road. I drive open desert roads in NV, AZ and CA so this mod has made it possible to keep it on the pavement.. now I can sit back and relax and enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampi28 View Post
Old 09-09-2016, 02:16 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Talking Serious enjoyment

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Enjoy the North Rim ! We love that area ! Some great hiking.
OMG, first time out here and finding it incredible! Waited way too long in life, but now that we can travel like a 'turtle' with our house on our back, we are driven to discover.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Louisiana
THOR #1977
I did the same thing as petef with the CHF and putting the Hellwig links on the front. Also did the Blue Ox rear trac bar. Did not do the Sumo springs, but may in the future. The above changes helped with sway from wind and 18 wheelers.

Rippa