Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2017, 10:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Solved that miserable 22e corner berth today

Finally solved the miserable corner berth in the Four Winds 22e. Slid the 22e out from under the berth and put a 2017 29fe in it's place. Pick it up tomorrow.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:49 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations. That is an expensive way to fix a problem though LOL!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:25 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I agree with Jamie, an expensive, but effective way to fix a problem!

Congratulations on your new coach!!!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:30 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
THOR #1907
I was really looking forward to hearing about the fix for the dreaded corner bed. I'm thinking​, this could be really cool.
Good luck with the "fix". LOL!!!
Seriously, enjoy your new coach.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:44 AM   #5
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Our first motorhome had a corner bed...swore we would never have another one !!! Then...a number of years later, we bought a Toyhauler with front end berth....same thing all over again...
HENCE falling in love with the Axis 24.1 !!!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:00 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Ahhhh, the cost of our education. (See my tagline.) High on our "must have" wish list for a coach was walk around queen bed. A corner bed would have been a deal breaker.

Those of you who are shopping, note that nobody wants to trade to a corner bed RV after having a walk around, but there are a lot of folks trading off those corner bed rigs.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:00 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I buy tires and the dealer throws in a free RV. Now you pay for a bed modification and get a free RV. Seems to be a pattern forming.

Congrats and enjoy.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:35 AM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Ahhhh, the cost of our education. (See my tagline.) High on our "must have" wish list for a coach was walk around queen bed. A corner bed would have been a deal breaker.

Those of you who are shopping, note that nobody wants to trade to a corner bed RV after having a walk around, but there are a lot of folks trading off those corner bed rigs.
One of the few Class As we've seen without a slide was the retro Winnebago Brave. Not only did it have a rear corner bed, they put a studio loft above the corner bed.

It's also a motorhome almost 28-feet long on a 158-inch wheelbase. Can we say poor handling and ride? And then when it doesn't sell well they'll probably blame it on not having a slide.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
vkb

THOR #3510
WE (Ron and I) PRESUME that the RV Industry does NOT have seasoned rv/camping folks designing RV's ... it is that simple.
Look at how many years it took the home designers to bring on board women to consult on kitchen design.

Perhaps, someday, Thor et al will ask US, seasoned RV owners, for constructive feedback on design and build of their collective products.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-22-2017, 01:59 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
I'm pretty sure they know exactly what they are doing. Get you in cheap, get you hooked, get you to sell/trade for a newer and bigger one, which starts a trend for newer and bigger, and newer and bigger, then it's too big so you downsize to something a little smaller but not that corner bed model... lol
Old 03-22-2017, 02:04 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We are in the minority and don't have a problem with the corner bed. Sometimes we both use it and sometime DW uses the overcab bed. We like what we have and works for us, we like a smaller RV and don't have to have a slide. That doesn't mean we will not move up to 27 footer but right now we like it. We were out 2 months last fall and getting ready to go for 3 months seeing the great USA. Everyone have safe and happy travels.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:09 AM   #12

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
P.S. And yes some people love the corner bed. My in-laws used their corner bed setup until they quit camping/traveling well into their late 70s.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:48 AM   #13

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
I sometimes wish I had something other than the corner bed but then I remember why I got it. It beat the snot out of a convertible that had to be made every night and put away every morning. Some times you have to make a little sacrifice if you want to stay small.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:14 AM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by samven View Post
I sometimes wish I had something other than the corner bed but then I remember why I got it. It beat the snot out of a convertible that had to be made every night and put away every morning. Some times you have to make a little sacrifice if you want to stay small.
You're absolutely correct. If you want a smaller motorhome (which we do) you will have to make a sacrifice in one area or another -- perhaps multiple areas.

Having said that, a corner bed is just one of many design options that allows keeping a motorhome small. In Europe, for example, many motorhomes in the same size range utilize twin beds in rear. To accomplish that, they often make the bathroom smaller, the kitchen smaller, and the living room area smaller.

My ideal Class A motorhome would be built similar to a Class B van camper, but "slightly" larger. By slightly I mean small enough to drive and park much like a large van, and not require a toad. The Thor Axis comes close, but an even smaller and simpler version would be that much better. Light weight, four wheels, low profile, no slide, etc.... would make a great motorhome for high-mileage travelers.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #15
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by samven View Post
As I stated previously...our first motorhome, moving up from a conversion van...was a 21' Starflyte..with corner bed...we loved that motorhome..corner bed and all..IF that rv had been equipped with a slide, we would have had it a lot longer than we did..It was perfect for the size. Ron pulled up the carpet and put down vinyl...did several other upgrades.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Our 23 ~24 foot Class C didn't even have a corner bed; which is another option to make a small motorhome feel spacious during the day. The overhead bed was quite large, plus it had a couch and a dinette that also doubled as beds.

We would have kept it much longer except for the 8 MPG and horrendous noise it made at 70 MPH, particularly on rough roads. Plus we ended up using it too much like a travel van. On days we spent more time driving than sleeping, smaller size was greatly appreciated. Much depends on specific needs.