Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #815
Angry Steering Issues

Has anyone had any luck with Thor regarding the steering issues? I just purchased a 2014 A.C.E. 27.1 and have had no luck keeping it on the road when a semi goes by. I have added a safety plus steering stabilizer which helped with the initial wandering and need for consistent correction to keep it on the road.

Now when on an interstate I am faced with semi's blowing me out of my lane and onto the shoulder. I had to get off of the interstate on my last trip and travel back roads to get home.

I took the unit to a local Ford Dealer and was advised that the F53 chassis is not designed for the motor home that Thor puts on the chassis and this is a constant problem they are seeing with Thor and other manufactures.

I contacted Thor and was advised there was no problem with the unit. The problem was that I didn't know how to drive a motor home?

I am now trying the Cheap Fix and an anti-sway bar. So now not only have I purchased a $100,000 dollar motor home that I can't take on an interstate hwy. I now have to spend another $1,000 plus to HOPEFULLY FIX this defect in Thor's design.

Anyone had any luck getting reimbursed?

Old 05-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 32.1
THOR #611
Larry,
I don't know how, but I deleted a large piece of this message thread. I apologize. I added two replies and accidentally duplicated one and when I tried to delete that one, it deleted all.

Fat Finger Frank
Old 05-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #3

Model: ACE
THOR #698
Wandering

Check your tire pressure and get it weighed. I have 2014 27.1 and reduced the air pressure to just under 80 psi. The sticker calls for 82 psi and my weight is well below the max allowed, about 1000 lb below the max on each axle. This was with the RV full and gas tank full. I only carry about 5 gal of water as this enough to flush the toilet. Who needs to carry 50 gal of water. This seemed to help a lot. The only way you are going to get any help from the tire companies is to get the front tires separately weighed and the duals on the back separately weighed. The tire companies are not just willing to make any recommendations of tire pressure probably because all of the legalize in making a recommendation.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEUSeller View Post
Larry,
I don't know how, but I deleted a large piece of this message thread. I apologize. I added two replies and accidentally duplicated one and when I tried to delete that one, it deleted all.

Fat Finger Frank

frank-
I believe this is the post you accidentally deleted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEUSeller View Post

I figured out a center point on the windshield...

I figured out a center point on the windshield which I can my eye on and use to keep the coach centered in my lane. I get it there and then make small corrections. In the past, I have driven some...
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
You might try Air Tabs. The people that have them swear by them...

Airtab: Aerodynamic fuel savers for truck, tractor, trailer, bus, RV
Old 05-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #758
ACE Thor problems

My ACE 30 drives better with the sway bar adjustment and with the extra stabilizer added.
We drive at 55 mph on the interstate when in heavy traffic, and when the wind is blowing, and when we see a semi approaching from behind us. The ACE is controllable at 55 mph when there is no wind or semi passing us.

Even at 55 mph the semis push us over to the right and we have to prepare to counter act the push or we are pushed out of our lane. If there is little traffic and no wind we can get to 60-65 mph but we must stay alert for any approaching semis.

This requires such concentration and keeping control of the RV is so demanding that we can only drive for about an hour and a half and then we have to switch to the other driver. When we tow our small car we cannot tell any difference in this situation. Trips that take a day now take two days. Trips that take two days now take four days. This creates extra expense for the additional RV charges.

When driving the Thor ACE we both hate it. When parked we like it very much. It fits our needs and our wish is that Thor and Camping World, or Thor or Ford would recall it.

On our last trip from Niceville Fl to Mariana Fl and back we decided to return home on highway 90 rather than I-10 and avoid the problems of wind and semis passing us.

I cannot believe that anyone working for Camping World, Thor, or Ford would accept a new vehicle with this kind of problem.

An unhappy owner of an ACE
Old 05-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #7

THOR #815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Williams View Post
My ACE 30 drives better with the sway bar adjustment and with the extra stabilizer added.
We drive at 55 mph on the interstate when in heavy traffic, and when the wind is blowing, and when we see a semi approaching from behind us. The ACE is controllable at 55 mph when there is no wind or semi passing us.

Even at 55 mph the semis push us over to the right and we have to prepare to counter act the push or we are pushed out of our lane. If there is little traffic and no wind we can get to 60-65 mph but we must stay alert for any approaching semis.

This requires such concentration and keeping control of the RV is so demanding that we can only drive for about an hour and a half and then we have to switch to the other driver. When we tow our small car we cannot tell any difference in this situation. Trips that take a day now take two days. Trips that take two days now take four days. This creates extra expense for the additional RV charges.

When driving the Thor ACE we both hate it. When parked we like it very much. It fits our needs and our wish is that Thor and Camping World, or Thor or Ford would recall it.

On our last trip from Niceville Fl to Mariana Fl and back we decided to return home on highway 90 rather than I-10 and avoid the problems of wind and semis passing us.

I cannot believe that anyone working for Camping World, Thor, or Ford would accept a new vehicle with this kind of problem.

An unhappy owner of an ACE
Larry, I know how you feel everything you have said is exactly what my wife and I are experiencing. I have contacted both Thor and Ford. Both point fingers at the other and say it is not their problem. My wife is at the point where she follows me in another vehicle and refuses to drive the motor home at all. When I spoke to Ford they were pleasant and advised to have the vehicle weighted. The weight is spec'd at 35-40% on the front wheels and the remainder on the rear.

I just got back from having our unit weighted and it came in at exactly 35% on front with the tanks all full. So back to the drawing board. I am not going to give up on this there has to be someone who will help all of us owners who have been mislead and sold unsafe motor vehicles.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Guy's, I hate to tell you this, but it's that same old crap that has been going on for years. Where I first became aware of it was back in 1992. We bought a new 32 ft. Winnebago. It was built on a 3500 Chev frame. Same thing happened to us that you are all talking about.The problem is they build these things on to light of a chassis. Any thing that big belongs on a Freightliner Chassis or something comparable. That way you have something with adequate frame and suspension to handle a big box like that.
The RV industry knows all about what you are complaining about and so does the auto industry. They have been hearing the same old complaints for years.

I finally got tired of fighting it and traded it for a smaller class c. That was pretty good. We wanted more room so ended up with a 5th wheel. There is no fighting the wind drag or push any more. It goes down the road just like string.

So I guess in my opinion, all you can do is keep it and complain and continue to fight it white knuckled every trip, or traded it off for one with a decent heavy duty chassis under it, or, buy a 5th wheel.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:02 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
If you look at the Ford F53 chassis (built especially for a Class A motorhome) there are about 100 different options for various front and rear GAWR (Axle rating) combinations, different springs, track bars, and even frame materials.

My guess is that Thor is not ordering the correct options on the chassis Whether this might be because of cost cutting, lack of engineering skill, or some other reason is anybody's guess.

Or they even using the F53? Ford offers 4 different stripped chassis models, including a E350 and E450.

The more and more I dig into my rig, I keep discovering shoddy work, poor design, and shortcuts that just make me all the more skeptical about just how much forethought and quality goes into these things.

I can't believe that the NTSB has not looked at such things from a class perspective, given the apparent long term history, but perhaps RVs are exempt from NTSB scrutiny.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: California
THOR #791
I hear ya! We have a 2014 Hurricane 32A. It's tough to keep on the road... I have to micromanage the steering wheel to keep it in the lane. I complained about the wondering and got the alignment re-done. No change.
After we get to where we are going I am tuckered out and need a nap. I enjoy driving but c'mon.....
Old 05-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
I understand where you guys are coming from. However if it was me I would not bring that problem to CW or the normal Ford dealer. The first stop would be a large truck alignment shop that work on the big rigs. These guys know what to look at and might have a good idea of where to go.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #12

Model: 2013 WINDSPORT 34E
State: Oklahoma
THOR #478
i was thinking about adding coil over shocks or air bags on the rear to help with stabilizing
Old 07-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #957
Same Problem

Get the front end aligned
The chassis manufacture does not do it nor does Thor.
I went thru the front Goodyears in 4600 mile with inside BALD!!
Mine (Serrono 34m) "bran-new" was 1 1/2 inches out at the 19.5 inch rims
Next get a Davis Track Bar in the front (at least) and I have a
Henderson Supersteer rear track bar as well.
I was 60 years old and with only hand tools when I put these on myself.
Now I don`t even know there passing me if I don`t look in the
side mirrors !!!!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
Went through the same issues with my 2014 Thor ACE 29.2. Had the front end aligned (toe was bad) and the handling was significantly better. Thor is paying for the alignment. Also had a Bilstein front stabilizer installed. My Thor is now a pleasure to drive and my wife also drives it from time to time.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #15
RTG

State: Massachusetts
THOR #760
We have a 2014 windsport and had the same problem with being pushed around by semis & cars. We installed both front and rear stabilizer / sway bars (not sure which ones ) which helped alot but adjusting the tire pressure from 100 down to 80 really helped. i dont notice semi's passing while driving 60 - 65mph . I did have trouble on a windy day at 60.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #16

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
My class C is the first and only MH I have driven.
I had read all sorts of reports cliaming that a down side of a class c when compared to an A was this sort of semi push.

So far, I will say that I notice it a bit when a semi passes or if i pass a semi. It pushes but not what I would call an extremem problem in my case
I have also driven on a windy day and going across a bridge or two thinking that DW sure wouldn't be driving now! It was an eye opener for sure, but possible to handle.
Still, i was wondering about these stabilizers and such....
and also thinking I should get the alignment checked.....
I find it it sad(but not all that suprising) that Thor doesn't align them as they leave the factory. They have to know that the weight they add to a chassis will affect it! (at least I've read that it does)
Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #17

Model: 2013 WINDSPORT 34E
State: Oklahoma
THOR #478
i added the air lift air bages to my 2013 thor windsport 34e and can now drive the interstate at 70 mph, i also have the front stabilizer towing a 01 nissan pathfinder
9 mpg
Old 07-21-2014, 11:37 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
My class C is the first and only MH I have driven.
I had read all sorts of reports cliaming that a down side of a class c when compared to an A was this sort of semi push.

So far, I will say that I notice it a bit when a semi passes or if i pass a semi. It pushes but not what I would call an extremem problem in my case
I have also driven on a windy day and going across a bridge or two thinking that DW sure wouldn't be driving now! It was an eye opener for sure, but possible to handle.
Still, i was wondering about these stabilizers and such....
and also thinking I should get the alignment checked.....
I find it it sad(but not all that suprising) that Thor doesn't align them as they leave the factory. They have to know that the weight they add to a chassis will affect it! (at least I've read that it does)
I think you will find that for class Cs, many people report that heavy duty sway bars will help alot.

I'm likely to install a set of Hellwig heavy duty sway bars, but the wander has not yet been severe enough to make it a priority.

On a non-windy day, the moho handles quite well at highway, even with a passing semi. But in a cross-wind, it begins to act a bit squirrely, but nothing too severe. I have more fear of cross-wind gusts than passing semis.

But I also drive at 60mph tops.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:18 AM   #19

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
yep, that echoes my experiece so far.... more concern with the cross wind than the semis..... but even that so far is minor.....I've driven mine up to maybe 75 or so with no ill experience...... but try to keep it 65 or so, or slower with speed limit of course.....
Even still, i'll probably go for an alignment soon just to be safe to preserve my tires....
Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
While I have posted this in the same topic I can not stress enough how important it is to take your rig to a front end shop that does alignments on trucks and have it checked. I know my brand new Hurricane 27K is way out just looking at the scuffing on the tires, along with the fact it handles like crap. It sat at a Ford dealer for 3 weeks because of my handling and vibration complaint as soon as we got it, and they test drove it and said it had "usual handling characteristics" and charged me $120 for their advice! ( no warranty as they did "not" find a problem.. When I took it to the tire dealer they found 2 out of round tires and a out of round wheel, so I have plenty of work ahead of me getting these things warrantied. And the local front end shop will be doing an alignment in a couple days, even though I asked the Ford dealer to do it while they had it. Not sure why they did not.