Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2018, 11:00 PM   #21
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I-4 is a nightmare now. That is where my windshield on the Vegas got cracked.
We do the same when camping up in the Ocala area. Longer ride but much less stressful. Glad you are ok.
Thank you .. we come down from K.C. area at least once a year to see family in Lakeland...we have come down about every country road from I-10 to Lakeland...and as you know...some are very sloooow ! We are headed that direction next week..and will stay a couple nights at Carabelle which will give us a bit of a different route down...and may cut across so we don't use I-4 !

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:14 PM   #22

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djrmar6 View Post
Hello, we are new at RVing. Just bought our first one in January. 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1. We've taken one long trip and a couple short. Short trips are Mostly to dealer for some warranty work. In reading this thread and from our few trips it seems we might need to install stabilizers. Can you give us an idea of cost. It looks like majority likes safe t plus. Any feed back greatly appreciated.

If I recall correctly I paid about $375 for my Safe T Plus with its installation kit for my E450 Class C. I installed it myself (easy) but I think I remember CW wanted about $350 to install. Perhaps a bit less if your alignment place will do it for you. I’m glad I purchased it but I didn’t personally see much change in handling. I installed a Roadmaster on my class A because it was cheaper and seemed to be more robustly made (to my uneducated eyes)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:59 AM   #23

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Louisiana
THOR #9620
If F53 chassis consider the sway bar adjustment and alignment first, I felt no need for stabilizer after sway bar adjustment (CHF). Huge improvement.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:57 AM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #12091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
Trying to decide whether to go with the Safety Plus or Road Master. Any input is appreciated thanks.

I installed the Roadmaster and it works great!
Old 06-25-2018, 03:02 AM   #25
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Thank you .. we come down from K.C. area at least once a year to see family in Lakeland...we have come down about every country road from I-10 to Lakeland...and as you know...some are very sloooow ! We are headed that direction next week..and will stay a couple nights at Carabelle which will give us a bit of a different route down...and may cut across so we don't use I-4 !
Sounds like a smart idea. BTW we live in Lakeland.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #26

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
FYI -- the Safe-T-Plus and its Roadmaster counterpart are primarily for safety should you encounter a blow out, etc. as these steering stabilizers assist steering/directional control when a front tire/wheel fails/goes off the road/hits significantly deteriorated road surface, etc.. It usually adds some stability to the coach, but not much. Proper tire pressure and alignment are a must for drivability and handling. If further improvements are desired, heavy duty front and rear sway bars would probably be next followed by SumoSprings or similar products. Make any improvements incrementally before going the next step as it may be unnecessary. Further, most all suspension related enhancements add weight, which should be taken into account as well. Note: the cheap handling fix (CHF) noted in these forums only apply to the Ford F53 chassis I believe.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:36 PM   #27
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
State: Michigan
THOR #11442
On my ACE 32.1 I went with the Roadmaster stabilizer, larger front swaybar and additional rear swaybar. Both steering tires have the Tyron system installed. It's much easier to control now.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:12 AM   #28

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Went with the Saf T Plus on my Hurricane. It improved the drivability on poor roads but on really bad roads I don't think it does anything.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #29
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Went with the Saf T Plus on my Hurricane. It improved the drivability on poor roads but on really bad roads I don't think it does anything.
I know you are on a different frame than our Axis .. however Sumo Springs makes a bump stop spring replacement for your frame...I have, only, replaced my bump stops with the Sumo, front and back...it greatly improved the handling and response to bumps and dips. If interested, go to the Sumo Spring website...not a reseller...they have a page on the site which tells you exactly, which spring you need for your unit. … and install info.

Ron n Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #30

THOR #11781
vkb, the sumos are my next upgrade.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #31

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Unlike the factory bump stops, are the Sumo Springs installed under pressure on them?
Old 07-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #32

State: Louisiana
THOR #10248
Installed the Safe T Plus on my 2018 Hurricane 29M. Noticeable difference in tracking on the interstate, definitely takes less effort to steer. Received the model numbers from Safe T Plus website, bought on Amazon.com.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #33

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
vkb, the sumos are my next upgrade.

So, I’ve been driving my 29 ft F53 class A for only about 4000 miles. I’ve installed a Roadmaster steering stabilizer for emergencies but I have no real complaints with handling. Our most recent trip included some really bad roads though and I’m thinking the ride could use some improvement! Sumos on all four corners is pretty salty. I gather y’all think it’s worth it though??
Old 07-03-2018, 11:28 PM   #34

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #12091
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
I know you are on a different frame than our Axis .. however Sumo Springs makes a bump stop spring replacement for your frame...I have, only, replaced my bump stops with the Sumo, front and back...it greatly improved the handling and response to bumps and dips. If interested, go to the Sumo Spring website...not a reseller...they have a page on the site which tells you exactly, which spring you need for your unit. … and install info.

Ron n Kay

Thanks for the info. So far I’m really happy with the handling improvements. The thing I like so much about the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer is that it tighten up the steering and tames the tendency to drift. It also helps to cut down on fatigue and white knuckling. That heavy duty spring is always trying to maintain its neutral position. I’ll read up on the Sumos and see if that’s something I want to do. Safe travels!
Old 07-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #35

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Missouri
THOR #12214
Just added the Roadmaster stabilizer and the Roadmaster front swaybar... very happy..took it on a 2100 mile trip and the wander and sway are alot less noticeable. Ordered the rear swaybar as well but it was on backorder from etrailer.com... hope to get it on before the next trip.

Generic question..is there a way to search the forum on exact models? I have an Ace 30.4..would love to see what others are asking so I dont ask the same questions.

thanks
Old 07-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
Unlike the factory bump stops, are the Sumo Springs installed under pressure on them?

The front is installed so that it is under a little pressure with the coach unloaded. If you load to five hundred pounds in each front spring, the Sumos will load about 2" and leave the coach about higher than without the Sumos. Super Springs sizes the Sumos for each coach's max gross weight so that the Sumos are about midway in their total travel when each axle is at its rated carrying load. About the same in the rear except the installer can vary the static loading of the rear Sumos by the way they are mounted. The front mounting is fixed. The increased spring rate does help with sway. The Sumos resist over extension with the same rate used in compression.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #37

State: British Columbia
THOR #10751
RoadMaster “all around” and then more!

He went with RoadMaster suspension (front and rear) and steering. On our Thor Hurricane 29M. It handles like a new machine!! We also added Sumosprings in the rear as we carry a Harley-Davidson on the back and needed the suspension boost. We are extremely pleased with the overall upgrade. The RV handles turns, winds and higher speeds with ease and stuff onboard stay put! Click image for larger version

Name:	30AF21F4-0F87-408C-A494-D26125ABAD2F.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	11267
Old 07-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #38

THOR #11043
Stabilizer envy

My greatest fear are those lousy trucks and the vacuum they create when they pass...and getting slammed into something. It's pure vehicular assault. I've been looking high and low for a steering stabilizer..no luck for MB Sprinter 3500. They aren't made since there's limited room I am going to install a Roadmaster sway bar stabilizer kit which will work in conjunction with the factory sway bar. Maybe a couple of Sumo stops. We'll see how that works out.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #39

THOR #7642
Heard goood things about Safety plus
Old 07-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #40

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arizona
THOR #6311
Better late than never. I purchased a Stearsafe made in New Mexico after a very bad trip in the wind. It was blowing when I went in for the install and it was still blowing when I left 1/2 hour later. The difference was day and night, I went in with white knuckles and was driving with one hand soon after leaving their garage.

Steersafe installed the unit at no extra charge and said anytime I came through Demming, NM stop in and they will inspect and readjust the unit if it needs it at no charge.

That was last year and my 2017 Vegas 25.2 is still handing beautiful this year. If you live near Demming you might want to check it out. The install is very simple but they'll do it at no extra charge.

I'm sure they all probably work about the same, good luck with what ever you buy it has to be an improvement from the standard Vegas handling.