Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #6107
Question Spare Tires

Hi we just purchased a Thor Axis 24.1. It does not have any spare tires [looks like the 4 on the rear are different than the 2 on the front].
I feel uncomfortable with no spare tire(s) on board.

Naturally, I plan on phoning the road side assistant if ever have a flat; however, wouldn't it be more time efficient if we had a tire available for the Road Side Assistant to put on?

Then this brings me to think of this: "would I need two tires of two different sizes because the rear tires are different than the front tires?"

What about the rim? "is it a wise idea to also purchase the rim and have the tire(s) mounted?"

Just curious what the rest of you folks out in RV Land are doing. Lord I pray I never have a flat.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
This question has been discussed at length:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...tire-5819.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...-2-a-5271.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...-1-a-3103.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...axis-3195.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...egas-1322.html

I believe that the tires and rims are all the same (just read through some of the above).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
My unit has a spare tire carrier installed. It was an option when new. The carrier resembles the standard carriers found on ford trucks.
I carry an installed spare tire and wheel with me. I never needed it, but it is sure nice to have one along.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:17 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
My unit has a spare tire carrier installed. It was an option when new. The carrier resembles the standard carriers found on ford trucks.
I carry an installed spare tire and wheel with me. I never needed it, but it is sure nice to have one along.
Better having one and not need it than needing one and not having it! Not as critical in the U.S.A., but in Mexico it can be a problem!
Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #6107
Smile Spare Tire

A big thanks to everyone for your spare tire replies.

I have decided to purchase a spare tire and just not inflate it. I can put it in the large compartment in back. I will always be calling for road side assistance; however, it would be convenient to have the spare tire to save time [just in case the road side service does not have my type of tire].

Personally, I think it would be a big PLUS if the Thor Company would at least come with a spare tire attachment underneath the MH so everyone doesn't have to go to the shop and have one installed.

It appears the majority of people do want a spare tire for security.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...tire-5819.html

I carried a spare in the back compartment (just the tire - no rim) on my trip to Alaska but it takes up a lot of room. One does fit quite nicely in my Axis underneath, behind the rear wheels (see above). Since you will have roadside assistance help you anyway, they could easily get it out, if you could have someone help you get it in there. Then you would never have to worry about it and it would not fill the limited space you have in that rear compartment.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyStapler View Post

.....cut....

Personally, I think it would be a big PLUS if the Thor Company would at least come with a spare tire attachment underneath the MH so everyone doesn't have to go to the shop and have one installed.

I completely agree. It would indicate a greater level of attention to detail if they provided at least the space for a spare tire; although I would prefer the space to be in a storage compartment rather than under the motorhome. Something like in this picture would be ideal for me.

Space for bikes or large items would be nice too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	3682  
Old 01-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyStapler View Post
A big thanks to everyone for your spare tire replies.

I have decided to purchase a spare tire and just not inflate it. I can put it in the large compartment in back. I will always be calling for road side assistance; however, it would be convenient to have the spare tire to save time [just in case the road side service does not have my type of tire].

I didn't think that a tire would fit in any compartment of a 24.1 Axis, but, I didn't want to take up that much room out of what storage the unit has. As I posted before, I bought a tire only, wrapped it in furniture moving cellophane and mounted it between the frame rails behind the fuel tank. One end of the tire on the tow bar and the other end of the tire on top of a 2x6 piece of wood cut to fit. I also put two carriage bolts through the wood and existing holes in the frame rails to keep it tight and in place. Drove it over 3000 miles and it is still tightly in place. I agree that at least I wouldn't have to wait days for a tow company to find a tire to mount for me.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Spare fits in drivers side of big compartment at rear of 24.1.

A full size spare tire will fit in drivers side of big compartment in 24.1. That is where mine is, fully mounted and ready to install. All six rims on e450 are identical. Rears are reversed on outside.

I did not think it would fit originally and had it on race car trailer. One day when reconfiguring trailer, I tried it and it fit fine. Leave my shore power cords on it. I also bought a 12 ton bottle jack and carry breaker bar, extensions, heavy sockets and a pipe.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I negotiated a spare into my deal from the dealer, once he stopped coming off the price..... so the dealer through in a new tire on a rim.

Mine is a different model so this likely doesn't apply to the OP, but I found that the coach frame had mounting tabs under the rear. I bought a rack through Thor that was made by Morryde. Works fairly well, very basic, and would be easy for a handy person to DIY.

Honestly, I would be just about as happy.... in fact, in hind site I would probably prefer.... to have just a tire without the rim. I'll rely on roadside service to do the changing anyway most likely so the rim is just extra weight. I don't carry a jack or tools, but I suppose there might be an occasion when a wrecker service, or one of those roadside assistant services in the big cities might provide the jack but not have tools for mounting the tire... so teh rim is a plus in that regard..

Tags
no spare tires