RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2017, 01:38 AM   #61
Member
 
Felices30.2's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Texas
Posts: 75
THOR #6917
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
I have a 2017 Vegas 24.1. Can't keep it centered in the lane going down the interstate without constant adjustment. Is that the situation you had?

I've had it aligned properly at a well respected truck/RV alignment center and they made it a lot better but still hard to keep it in track.

It surprised me to find out it already had a stabilizer from the factory. Did yours come with a factory unit that was replaced with the Safety T Plus?


I did not have a factory stabilizer but have heard others and they recommend to replace
__________________

__________________
Felices30.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:42 AM   #62
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,134
THOR #3510
Our 2016 24.1 has the factory stabilizer....I am installing the SumoSprings .. will see if they make a difference ... will do the SafetyPlus if needed.
I am considering replacing the bump stop on the back with the SumoSolo...
has anyone done this application on the rear, rather than the frame mount SumoSpring ?
__________________

__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
JoeDS's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Tennessee
Posts: 272
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Our 2016 24.1 has the factory stabilizer....I am installing the SumoSprings .. will see if they make a difference ... will do the SafetyPlus if needed.
I am considering replacing the bump stop on the back with the SumoSolo...
has anyone done this application on the rear, rather than the frame mount SumoSpring ?
I have not done this on my Vegas but I did do it on my Dodge 3500 that I carry a BigFoot camper in. Super easy on it. Just removed the bump stops and installed the Sumos in the same mount.

Haven't used my Vegas much at all yet. But big trip planned this summer. Have you found the factory suspension too soft that it bottoms out a lot on the bump stop?
__________________
JoeDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #64
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,134
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
I have not done this on my Vegas but I did do it on my Dodge 3500 that I carry a BigFoot camper in. Super easy on it. Just removed the bump stops and installed the Sumos in the same mount.

Haven't used my Vegas much at all yet. But big trip planned this summer. Have you found the factory suspension too soft that it bottoms out a lot on the bump stop?
This is Kay ... Ron says that he is thinking about the Sumos on the rear to tighten it up a bit .. rather than replacing the sway bar with a bigger bar.

He is open to any suggestions.
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:21 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
TyCreek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
Posts: 532
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
This is Kay ... Ron says that he is thinking about the Sumos on the rear to tighten it up a bit .. rather than replacing the sway bar with a bigger bar.

He is open to any suggestions.
I suggest directly addressing the looseness or whatever the "tighten it up a bit" feeling is that's being described.

Sort of sounds like the job of a trac bar but I'm not the one behind the wheel.

Adding spring rate with sumo's will make the ride that much rougher and the additional axel to frame contact will reduce axel shift in a small sort of way. Also, somewhat like a swaybar the increased spring rate will reduce "some" body roll tendency. However a higher torque swaybar will reduce body roll better because it transfers spring rate vs. simply pushing up. The negative for body roll with sumo or air bags is they continue to push up on the side you need to be pulled down as a swaybar would do.

Sumo, Timbren, air bags and the like, are best used to address/aid heavy or overloaded conditions, so if your need to "tighten up" is from max loaded behavior, then sumo's are a good cheap helper.

Have you weighed your rig yet?
__________________
Axis 24.2 "was" tug'n a JK
TyCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #66
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,134
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
I suggest directly addressing the looseness or whatever the "tighten it up a bit" feeling is that's being described.


Have you weighed your rig yet?
Thanks Ty .... have you done anything to the rear of your coach ? Ron is not sure he wants/needs to do anything ... we do not have a weight problem...he is just looking for the best ride possible. He has read all the threads and is weighing his options.
As you all know, by now...he is not the communicator on this forum... I am just the messenger !!
Happy Day...and thanks for all the help and suggestions during the past year !

Kay
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:51 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
TyCreek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
Posts: 532
THOR #1944
Yes Kay, I put on a trac-bar to address the axel shift (tail wag) I felt. A heavy bobbly Jeep toad amplifies this behavior especially in the wind.

The biggest handling improvement however was when I finally found a guy that knew alignments well and he maxed out the caster for my rig. He also tuned it for the secondary highways we most often travel called a "Cross-camber/Cross-caster" alignment.

I've done nothing else to our current Axis and really don't feel the need. Especially since we have a history of changing our RV style every few years. Though to be picky like I tend to be ... My rig is nose heavy and is raked to the front lower than optimal chassis design so to address the remaining handling characteristics I would need to add HD sumo or air bags to the front or "truly fix it" with properly tuned replacement springs.

Typically handling improvements/add-ons/etc... come at the sacrifice of other behaviors. Increasing torque of spring rate transfer side to side in an RV with swaybars really only has a downside if you travel dirt or very rough uneven roads. A proper trac-bar or whatever name you want to use also has little downside as the shift isolation far outweighs the minuscule arc shift it theoretically imposes. This should be OEM IMO... I've had a few previous chassis with OEM trac-bar or was added by the RV builder.

The thread title here is steering stabilizers and while they don't actually fix a chassis handling behavior ... they do fix the driver quite nicely and most will like the relaxing feel of the road isolation they can provide. Enough so that as is seen by numerous threads, they get a strong following that lead people to believe they fix the RV somehow. I've used several of these in the past and would certainly consider doing so again. The key here is that they can mask or make it difficult to pinpoint chassis behaviors so to best diagnose actual chassis handling characteristics while driving a rig, they should be removed/disconnected for the exercise.
__________________
Axis 24.2 "was" tug'n a JK
TyCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:24 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
Posts: 157
THOR #2542
[QUOTE=Pete'sMH;62625]I too have noticed all of the positive reviews of the Safe-T-Plus on this and other forums. When I made an appointment to have my 26 ft Freedom Elite aligned at a local truck service center I asked for an opinion. Owner advised against it even though he'd be happy to sell me one. He said the failure rate is significant and he has removed several. His opinion seems to be that Ford has a good product and it can be driven safely as is. I'm not sure I'm convinced but I think his recommendation has some credibility given that he is in business to sell stuff! We are going on a 4000 mile trip to the Grand Canyon next month and I'll see how that goes in the western wind. If it's nasty I'll certainly give it a try.[/

And please post your experience following your return.
__________________
Rick Norris
Norrirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:11 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
Posts: 1,365
THOR #3483
[QUOTE=Norrirn;64595]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I too have noticed all of the positive reviews of the Safe-T-Plus on this and other forums. When I made an appointment to have my 26 ft Freedom Elite aligned at a local truck service center I asked for an opinion. Owner advised against it even though he'd be happy to sell me one. He said the failure rate is significant and he has removed several. His opinion seems to be that Ford has a good product and it can be driven safely as is. I'm not sure I'm convinced but I think his recommendation has some credibility given that he is in business to sell stuff! We are going on a 4000 mile trip to the Grand Canyon next month and I'll see how that goes in the western wind. If it's nasty I'll certainly give it a try.[/

And please post your experience following your return.
His comment about the failure rate is of interest to me.... based on his personal experience of those he has installed? They do have a lifetime guarantee, but, that comment of his seems highly suspect. On a different note, I am beginning to believe that some of these service centers really don't want to make any modifications.
__________________
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:55 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
Hudsoner's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
Posts: 248
THOR #5756
[QUOTE=axis earl;64600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrirn View Post
His comment about the failure rate is of interest to me.... based on his personal experience of those he has installed? They do have a lifetime guarantee, but, that comment of his seems highly suspect. On a different note, I am beginning to believe that some of these service centers really don't want to make any modifications.
I agree with you. My son is a certified master mechanic with the largest ford Dealer in the state, he is also Hunter certified as alignment specialist.
He is all for a steering stabilizer (and will install one in my unit).
He might have more experience with those devises than the above mentioned technician/owner. He definitely sees more vehicles with them installed than most other mechanics with smaller shops will.
__________________
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:07 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
Posts: 1,032
THOR #1020
Our Challenger handled very well prior to installing the Roadmaster steering stabilizer. Installed the stabilizer to help in the event of a blowout and it seems to have helped the overall handling.

The original comment that the dealer made simply confirms our experience - it isn't hard to know more than the folks selling the RVs.
__________________
US Army Retired - Loving The Road Trip
Challenger 37TB
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,948
THOR #2121
[QUOTE=axis earl;64600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrirn View Post
His comment about the failure rate is of interest to me.... based on his personal experience of those he has installed? They do have a lifetime guarantee, but, that comment of his seems highly suspect. On a different note, I am beginning to believe that some of these service centers really don't want to make any modifications.
If there are any failures at all, I'd be far more interested in knowing what the failure mode is, and what the consequences of such a failure are. That they have a lifetime guarantee would be inconsequential by comparison.


Regarding suspension upgrades/modifications, service centers may be hesitant to make "improvements" due to liability. Or maybe they honestly feel they shouldn't give people what they want just because they ask for it. Owners often "improve" on OEM handling by installing thicker/stiffer sway bars, but do they actually understand how that will affect understeering or oversteering? Or how it helps twist the chassis to a greater degree? Some probably have no clue.

I know Ford takes this stuff seriously because they use a slightly different sway bar size to reduce oversteering on some models that are prone to it. If a shop added heavier sway bars that caused excessive oversteering, which then led to an accident, would they be partially liable?
__________________
Chance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
Posts: 809
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Our Challenger handled very well prior to installing the Roadmaster steering stabilizer. Installed the stabilizer to help in the event of a blowout and it seems to have helped the overall handling.

The original comment that the dealer made simply confirms our experience - it isn't hard to know more than the folks selling the RVs.
Ben, I totally agree with this statement! Just about anyone with credit and a bank willing to back them can become an RV dealer. They may not even know what "RV" stands for, let alone how to fix one or service an owner's needs. I seek information out from other experienced RVers long before I would consider stopping in and asking a dealer.
__________________
Full Time in 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369
pulling a 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper/Harley/Kayak)
(traded 2014 Thor Challenger)
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
Posts: 1,032
THOR #1020
👍 absolutely Joe
__________________
US Army Retired - Loving The Road Trip
Challenger 37TB
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
TyCreek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
Posts: 532
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

If there are any failures at all, I'd be far more interested in knowing what the failure mode is, and what the consequences of such a failure are. That they have a lifetime guarantee would be inconsequential by comparison.


Regarding suspension upgrades/modifications, service centers may be hesitant to make "improvements" due to liability. Or maybe they honestly feel they shouldn't give people what they want just because they ask for it. Owners often "improve" on OEM handling by installing thicker/stiffer sway bars, but do they actually understand how that will affect understeering or oversteering? Or how it helps twist the chassis to a greater degree? Some probably have no clue.

I know Ford takes this stuff seriously because they use a slightly different sway bar size to reduce oversteering on some models that are prone to it. If a shop added heavier sway bars that caused excessive oversteering, which then led to an accident, would they be partially liable?
I seriously doubt under/over steer or frame twist is of any factorable difference with the bar choices we have in the context of typical RV use. Certainly other vehicle forum types it could be.

Only a few of us that venture down dirt roads often would experience occasional negative effects from increasing the torque of spring rate transfer on a RV. On the wild idea of racing RVs, you'd for sure have to go totally custom to increase bar torque well past what is commercially available in RV chassis application selections before under/over steer tuning would make much difference.
__________________
Axis 24.2 "was" tug'n a JK
TyCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #76
Max
Member
 
Max's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 65
THOR #6984
ST Plus stabilizer

I have read how installing this piece of equipment will give a better ride as far as swaying of my Thor Ace . Who does the installment? I see them for sale on amazon. How do you know which product is right for your motorcoach?
__________________
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #77
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Washington
Posts: 13
THOR #7072
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiavb View Post
I asked my rv dealer about the installation of a steering stabilizer for my Miramar. Thinking the Safe-T-Plus type stabilizer would be helpful. He stated they don't work. Anyone have any experience with this type stabilizer?
I know I'm late to the party here, but I have a 34' Class C. It wandered a bit until I installed the Safe-T-Plus. I love it. Your Service guy is nuts!
__________________
BlackJeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
Posts: 809
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJeep22 View Post
I know I'm late to the party here, but I have a 34' Class C. It wandered a bit until I installed the Safe-T-Plus. I love it. Your Service guy is nuts!
Very well said. Everyone can debate how adding a Safe-T may or may not work, and how it may or may not work.....blah blah blah....., the only ones I take seriously on this subject before I spend $600 is the ones that have actually put one on and know what the results are.
__________________
Full Time in 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369
pulling a 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper/Harley/Kayak)
(traded 2014 Thor Challenger)
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,692
THOR #5196
Anyone who says a Safe T Plus doesn't work is a DA and doesn't know what they are talking about. Millions of miles in the trucking and Rv industry have proven the benefits of the Safe T Plus!
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
Posts: 1,365
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Anyone who says a Safe T Plus doesn't work is a DA and doesn't know what they are talking about. Millions of miles in the trucking and Rv industry have proven the benefits of the Safe T Plus!
SuperD,
You say it the way I wanted to. I have said before, whether it is a person's personal choice about a Class A, B, C or 5er.... Whatever works for you and you like it... good. I personally am getting to the point that the more complicated applications may not be worth it if they cause me heartburn. The Saf-T-Plus isn't one of those and I like what it did positively for my driving. As far as what a service person says, I think they are like the medical profession (no disrespect meant) in that there can be many different opinions and somewhere in there, something will work for you.
__________________

__________________
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×