Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the question of whether a Class A gas motorhome is 'too loud' while driving can be a personal one, meaning that everyone may have a differing approach and past experience that impacts their feeling on it... I've owned a Ram dually diesel turbo pulling a 40' Blackwood fifth-wheel and certainly understand the 'noise' that can be associated with especially the take-offs in early gears, and the sometimes screaming 'up hill fights' when hills and mountains are involved.
I've also owned a '15 Georgetown XL and didn't necessarily feel any ill-will toward it's Ford powerplant - it seemed to drive great and I don't remember 'disliking' it's sounds.

I've also delivered many brand new diesel and gas Class A motorhomes from the factories to dealers all over the country, and find that I rarely had issues with the 'noise level' of the more entry-level gas coaches, like the Coachmen Pursuit, the Coachmen Mirada Select, the Newmar Country Star, the Newmar Bay Star, etc.

I think some will find most any Class A gas motorhome as 'loud', regardless of the 'FORD' version of the insulation factor, or the Manufacturers name on the front - they all originate from the same Ford factories. While some RV manufacturers 'might' add additional insulation, it's doubtful it's a dramatic swing one way or the other. You can certainly add modifications yourself.

I wonder why GM and RAM don't get in on this RV Class A thang?

Enjoy!

TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:31 AM   #22

State: Illinois
THOR #15910
I added some sound dampener and heat shield to my 2016 ACE. Made a huge difference in heat and sound. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8191.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	23184
Old 04-07-2020, 09:40 PM   #23

Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
THOR #18251
I used a material called FATMAT (got on amazon) and put it over the existing material under doghouse and also stuck it on the floorboards from underneath and in front wheel wells.
It has made a huge difference in engine and road/tire noises. It’s a great material relatively easy to cut to size and apply .At least on my coach. I like the adaptation of the doormat you did Nice job imo every little bit helps decrease the decibels which is good.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate1025 View Post
Have you added sound dampening to your engine cowling? Should a Thor Miramar have the sound dampening already? (It this a warrantee issue?) Did you add sound dampening material on the underside of the cowling (engine side) or on top of the cowling (under console etc). Cowling get VERY HOT, engine noise is VERY loud!
YES: YOU SHOULD!!!! I have a 2018 Windsport 29m. We had a 2017 Axis 25.2 and the engine cover got hot. We traded it after 9 months and the Windsport got hot at the end toward the back. I got some adhesive backed heat and sound insulating material. Covered the existing foam that was not very sturdy or effective. Ended up using all of the roll and put 3 layers inside the cover.

It made a big diff on the temp of the cover AND A BIG DIFF on the noise level. It's definitely worth the cost and time to do it!!

Bob Trice
Old 05-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #25

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Oregon
THOR #16645
Well worth the effort!

Thank you for all the information on the Sound Dampening. We completed our project earlier this week. Can wait to to take the rig out for a trail run!
We used the Dynamat Extreme and the 3/4" hood liner for the heat shield. We encountered and removed the thinnest (most worthless) heat shield (VERY well glued in) when we began. I found it very helpful to have the "roller tool for applying the Dynamat pieces as we layered them in. I bought an extra roll of tape for the heat shield but didn't need it. I wish they had a 2" tape for use with the thicker heat shield.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:29 PM   #26

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdb View Post
I’ve done a lot of sound dampening work on my Thor Vegas 24.1. The doghouse, dash and firewall all covered to the extent possible with Dynamat and Hoodliner

This weekend I installed the carpet/mat (at the link below) in the cab area floor. That made a Phenomenal improvement. And it looks great. The mat is very heavy rubber with a nice fiber basket weave pattern. I’ll try to attach a picture. Honestly it totally transformed the coach while driving. I also installed the mat in the outside storage bin floors, which I think helped even more

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mohawk-Home...-in/1000043727

Photo below

Dave
Dave, I appreciate your post and the picture of the installed mat.
I just bought two of these and plan on installing them in the next several weeks. I feel it will help insulate the road noise!
Dan
Old 08-22-2020, 04:49 PM   #27
Jdb

State: Indiana
THOR #17892
You’ll be shocked at how much sound this blocks!

Dave
Old 08-23-2020, 01:37 AM   #28

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Ohio
THOR #4541
Dave, that's a great mod and it looks fantastic.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #29

THOR #17456
Quote:
You’ll be shocked at how much sound this blocks!

Dave
You're right! The difference is HUGE in both road noise and heat reduction and the mats are very nice looking. At the same time I added a second layer of insulation to the doghouse.

The total job probably took 10 hours or so (I work slow), but was completely worthwhile.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:16 AM   #30

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
Jdb: Thought your mod was a great idea so we did the same in our 17 ACE. Took the DW and I about 4 hours to install and that includes removing the seats. Definitely recommend cutting a template and then laying the mat on the floor to cut. I used a pair of tin snips to cut around Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0679.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	26684the template and then cut the holes for the chair bolts with a utility knife. We used the 48X60 mat and although it didn’t go all the way across the cabin, we were able to use the cutout piece from the doghouse to fill in the gap. Mounted the chairs on top of the mat in hopes of reducing more of the road noise. Will be taking a fairly long trip soon and we anticipate that the noise level will be greatly reduced.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #31

THOR #17456
Nice Job!

You did a very nice job and you will definitely notice a decrease in noise.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:01 PM   #32

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Says that mat is for outdoor use only. Do I need to worry that it made of used tires
Old 10-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #33

THOR #3471
Hello! This door mat is for outdoor use only and will not need a rug pad.

By MohawkSupport on May 1, 2018
MohawkSupport
Old 10-31-2020, 02:06 PM   #34

State: Alaska
THOR #21079
I added "killzmat" (similar to dynamat) to the doghouse and front of the engine compartment. I then added carpet back to the underdash portion you see here like it was before. In addition to killzmat on the doghouse I then added a thermal insulation since the mat is a butyl rubber. This was part of a flooring replacement project which is a vinyl composite plank also with a minor amount of insulation on it. I don't have a photo but I also put killzmat in the wheel wells on both driver and passenger sides. This has made a huge improvement!Click image for larger version

Name:	20201025_151524.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	26967
Old 10-31-2020, 02:16 PM   #35

THOR #17456
Your project

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodag99 View Post
I added "killzmat" (similar to dynamat) to the doghouse and front of the engine compartment. I then added carpet back to the underdash portion you see here like it was before. In addition to killzmat on the doghouse I then added a thermal insulation since the mat is a butyl rubber. This was part of a flooring replacement project which is a vinyl composite plank also with a minor amount of insulation on it. I don't have a photo but I also put killzmat in the wheel wells on both driver and passenger sides. This has made a huge improvement!Attachment 26967
You did a nice job! There is so little sound/heat insulation in the stock RV, it seems most every change is an incremental improvement. I did much of what you did and find my wife and I can now talk to each other in a normal voice at 70mph.

Did you install the vinyl planks over the linoleum or remove it first? Did you install any kind of an underlayment? Did you remove the toilet or install the planks around it?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2020, 02:24 PM   #36

THOR #3471
Quote:
I used two of the 4x6 mats, and cut them to fit around everything. I tried cutting with a utility knife first - that didn’t work well. I then bought a pair of heavy-duty scissors from Lowe’s (in the cutting tools area) and those have worked very well.

The mats are heavy and not very flexible, so it takes some time; however, the results are totally worth the effort!

Dave

Did you take your seats out to install the mats. Was that hard to do
Old 10-31-2020, 02:31 PM   #37

THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate1025 View Post
Thank you for all the information on the Sound Dampening. We completed our project earlier this week. Can wait to to take the rig out for a trail run!
We used the Dynamat Extreme and the 3/4" hood liner for the heat shield. We encountered and removed the thinnest (most worthless) heat shield (VERY well glued in) when we began. I found it very helpful to have the "roller tool for applying the Dynamat pieces as we layered them in. I bought an extra roll of tape for the heat shield but didn't need it. I wish they had a 2" tape for use with the thicker heat shield.

Where did you buy the hood liner sounds like a great idea
Old 10-31-2020, 10:32 PM   #38

State: Alaska
THOR #21079
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
You did a nice job! There is so little sound/heat insulation in the stock RV, it seems most every change is an incremental improvement. I did much of what you did and find my wife and I can now talk to each other in a normal voice at 70mph.

Did you install the vinyl planks over the linoleum or remove it first? Did you install any kind of an underlayment? Did you remove the toilet or install the planks around it?

Thanks!
Thanks! Agreed any little change helps. We are no longer shouting over road noise! I did not remove the vinyl flooring underneath but I cleaned it thoroughly. It still had good adhesion otherwise I would have. I did remove it one spot where I suspected water intrusion but luckily there wasn't any. The planks themselves have a padding on them so no underlayment required. It's ProCore from Lowe's. I pulled out the toilet because my wife wanted a new one that didnt have anyone else's bum on it [emoji16] as well as the dinette booths and jackknife sofa. To finish it off around the edges I used 3/4" Instatrim from Amazon. Just re-installed the seats today!
Old 11-11-2020, 12:41 AM   #39

Model: Windsport 31s
THOR #19594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
Jdb: Thought your mod was a great idea so we did the same in our 17 ACE. Took the DW and I about 4 hours to install and that includes removing the seats. Definitely recommend cutting a template and then laying the mat on the floor to cut. I used a pair of tin snips to cut around Attachment 26684the template and then cut the holes for the chair bolts with a utility knife. We used the 48X60 mat and although it didn’t go all the way across the cabin, we were able to use the cutout piece from the doghouse to fill in the gap. Mounted the chairs on top of the mat in hopes of reducing more of the road noise. Will be taking a fairly long trip soon and we anticipate that the noise level will be greatly reduced.

Steamboat, I really like the way you did the seats. I am curious how it worked out from a noise reduction standpoint. Did you put anything under the mat to secure it or just let it lay? Also what is the distance from wall to wall? I am curious if two 48 inch mats side by side would make it wall to wall?
Old 11-11-2020, 02:39 AM   #40

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpandt View Post
Steamboat, I really like the way you did the seats. I am curious how it worked out from a noise reduction standpoint. Did you put anything under the mat to secure it or just let it lay? Also what is the distance from wall to wall? I am curious if two 48 inch mats side by side would make it wall to wall?

Mcpandt: Thanks, we did notice a difference in the road noise. Although the road noise is still there to some degree, it was muffled and flat.
The distance from the passenger wall to the driver wall in our 17 ACE 30.4 is 8 feet and 4 feet from the edge of the cabin step up to the firewall. I used one 4 X 6 mat, the 4 foot portion fit perfectly from the edge of the step to the firewall. Since it was two feet short, we put the seam on the drivers side where it isn’t as noticeable. Left the doghouse in place and cut around it and used the remnant to piece in the remaining two feet on the drivers side. Placed double face carpet tape under the seam and around the doghouse and also used brown pan head screws from Lowes to anchor in various spots. Also used the screws to secure the the carpet along the edge of the step up. Mounted the seats on the carpet to hopefully reduce noise. Two 48 inch mats would fit across but not sure they come 48 inch square. Check Jdb’s posts as well.