Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria
State: New Jersey
THOR #17864
First trip in new RV...everything went well with only one exception

I am a second time Thor owner (first was a Class C Four Winds) and had a very good experience with it. We bought our first Class A , a Miramar 35.2, about 2 months ago and finally got her on the road for a 10 hour trip and a few nights in a campground.

There's a lot of good, bad and ugly that gets reported here but I am very happy to say that this model had only one problem. All other systems worked as advertised. Slides, tankless, lights, heat, plumbing, electrical all worked with no problems. Have not tried AC yet. I am sure with future wear and tear I will see problems but coming right out of the factory its been a very good experience.

BUT, driving the last 2 hours in the rain made me turn on the wipers and then need the defroster. No defrost. I lifted the engine door and hanging there were 2 vent hoses that were not attached to their ducts. Quick fix.

Amazing how they got all of the big stiff right but they missed this.

Anyway, I am still a Thor fan.

Blue Ox Tow Kit
Newf026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #2

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Glad to hear your first trip went well. Our first trip was good also. Overall I'm satisfied with Thor so far.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Congrats on the new coach!

I am also a second time Thor owner. My first RV ever was a 2018 Outlaw 29H Class C. It had it's fair share of issues out of the gate..... roof leak.... vacuum breaker issue that would flood the coach if you tried to flush the black tank.... failed pressure sensor for the levelers. I also put $1500 into Hellwig sway bars, Sumo Springs and a Roadmaster steering stabilizer because the handling and ride quality were so bad it was a white knuckle experience.

However.... I found Thor's customer service to be excellent in dealing with the issues and after learning this my experience was pretty average for a new RV owners across most manufacturers, I took it all in stride.

Based on my experience with Thor's customer service, we purchased a 2020 Magnitude SV34 Super C back in October and the experience has been pretty good. The quality, fit and finish were better. The F-550 chassis is unbelievable and makes the E-450 seem like a toy. We still had some issues right out of the gate. Some were head scratchers like yours and you wondered how they could miss some things.

Some things I fixed... some were handled by the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa... and I have a few more that my dealer is scheduled to address.

We are in our first extended trip with the Magnitude as we decided to self-isolate in warmer weather. We are in day 11 and even though there are still a couple issues to address, we could not be happier.

One positive thing coming out of the COVID-19 mess is that we are getting a good dry run for retirement next year..... as long as we can get the country turned back around by this summer. We are also making sure we uncover any other warranty issues that we may find on this trip so we can get them knocked out.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Congrats on the new coach!

I am also a second time Thor owner. My first RV ever was a 2018 Outlaw 29H Class C. It had it's fair share of issues out of the gate..... roof leak.... vacuum breaker issue that would flood the coach if you tried to flush the black tank.... failed pressure sensor for the levelers. I also put $1500 into Hellwig sway bars, Sumo Springs and a Roadmaster steering stabilizer because the handling and ride quality were so bad it was a white knuckle experience.

However.... I found Thor's customer service to be excellent in dealing with the issues and after learning this my experience was pretty average for a new RV owners across most manufacturers, I took it all in stride.

Based on my experience with Thor's customer service, we purchased a 2020 Magnitude SV34 Super C back in October and the experience has been pretty good. The quality, fit and finish were better. The F-550 chassis is unbelievable and makes the E-450 seem like a toy. We still had some issues right out of the gate. Some were head scratchers like yours and you wondered how they could miss some things.

Some things I fixed... some were handled by the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa... and I have a few more that my dealer is scheduled to address.

We are in our first extended trip with the Magnitude as we decided to self-isolate in warmer weather. We are in day 11 and even though there are still a couple issues to address, we could not be happier.

One positive thing coming out of the COVID-19 mess is that we are getting a good dry run for retirement next year..... as long as we can get the country turned back around by this summer. We are also making sure we uncover any other warranty issues that we may find on this trip so we can get them knocked out.

Curious how you fixed your tank flush problem on your old coach. Mine floods terribly. I’m actually considering abandoning the vacuum breaker/air gap device entirely and just plumbing directly to the tank and it’s back flow valve. I understand the reason for it is to protect the public water system from possible back flow contamination but it’s only ever connected for short periods of time while I’m actually using it. And I also have noticed that aftermarket flush systems don’t come with one. On my coach the device is under the bathroom sink and it takes quite a bit of plumbing to get all the way up there and then back to the side of the tank. Glad you found a nice place to wait out the storm.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
First trip in new RV...everything went well with only one exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Curious how you fixed your tank flush problem on your old coach. Mine floods terribly. I’m actually considering abandoning the vacuum breaker/air gap device entirely and just plumbing directly to the tank and it’s back flow valve. I understand the reason for it is to protect the public water system from possible back flow contamination but it’s only ever connected for short periods of time while I’m actually using it. And I also have noticed that aftermarket flush systems don’t come with one. On my coach the device is under the bathroom sink and it takes quite a bit of plumbing to get all the way up there and then back to the side of the tank. Glad you found a nice place to wait out the storm.

I got mine fixed under warranty. This was a fairly common problem with Thor for a few years it turns out. In many cases it was a defective vacuum breaker that prevents the black tank from back- flushing into the water line. They also had cases where the vacuum breaker was plumbed backwards.

I would contact Thor even if you are out fo warranty to see if they would do anything. I have read about it in multiple posts so it seems like a widespread problem.

My current coach is working fine. Challenge is they typically plumb it behind the shower faucet. They actually cut a hole in the wall to replace it on my 29H and then created a removable access panel if I ever had to get to it again.

I put a back-flow valve on the y-adapter I have on my regulator anyway. You could permanently remove yours if you can get to it and then put a back-flow valve at the water supply to prevent a back-flow condition.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Congratulations on the maiden voyage. Glad everything worked well (or most of it).

It's nice to hear some positive posts now and then.

Stay safe & happy travels.