Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #6291
Steering Stabilizer

I asked my rv dealer about the installation of a steering stabilizer for my Miramar. Thinking the Safe-T-Plus type stabilizer would be helpful. He stated they don't work. Anyone have any experience with this type stabilizer?

Old 03-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiavb View Post
I asked my rv dealer about the installation of a steering stabilizer for my Miramar. Thinking the Safe-T-Plus type stabilizer would be helpful. He stated they don't work. Anyone have any experience with this type stabilizer?
I seriously question your dealer's comment! I did a decent amount of research on it over the past several months before having mine installed recently. There are many, many positive reviews across all of the various camping forums; as well as on Amazon.com. I immediately noticed a dramatic improvement in steering after mine was installed.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
I put one on my Vegas, big improvement and could drive down the highway with one hand.
I have a new Windsport coming in this month and the first mod I will do is the Safe T Plus. The second mod will be Sumo Springs. The combination made driving much more enjoyable.

Kev
Old 03-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
I think your dealer has no idea about technology and a lot of that!
Just simple physics should tell you that a steering stabilizer will help, at least to define a center position of the steering system. Recirculating ball steering racks do not have a defined center position, a steering stabilizer (or the steer safe system) will create such a on center feel.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #5

State: Montana
THOR #4791
Works as advertised. Safety Plus and a front end alignment together.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
I think your dealer has no idea about technology and a lot of that!
Just simple physics should tell you that a steering stabilizer will help, at least to define a center position of the steering system. Recirculating ball steering racks do not have a defined center position, a steering stabilizer (or the steer safe system) will create such a on center feel.
At first glance, it sounds like your service person either isn't interested in making money, doesn't have a way to order the various stabilizers or just isn't into suspension technology. These are truck chassis made for many different applications, not just RVs. There are many items on the market that will help your driving experience and a stabilizer such as the Saf-T-Plus is worth every penny to me on our Axis 24.1. You might want to find another service center and get another opinion. You will find almost all the comments in this forum are positive about suspension upgrades.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #6291
Thanks to everyone for their responses.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #8

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
Is there any OEM motorhome that is good enough stock that an aftermarket mod will not be noticed? I don't have enough seat time on enough vehicles to know what I may be missing, but I don't get feel like I am disconnected from the vehicle while driving. What am I missing?
Old 03-02-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana mike View Post
Works as advertised. Safety Plus and a front end alignment together.
I agree Mike I should have listed alignment first and stabilizer as the second thing I would do.

Kev
Old 03-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #10
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Read the recent post on this form
Safety Plus, Austell, GA ... I think it was posted today .
this sums it up, pretty well.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:34 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
Is there any OEM motorhome that is good enough stock that an aftermarket mod will not be noticed? I don't have enough seat time on enough vehicles to know what I may be missing, but I don't get feel like I am disconnected from the vehicle while driving. What am I missing?
The best handling motorhomes from the factory are likely Class Bs (based on owner feedback I've read), particularly those built on FWD ProMaster chassis. While researching the subject, I've never run across anyone who felt "upgrading" the chassis was necessary (except for minor preferences). They are low and wide, and with low center of gravity. Additionally, they have modern independent front suspension much like that of a car or SUV. The rear suspension may be a solid beam, but because of very light mass it apparently tracks the road well.

I personally believe that great handling is a low consideration when many large Class A or C motorhomes are designed.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:33 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Steering Stabilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post

Newmar's "Comfort Drive Steering" is essentially an OEM version of the BlueOx Tru Center with on the fly centering capability. You would not be able to mount an aftermarket unit without removing the OEM unit that does the same thing.

However, adding a centering device, (actually a different contraption than the common stabilizer), can be easily performed on any Motorhome chassis, gas or diesel, (and will cost much less than a Newmar with its OEM system, and perform identically).
Old 03-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #13

State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Any steering dampener is going to improve your ride. That being said, I have the Safe T Plus and that along with an alignment and Cheap Handling Fix (CHF) improved my ride dramatically. The biggest benefit of the Safe T Plus is one that you hope you will not need and that is a front tire blow out. That safety benefit and the life time warranty is more than enough of a seller for me but yes, it does work... very well.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:40 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I have had four motor homes in 30 years of RVing and have not found that any kind of steering stabilization has been necessary. I drive it knowing that it has limitations on stability, so driving slower, staying alert, and using the steering wheel to correct for wandering in crosswinds are all part of driving a big top-heavy box.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:25 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I have had four motor homes in 30 years of RVing and have not found that any kind of steering stabilization has been necessary. I drive it knowing that it has limitations on stability, so driving slower, staying alert, and using the steering wheel to correct for wandering in crosswinds are all part of driving a big top-heavy box.
You're probably in the majority. My guess is that most motorhomes are driven without steering or suspension equipment upgrades (not including alignment or tire pressure as an upgrade).

Just like reporting other problems, there is likely an internet reporting bias in that those who drive stock motorhomes don't often report not doing upgrades.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:43 PM   #16

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
We had a Safety-T-Plus installed Monday(3-6-17) and could tell a huge difference in handling as soon as I backed it out the door. Swaying was reduced as well as not being pushed sideways when being passed by a semi. I highly recommend it!!
Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 AM   #17

Model: 34.2 Miramar
THOR #6847
Quote:
On the Safe-T-Plus web site it says "See Ford" for the part number/fit on the F53 chassis. If that is the case then what is the part number every is using? This would include the Challenger, Hurricane, Windsport. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #18

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPokey View Post
On the Safe-T-Plus web site it says "See Ford" for the part number/fit on the F53 chassis. If that is the case then what is the part number every is using? This would include the Challenger, Hurricane, Windsport. Thanks.
I want to get mine ordered in the next couple of weeks. I had an estimate from a CW up in Alabama last year and they listed a parts number for the actual Safe-T plus an installation kit number. I am just planning on calling Safe-T with all the information on my coach and talking to them about what to order.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:25 AM   #19

Model: ACE 30.2
THOR #6917
I just installed my Safe-T-Plus today and completed the CHF. Oh my GOSH! I am now a happy RV driver. When I got the unit a week ago, drove home 3 hours from dealer, white knuckle driving all the way. I thought, "what have I done"! There was no way I could do that and enjoy the RV. Immediately got online and found this Forum.

I test drove today and didn't want to stop driving. Experience was amazing!
Old 04-02-2017, 02:42 AM   #20

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
I just picked up my Axis 25.2 yesterday and have been following these threads regarding the Safe-T-Plus. I noticed that the steering wheel on my coach isn't "centered" for lack of a better description. Instead of the part with the Ford logo being basically horizontal it's positioned on an angle, more like 2o'clock to 4 o'clock .Does that make any sense at all!
Would the Safe-T-Plus correct that problem or is that another issue?