Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2021, 12:23 PM   #1
EV2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tiburon
State: Arizona
THOR #1264
Solar Mix

New Tiburon has 100 watt solar on roof from factory. Works well for maintaining house batteries while parked. I have two 100 watt panels from prior RV that were used as portable with a solar controller connected at house batteries for Boondocking. Anyone have experience with a separate panel/controller added to same batteries that have the roof panel permanent setup? Wondering if the supplemental will work with the factory panel to combine or interfere with each other.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:31 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I also have the factory installed 100 watt panel on my 2021 Axis. The controller is rated for 10 amps and is a PWM type, so hooking up another 200 watts of panels will definitely overload it.

But you can easily add another controller, either PWM or MPPT type to work with your additional 200 watts of panels. If you get a PWM type, you have to wire the two new panels in parallel, but with MPPT panels, they can be wired in series to reduce voltage drop. Also, MPPT controllers are about 15% more efficient.

The two controllers will coexist together just fine.

Another approach is to replace the existing PWM controller with 30 amp MPPT one and wire all three panels in series using the exsting 10 gauge wire up top. But I hesitate to recommend that approach because the voltage, given that the panels are in series, would get above 60V.

A better approach would be to get another 100 watt panel (brand doesn't matter- they are about $75-80 on Amazon) and wire the four in series/parallel, again using the existing 10 gauge wire. That keeps the voltage down to about 40V. That would be my overall recommendation.

David
Old 12-20-2021, 03:10 PM   #3

Model: Omni XG32
THOR #24995
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2 View Post
New Tiburon has 100 watt solar on roof from factory. Works well for maintaining house batteries while parked. I have two 100 watt panels from prior RV that were used as portable with a solar controller connected at house batteries for Boondocking. Anyone have experience with a separate panel/controller added to same batteries that have the roof panel permanent setup? Wondering if the supplemental will work with the factory panel to combine or interfere with each other.
Easily done. I have 2 rooftop 100W panels running through the factory installed 10amp GoPower controller. I also wired in a connection ground level to be used with my Renogy 100w solar suitcase so I can chase the sun. The only conflict while using multiple controllers might be as the batteries approach full. Its possible a controller reads the batteries at 100% prematurely due to the input from the 2nd controller. Its not really a problem, just might shut down part of the solar array a bit early
Old 12-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I have 2-100 watt Rich Solar panels on the roof. Replaced the Go-Power 10amp PWM controller with a 40amp Rich Solar MPPT controller simply to allow for future expansion.

I would recommend upgrading your controller and running all panels through it. If you want to keep your old panels portable, it shouldn't be too difficult to install an external port. Just run the wiring from the port to the new upgraded charge controller. Be certain to install fuses where appropriate to protect from panel failure/shorts which could overload the controller.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #5
EV2

Model: Tiburon
THOR #1264
Thanks for the great feedback,