Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2022, 12:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
Speed limiter?

While on a trip with high winds, I would be stepping on the pedal to the floor, and I couldn't get my rig to go faster than 70-75....and many times even past 60mph. I was towing a jeep and there were times I wanted to get around a big rig, but couldn't cause I couldn't get the rig to go any faster. I would have thought it would down shift or something.

Old 10-29-2022, 12:23 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
While on a trip with high winds, I would be stepping on the pedal to the floor, and I couldn't get my rig to go faster than 70-75....and many times even past 60mph. I was towing a jeep and there were times I wanted to get around a big rig, but couldn't cause I couldn't get the rig to go any faster. I would have thought it would down shift or something.

70-75! These things are happiest at about 65 on a good day!
Old 10-29-2022, 01:08 AM   #3

THOR #3923
I was cruising across the California desert at 75...and I felt completely comfortable.
Old 10-29-2022, 02:00 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
What makes you think it will go faster than 75 mph? Get you a chip. Throw a 10 speed tranny in it. Change the rear end.
Old 10-29-2022, 02:14 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I was cruising across the California desert at 75...and I felt completely comfortable.
The factory speed limiter is set at 75 to 77 due to the speed rating of the OEM tires.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 03:24 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
My 29M will do 80, but that is it. On our local toll road the speed limit is 85 and most travel 90 or 95. I can't keep up with the flow of traffic. But I agree with Pete, it drives better and gets better mileage at 60 - 65.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 01:44 PM   #7

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
THOR #26179
Towing a Jeep in high winds may be the determining factor .
Old 10-29-2022, 03:38 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If you're driving a large motorhome 75 to 90 mph be sure your life insurance is paid up & the kids know where the paperworks at!
I'm sorry but if you're in that big of a hurry you should of left a day earlier or left the MH behind & took a flight.
Driving a MH at those speeds is extremely dangerous for you & everyone else on the highway with you! If me or mine were involved in an accident with a MH doing 90 mph the family of the MH owners best have a damn good lawyer.
Not to mention if yours has the Ford V10 your probably getting 1-2 mpg, if not negative mpg.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 04:22 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
If you're driving a large motorhome 75 to 90 mph be sure your life insurance is paid up & the kids know where the paperworks at!
I'm sorry but if you're in that big of a hurry you should of left a day earlier or left the MH behind & took a flight.
Driving a MH at those speeds is extremely dangerous for you & everyone else on the highway with you! If me or mine were involved in an accident with a MH doing 90 mph the family of the MH owners best have a damn good lawyer.
Not to mention if yours has the Ford V10 your probably getting 1-2 mpg, if not negative mpg.
Wouldn't "negative mpg" mean that gas is being added to your tank as you drive?

Asking for a friend...................
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 03:47 AM   #10

THOR #3923
I was going 65-70 and I had motorhomes, cars, 18-wheelers passing me. The roads I was on are out in the middle of nowhere and straight as far as the eye can see...the speed limit was 75.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:55 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Quote:
I was going 65-70 and I had motorhomes, cars, 18-wheelers passing me. The roads I was on are out in the middle of nowhere and straight as far as the eye can see...the speed limit was 75.
Maybe your circumstances are different but most of have better control if we slow down in high wind conditions.

You didn’t mention direction but head winds and side winds will limit your top speed. But you probably know that.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:03 PM   #12

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Can you lower your floor so that the pedal can go down further?
Old 11-02-2022, 08:13 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Towing any vehicle in California has a set speed limit of 55 mph per the California Vehicle Code plus there are signs on every California freeway advising that if towing, 55 mph maximum speed.

Paul
Old 11-02-2022, 09:36 PM   #14

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Towing any vehicle in California has a set speed limit of 55 mph per the California Vehicle Code plus there are signs on every California freeway advising that if towing, 55 mph maximum speed.

Paul
REALLY??? I didn't know this!

Glad the states I was in didn't have this rule. 99% of the people towing/trailing don't follow this rule...including truckers.

My post wasn't about getting a course on driver safety or laws in California...thank you.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:44 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Hilarious!!!!

I have heard some have speed limiters based on oem tire ratings. Mine being on 2016 e450 chassis will run 85 on flat ground. Have not felt any need to see what upper limit is. Engine not really working hard at that speed.

I have no issue running it up periodically as chassis and driveline designed to operate over a wide variety of loads. Being in Florda in the hottest times it seems prudent to go a little easier due to tire/road heat. I had someone ask why I feel tires/trailer hubs while fueling, explained looking for variation in temps. Any wide variation may be sign of impending failure. Have heat gun I use at times or if something feels unusual.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:52 AM   #16

Model: Hurrican 34J
THOR #4107
Our Hurricane has a limiter at 75mph

the important thing is how quick can you STOP!

And how will you explain to survivors in a crash why you couldn't stop in time.

Take extra time when driving a big rig and enjoy the trip!
Old 11-05-2022, 05:24 AM   #17

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperTrail View Post
the important thing is how quick can you STOP!

And how will you explain to survivors in a crash why you couldn't stop in time.

Take extra time when driving a big rig and enjoy the trip!
Perhaps you didn't read...and this goes for others.

This POST wasn't to get lectures from people about driving at safe speeds.

Regardless, driving slow can be dangerous in itself, especially when passing a big rig and trying to get around/away from them as quickly as possible, merging onto a freeway and getting out of the way of an on-coming traffic... especially a big rig. What is important is to leave plenty of space for stopping.

Enough about speed and safety.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:42 PM   #18

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
The question is are you hitting a speed limiter or a rev limiter? Years ago, I had a similar problem on my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The problem was caused by the RPM limiter and the transmission. In short, the transmission shift point from second gear was set too high. This was only a problem at full throttle then the RPM limit would kick in and then set up an on / off / on / off cycle. The first time it happened it was absolutely the most terrifying thing that ever happened to me while driving because I was attempting to merge into traffic traveling at 80 mph. The problem was corrected when I got my transmission rebuilt. Your problem might be that the transmission tries to down shift when you push the throttle to the floor but shifting into the lower gear results in the engine RPM going too high and the rev limiter slows the engine down. I would get your transmission checked out.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:39 PM   #19

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
Hello, the easy answer if you want to go faster but necessarily sure it's safer is to buy and install a 5 star tuner which will allow you to adjust speed limit govonor to where you want it and also will adjust the shift parameters on your transmission. Read up on it if interested and see if there are any restrictions on being sold to you you based on where you live and also to see if this might be a good fit for you. Good luck
Old 11-05-2022, 06:07 PM   #20

Model: Hurrican 34J
THOR #4107
I did read your comment!

Quote:
Perhaps you didn't read...and this goes for others.

This POST wasn't to get lectures from people about driving at safe speeds.

Regardless, driving slow can be dangerous in itself, especially when passing a big rig and trying to get around/away from them as quickly as possible, merging onto a freeway and getting out of the way of an on-coming traffic... especially a big rig. What is important is to leave plenty of space for stopping.

Enough about speed and safety.
I did read you post, but maybe I didn't make the point I wanted to make.

The question is why do you want to go faster than 70-75 on BIG RIG?

The governor is installed on all this big unit because if you are driving any faster you won't be able to stop within a safe distance as required by the Highway Safety guidelines. So, you become a danger to other people on the road and everyone onboard your own RV.

Yes, there are ways to circumvent this limit. I ask again, why would you?

and as for not even getting 65 on high wind conditions, it's call aerodynamics, and RV don't know how to spell that.