Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: windsport 27k
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2451
Starter Kits

Good morning fellow Thor's . Recently we purchased a new 2015 windsport 27k . We were surprised at we did NOT receive any starter kit . We did get a 25.00 gift card which would hardly buy one of the needed items to get started. Is this typical of Camping world? Also our unit was held for 18 days and was not prepped nor were the Extra's we paid for done . It was a 3 1/2 hr ride to where we purchased it they wanted us to bring it back to do the things they had 2 1/2 weeks to do...duh! We did make arrangements for them to approve another Camping world nearer us. Can anyone tell me is this going to be the typical service from these CW's. ?

Old 08-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
CW locations for service seem to be hit and miss. From talking to others it appears that some locations are good while most are sub-par.

Starter kits are generally a dealer item. My first RV purchase included a relatively extensive starter kit while this purchase included none; I did not however need anything because I kept what I had from the previous coach.

Prepping the vehicle should have been done and CW is required by Thor to have you sign a form indicating that it was performed to your satisfaction. That form also serves as the warranty registration that must be sent to Thor.

Just in case, you may want to start looking for other Thor service centers in your immediate area.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I have a CW approx 30 minutes from home, but we found and bought ours from a CW a few hours drive away.
Did the prelim deal over the phone
and when we showed up for the PDI they had it cleaned up real nice, but it was obvious they didn't do much in the way of doing what needed to be done.
tons of loose screws, and all sorts of little things
and the genny wouldn't start
so they replaced the carb, and fixed a whole bunch of little things from my punch list.

I ended up finding a whole bunch of others, little things mostly that i just addressed myself.

Ultimately took it into my neighborhood CW for some warranty stuff, and had no problems due to my buying from a different CW.
Not impressed with CW overall, with poor response times, typical customer no-service, etc... but they did the work..... well most of it....

If you ever need to get warranty work done, be sure to get in touch with your Thor in house customer serv rep sooner rather than later, and work through them instead of relying on the CW folks

They seem to have a revolving door for their service writers at my CW store, and are generally not impressive.

And to your original topic
NO, I too was surprised in the lack of throw ins
I expected a few Thor logo hats or shirts
& a good starter kit with sewer hose, etc...

The did give us a couple of CW hats and other stuff
and I had negotiated a bunk ladder and some store credit into the deal
But by the time they got it out of the shop with my punch list items so we could seal the deal, the store had closed, so I couldn't "buy" my sewer hose.... so they gave me one.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #4

THOR #2451
thank youf responses

Thank you for the responses I actually feel better that I am not the only dissatisfied client of CW. Dstankov at pick up of the vehicle we DID NOT sign anything for Thor. Now that you mention that I need to go thru the paper work given and see if they "slipped" it in at purchase time before anything was done.(???)
The info on contacting Thor concerning work needing to be done is advice well taken, I shall make note of that. Blw2 we did get two free umbrella's one broken. lol.
Very disheartened by CW service. The only good thing I can say is they are not rude nor pushy in any form at all, I guess that makes them "YES" people.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsport27k2015 View Post
Thank you for the responses I actually feel better that I am not the only dissatisfied client of CW. Dstankov at pick up of the vehicle we DID NOT sign anything for Thor. Now that you mention that I need to go thru the paper work given and see if they "slipped" it in at purchase time before anything was done.(???)
The info on contacting Thor concerning work needing to be done is advice well taken, I shall make note of that. Blw2 we did get two free umbrella's one broken. lol.
Very disheartened by CW service. The only good thing I can say is they are not rude nor pushy in any form at all, I guess that makes them "YES" people.
My suggestion which is your decision to take or leave:

Call Thor and ask them if Camping World registered the warranty on your vehicle. The warranty registration form is the first page (after the cover) in the owner's manual. Not sure how Mass works but in Virginia I had to sign 2 forms concerning the warranty. The first was the registration form and the second was a form authorizing the dealer to register the warranty with Thor on my behalf. A phone call from a Thor rep 3 days later verified the warranty had been registered.

Also, while you have Thor on the line, ask them to send you the

Fresh Water diagram
Waste Water diagram
Electrical Schematics (both 12 VDC and 120 VAC)
Build Sheet which lists all components and serial numbers

These items may come in handy in the future.

On the topic of warranties, did CW identify the components in the coach (e.g. refrigerator) that require a separate warranty registration and have those manuals and registration forms in one location for discussion and review?

Again, just a suggestion.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #6

THOR #2451
Thor info

Thank you Dstankov,
I will take your advice I find it extremely useful to learn from experienced people no matter what the field. I shall check what I have for info. I did get a big black bag with the manuals/registrations for each tv , radio, fridge etc.. we did purchase extended warranties on several of the items fridge, stove etc...
When we bought the coach and the appointment was made for ( the pick up ) tutorial we were told to allow two hours, let me say two hours is what we should of had we got a whirlwind tutorial in about 35 minutes in fact he the "teacher" spoke so quickly it was like spoken shorthand!
Love our coach , Thor makes a solid product . But maybe they need to take a better look at their distributors, just saying....
I shall continue to pick the knowledge of you and others as we learn the in and outs of the coach and any information that is linked.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #7

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsport27k2015 View Post
When we bought the coach and the appointment was made for ( the pick up ) tutorial we were told to allow two hours, let me say two hours is what we should of had we got a whirlwind tutorial in about 35 minutes in fact he the "teacher" spoke so quickly it was like spoken shorthand! ....
I would guess that my dealer had also planned for around 2 hours max.

I will say that my PDI inspection tech was very patient and good, sounds like much better than yours.
I had none of that 2 hour stuff though....
I showed up tools in hand
crawled under, over, around, and through everything. filled and drained every tank, checked every switch and system I could in every mode....
I think it was around 4-1/2 to 5 hours before we got it out of the shop for the punch list, test drive in, and papers signed and sealed....
I saw a customer or two in after me, do their PDI's and out the door long before I was done....
and there were still things I missed!
and if I had it to do over again, I would set my appointment for morning to give more time.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #8

THOR #2451
blw2 wow you did awesome

Hello blw2,
Man I wish we had the lesson you had, how awesome is that. I noticed you and another member said punch list and sign off etc..
We did not get a punch list (which I expected) nor sign anything at all when we left. In fact after our unit was vac'd the only prep we believe got done at all (and that happened while we were there!) . We stood around a lot alone waiting for someone to tell us what next. Had to find someone to tell us, Guess what nothing next they handed us the keys and said good luck and goodbye, literally. How is that for a send off. We were so in the dark if it weren't for the 3 1/2 hr ride home more would of occurred and like you they were closed by the time we left. we spent 6 hours there for little of nothing they even told us to go to lunch and come back they weren't "ready" for us. Yikes! CW thumbs down.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #9

THOR #908
oh no, i think you misunderstood.....
while he did walk me through a few things and tried to answer any questions I came up with, this was all me "driving the bus".
His lesson if I would have only listened to it and done nothing else, likely wouldn't have been any longer than the one you got.
That time was mostly me checking and testing and asking questions....
noting and photographing problems and pointing them out to him....
Then when i was done
I asked why there wasn't a tech out here already starting on the repairs!

they were waiting for me to finish so they could pull it into the service bay.... while I twiddled my thumbs a while
then i had to point out a few more things they didn't do right...
... back in the bay....
tehn it was after that I think that i did a test drive....

and the "punch list" we refer to, is only the list of things that I found.
Well in all honesty the PDI tech did notice one or two things himself that were listed for action....
Old 08-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #10

THOR #908
I'll say this....
I'm fairly handy with houses and such
and did a fair bit of research going into this, my first MH purchase
so I came ready with tools.
including a battery load tester that i couldn't use since they had it plugged in when I arrived....
an AC outlet analyzer that I have, and misc stuff so that i could open inspection hatches and such....
My point is I checked it over thoroughly,
but still found more things I just didn't see as we loaded and camped the 1st night... and coming trips.

My PDI was on saturday at i think 1PM
One recall question came up in my research, that went unanswered because they couldn't call the factory on saturday
then we ran out of time... I held them after closing!

If I had it to do again
I would set my PDI for a weekday, and early in the week.... like Monday
and in the morning so I'd have all day, not that I would need it
I would plan to camp the first night very nearby.... even better in their parking lot!
and I would have a standing service bay appointment the following day, just in case
Old 08-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #11

THOR #2451
blw2

No I understood , I should have said too bad we had not been as proactive as you! Smart thinking. Lesson learned for sure.
As for punch list I think they should of physically had one! Way too many things that your assuming before one leaves with such a large purchase.
We did request a couple of fixes that were obvious, such as front reflector missing, stove top not "hitched correctly" Bathroom trim popped out (they forgot to repair that we noticed too late) and one rather amusing one that definitely made us think the fluid levels of transmission and oil were never checked (part of the prep work) was when the "teacher" opened the hood and low and behold a chocolate milk bottle stuck of the radiator. I personally pulled it out. Information on the bottle Indiana hmmm... manufacturing plant?? The "teacher" took it from me and threw it on the ground. Guess he thought if he threw it so haphazardly it meant nothing to buyers.
We will learn from others and from our own mistakes , guess it will take time. We did do something correctly tested all the water faucets, levelers, toilet flush, shower . Checked for leaks and the generator and direct currents and ac unit all worked before we left. At this point nothing significant is standing out, with the exception of the extras we paid for non of which appear to have been done , hence back to CW nearer to home.
No matter what we intend to have fun and enjoy our new Coach!
Old 08-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #12

THOR #908
good deal
sounds like you did well enough....

odds are good you'll find a few more loose screws maybe but nothing too much more than that.

I found a lot of the drawer slides had one screw where two or three would do.... and some of the slides failed after a short time.I don't know what your rig is, but watch the tail lights for signs that they have leaked in moisture.... potential for rotted wood if left alone... search for a thread by FW28Z on that one....

Otherwise it should be happy camping for you!
Old 08-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #13

THOR #2451
blw2

Thanks for that tid bit on drawers . Will check that out. Will check the thread you mentioned.
You have been a pamphlet of information appreciate the advice!
Happy Camping. Off to VT for apple picking in October looking forward to it!
Old 11-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #14

State: Arkansas
THOR #1378
Dave
I keep getting the run around on the schematic from thor. Is there some magic in how you got them. Thor says "we dont have the information" Yea right.
If you can let me know who I might be able to talk to I have 2015 Windsport 27k
Old 11-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by eengstrom54 View Post
Dave
I keep getting the run around on the schematic from thor. Is there some magic in how you got them. Thor says "we dont have the information" Yea right.
If you can let me know who I might be able to talk to I have 2015 Windsport 27k
I got them 2 ways. First I had an issue where I couldn't get a straight answer on how my waste water (grey and black) tanks were plumbed so I asked the Thor rep I was dealing with to send them to me. She sent me the waste water and fresh water diagrams in a manner of minutes. Justification was to verify how the coach was plumbed.

The electrical diagrams I received by using Thor's customer support website. These I requested twice and got them within 3 days both times. I did not list a justification for wanting these.

The last thing I got were the exterior wall structural diagrams, again requested through the website. These I got within 3 days. With the response Thor said they only had the diagram for one of the 3 slides. The justification I used for this is wanting to vent the micro/convection oven to the outside.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #16

State: Arkansas
THOR #1378
I thank you for that quick response. These are the diagrams I am seeking, I will follow your lead and add a "justification" to my requests. Side note: thanks for your service!
Ed and Lorrie