Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2017, 01:57 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
What is the cost of Safety plus stabilizer? We just purchased a new Thor 2017 26HE.

We have not used it yet. Still in the process of dressing it out.

Thanks in advance, Jere and Donna, Charleston SC
Dearhunter, you can spend as little as $450 plus the install kit price for a do-it-yourself install, or you can have a RV facilities put it on, or if you are in the Atlanta area the factory will sell it and install while you wait, for between $580 and $628, depending on which model you need and which install kit.

I was going to self install but since we are going that way in a few weeks I decided to let the experts who make the thing install it.

US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:09 AM   #42

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
What is the cost of Safety plus stabilizer? We just purchased a new Thor 2017 26HE.

We have not used it yet. Still in the process of dressing it out.

Thanks in advance, Jere and Donna, Charleston SC
Since you don't live to far, I would go to the factory, free install and you know it's done right!
Old 04-04-2017, 03:28 AM   #43

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
Any steering dampener is going to improve your ride. That being said, I have the Safe T Plus and that along with an alignment and Cheap Handling Fix (CHF) improved my ride dramatically. The biggest benefit of the Safe T Plus is one that you hope you will not need and that is a front tire blow out. That safety benefit and the life time warranty is more than enough of a seller for me but yes, it does work... very well.

Exactly correct!
Old 04-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #44

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
For the E450 you can purchase the Safe-T-Plus INCLUDING the installation bracket on Amazon for $380. Self install seems realistic for many people.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:06 PM   #45

State: North Carolina
THOR #4256
I'll add to this thread, if it's OK. We have a 2016 Freedom Elite 23H and we're pretty happy with it overall. A couple of issues, but I'll address those later. But as to the addition of a steering stabilizer, I'll say it has made quite a difference to us. It wasn't a bad driving coach before, but not we hardly feel big rigs or buses go by, and when we get hit by a gust from the side, it's not really noticeable.

We were a little leery about it, so we didn't go with the higher-priced mod, but instead we bought a Roadmaster RSSA from Amazon ($291 + the bracket). I installed it myself - easy - and then took the coach to Ford for an alignment. Both together (or one or the other - I'm not a smart man) made the coach drive able with two fingertips. Glad we did it.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #46

Model: Venetian
State: Texas
THOR #3485
Mounting Kit for Venetian

I bought a 2017 Venetian in February and want to add a safe-t-plus steering controller. Does anyone know what mounting kit it takes? It is on a Freightliner XC-R chassis.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #47

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowplug View Post
I bought a 2017 Venetian in February and want to add a safe-t-plus steering controller. Does anyone know what mounting kit it takes? It is on a Freightliner XC-R chassis.
If you go to the Safe-T-Plus website they have a fitment chart that will show what you need, or you can give them a call at 800-872-7233. Nice people and will be happy to help you!
Old 04-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #48

Model: Venetian
State: Texas
THOR #3485
Safe-T-Plus Mounting Kit for Venetian

SuperD,

I did go to safe-t-plus website but they don't list Thor Venetian on their mounting kit chart. I also called them and they still could not help. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #49

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowplug View Post
SuperD,

I did go to safe-t-plus website but they don't list Thor Venetian on their mounting kit chart. I also called them and they still could not help. Any other suggestions?
It won't be listed under Thor, you have to look at the Freightliner chassis section since that's what your coach is built on. I apologize, I should have made note of that before.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #50

Model: Outlaw 38RE
State: Ohio
THOR #7022
By adding the stabilizer does this void the ford factory warranty?
Old 04-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #51

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcac View Post
By adding the stabilizer does this void the ford factory warranty?
No, it won't.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:12 PM   #52

Model: Outlaw 38RE
State: Ohio
THOR #7022
Thanks, I may add one of these.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #53

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcac View Post
Thanks, I may add one of these.
You might also want to read up on CHF (cheap handling fix). The CHF mod will make a HUGE difference in how your coach drives. Easy to do, costs nothing, and only involves about 1-2 hours of your time.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #54
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Remind me what the CHF details, please....
and ... regarding rear stability...
I had a recommendation of air bags for the rear of of our 2016 Axis 24.1
...has anyone looked into this fix ?
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #55

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Remind me what the CHF details, please....
and ... regarding rear stability...
I had a recommendation of air bags for the rear of of our 2016 Axis 24.1
...has anyone looked into this fix ?
Here is how I did it:

Front Sway Bar:
You will need a 18mm socket, 15mm wrench, 100lbs torque wrench, hand jack, thread locker blue, and maybe a hammer. Make sure your jacks are up and that you are on level ground. Loosen the bolts and remove them from the SB. Don't worry about getting hit by anything as there isn't any tension in the SB. Try to position the bars into the inner hole. In my case, I was on very level ground and was able to slide the bolts into the inner holes with very little effort. I put thread locker on the nuts and tightened them back up to about 68lbs of torque. I think 66lbs is required but I am an overachiever. That is it, all done.

Rear Sway Bar:
You will need the same tools. For the rear, you will see that both holes are used. Is all you have to do is remove the bolts and reverse them. The rear SB was a little tight so I had to use a hammer knock the bolt back for it to come out. Once they were all out, I tried to line up the bolts in reverse order. In my case, I noticed that one was lower to the ground so I saved that one for last. I put the bolts in the opposite side then I needed the hand jack to raise the SB up a little for the bolt to align. Once all the bolts were in, I put thread locker on the nut and tightened it back down to 68lbs torque.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:44 PM   #56
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0 View Post
here is how i did it:

Front sway bar:
You will need a 18mm socket, 15mm wrench, 100lbs torque wrench, hand jack, thread locker blue, and maybe a hammer. Make sure your jacks are up and that you are on level ground. Loosen the bolts and remove them from the sb. Don't worry about getting hit by anything as there isn't any tension in the sb. Try to position the bars into the inner hole. In my case, i was on very level ground and was able to slide the bolts into the inner holes with very little effort. I put thread locker on the nuts and tightened them back up to about 68lbs of torque. I think 66lbs is required but i am an overachiever. That is it, all done.

Rear sway bar:
You will need the same tools. For the rear, you will see that both holes are used. Is all you have to do is remove the bolts and reverse them. The rear sb was a little tight so i had to use a hammer knock the bolt back for it to come out. Once they were all out, i tried to line up the bolts in reverse order. In my case, i noticed that one was lower to the ground so i saved that one for last. I put the bolts in the opposite side then i needed the hand jack to raise the sb up a little for the bolt to align. Once all the bolts were in, i put thread locker on the nut and tightened it back down to 68lbs torque.
thank you !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #57

THOR #5196
CHF is only for F53 chassis.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #58
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by superd View Post
chf is only for f53 chassis.
thankyou !! Good to know !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-11-2017, 12:21 AM   #59

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
Smoother ride

Does anyone have any experience with the Sulastic rubber shackle for a smoother ride ?
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2017, 12:24 AM   #60

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I put one on my Vegas, big improvement and could drive down the highway with one hand.
I have a new Windsport coming in this month and the first mod I will do is the Safe T Plus. The second mod will be Sumo Springs. The combination made driving much more enjoyable.

Kev
I have a 2017 Vegas 24.1. Can't keep it centered in the lane going down the interstate without constant adjustment. Is that the situation you had?

I've had it aligned properly at a well respected truck/RV alignment center and they made it a lot better but still hard to keep it in track.

It surprised me to find out it already had a stabilizer from the factory. Did yours come with a factory unit that was replaced with the Safety T Plus?