Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #1

State: Alaska
THOR #7410
Sold damaged rv as new

Can anyone please help. Bought “new” 2017 Thor challenger 37lx last May. Been having problems with leaks, generator, jacks, springs, etc. Finally worn down by CW/Thor refusal to fix anything we went to an independent rv dealer to pay for warranty work. Informed all issues result from rv being involved in impact on upper passenger side and not being repaired properly. Seals broken, gaping hole in drivers side roof, roof is caving in, etc. Thor’s response “sounds like mom & pop store” that doesn’t know much. Take it back to CW who has worked on it on 4 different occasions and did not acknowledge a problem existed. Thor customer rep actually told us “rv’s are not made for full time use” and this is why we are having problems. They gave us an appointment for 4/16 and called back to change to 5/14 (after the warranty expires) with no options. Already paid for seasonal in MA starting 5/1. Not sure what to do now. Hoping for a resolution short of litigation but don’t know where to start or if I should just hand off to an attorney now. Any help/advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:28 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Very sorry to hear. Not all RVs are designed for full time that is true, Thor being one brand. Unfortunately, the problems you are having are so common with Camping World and I see and hear about them all the time with CW. Thor customer service has been great and as long as you have identified all the problems prior to your warranty being out, Thor will fix them when you are there for your factory service appointment out of warranty. My recommendation is give Thor factory a chance to fix everything as most litigation does not go anywhere and just ends up being expensive anyway without anyone benefiting.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:28 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It sounds as if your State's Attorney General should be informed of this!

This smells like a bunch of broken laws...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:38 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Definitely follow Bob's advice and contact your state's AG or whichever agency deals with consumer affairs. I'm not a lawyer but sounds to me like you've got a good case against the dealership if unit was sold to you as new and had previous damage which they did not disclose.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:44 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Question: Could it have been damaged during transport to the dealership?
I don't think that they truck them: I'm sure that they drive them...

Not that it matters: the damage should have been disclosed!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:48 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcjaw2 View Post
Can anyone please help. Bought “new” 2017 Thor challenger 37lx last May. Been having problems with leaks, generator, jacks, springs, etc. Finally worn down by CW/Thor refusal to fix anything we went to an independent rv dealer to pay for warranty work. Informed all issues result from rv being involved in impact on upper passenger side and not being repaired properly. Seals broken, gaping hole in drivers side roof, roof is caving in, etc. Thor’s response “sounds like mom & pop store” that doesn’t know much. Take it back to CW who has worked on it on 4 different occasions and did not acknowledge a problem existed. Thor customer rep actually told us “rv’s are not made for full time use” and this is why we are having problems. They gave us an appointment for 4/16 and called back to change to 5/14 (after the warranty expires) with no options. Already paid for seasonal in MA starting 5/1. Not sure what to do now. Hoping for a resolution short of litigation but don’t know where to start or if I should just hand off to an attorney now. Any help/advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Was the vehicle in an accident before you purchased it,or did you get in the accident?If it was done before you purchased it then it should not have been sold as new and you do have legal remedies.It won’t be easy or fun but if that was the case I would contact an attorney ASAP!
Old 02-27-2018, 11:50 PM   #7

THOR #7410
It was in an accident before we purchased it and no one disclosed it. It was sold to us as “new”.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:51 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
Quote:
It was in an accident before we purchased it and no one disclosed it. It was sold to us as “new”.

Attorney time!
Old 02-28-2018, 12:11 AM   #9

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Agree, If you have solid (good in court) proof it was in an accident prior to purchase and not disclosed at the time of purchase I'd be contacting your state AG ASAP!

Good Luck!
Old 02-28-2018, 12:40 AM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
it's very doubtful that this, or any other rv, could have been 'in an accident' and sold as new... very doubtful. These things, yes, are driven from Indiana to the dealer, by a separate and non-related company to Thor. The dealer goes over it with a fine toothed comb, as it will be 'their' problem if any problem exists that they did not note of the bill of lading.
I agree with Thor that it sounds like any dealer can look at things at 'make accusations' about what they 'think' happened, but that is just bunk. Let Thor handle the warranty issues, take the scheduled warranty time, as you will still be under warranty since 'they' decided when they had room to do your repairs... and tell them anything and everything that you think is a 'problem'... and don't leave until you are satisfied.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:01 AM   #11

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
Check for accident reports along the probable route they would have driven to deliver it. Am accident with damage of that magnitude "should" have been reported. Does Car Fox follow RV's?
Old 02-28-2018, 01:04 AM   #12

Model: Four winds
State: Florida
THOR #7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
it's very doubtful that this, or any other rv, could have been 'in an accident' and sold as new... very doubtful. These things, yes, are driven from Indiana to the dealer, by a separate and non-related company to Thor. The dealer goes over it with a fine toothed comb, as it will be 'their' problem if any problem exists that they did not note of the bill of lading.
I agree with Thor that it sounds like any dealer can look at things at 'make accusations' about what they 'think' happened, but that is just bunk. Let Thor handle the warranty issues, take the scheduled warranty time, as you will still be under warranty since 'they' decided when they had room to do your repairs... and tell them anything and everything that you think is a 'problem'... and don't leave until you are satisfied.

I wound not buy a thor product they have poor Quality control this will be my last one from them, leaks on upper cabin on the seems called them and they have no compassion towards there customers

Interior cabinets nails popping out panels not connected to attach correctly

Wiring not installed correctly

Once you purchase a product at that price you would think you will get your money’s worth.

Sorry to here that you purchase a damaged RV

Maybe comment like these will assist in someone thinking twice before buying a RV from Thor
Old 02-28-2018, 01:21 AM   #13

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Holy cow!! If you bought it as "new" and it was in a prior accident or damaged and they did not disclose it to you, sounds like you have a more than legitimate issue to make them buy it back for what you paid for it at the least not to mention having them somehow find or pay for your grief. As far as working with Thor itself, my experience has been good on one issue they lit a fire under the C.W. dealership to take care of and were very helpful and courteous. I sure don't blame you one bit for being upset. We pay a lot of money for something new and get screwed is not a very good feeling.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:42 AM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
You might try trading it in where you bought it. Unless they admit it was damaged they’ll have to give you a fair trade. Sure you’ll take a big hit of $20,000 or more but you’ll be losing a TON of aggravation and expense and get your summer travel back. Not a very good option, I know, but I’d be looking for the exit on this one and if you can swing it there are things more important than money. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:08 AM   #15

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
You might try trading it in where you bought it. Unless they admit it was damaged they’ll have to give you a fair trade. Sure you’ll take a big hit of $20,000 or more but you’ll be losing a TON of aggravation and expense and get your summer travel back. Not a very good option, I know, but I’d be looking for the exit on this one and if you can swing it there are things more important than money. Good luck.
I'm a fighter and demand satisfaction (seldom get it ) but I think pete's MH is right unfortunately. If it had been in an accident serious enough to cause problems top to bottom you can kiss the next several months, if not the entire year goodbye. Time to wash your hand of it and use a magnifying glass on the next PDI. Good Luck
Old 02-28-2018, 04:03 AM   #16

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Apparently some dealers combs are much more coarse than others "fine tooth combs". Some dealers won't even run their fingers through it let alone comb it.
Did someone say Camping World??
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:19 AM   #17

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Just curious, where in MA are you traveling for the season?
Old 02-28-2018, 04:58 AM   #18

THOR #7410
Quote:

If you think it’s doubtful, how would one explain the below standard repair job done to cover up the damage. The gaping hole and spray over were the first two things that were noticeable...
Old 02-28-2018, 04:59 AM   #19

THOR #7410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
Just curious, where in MA are you traveling for the season?

Foxboro.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:39 AM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Foxboro.
Normandy Farms? Great campground!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote