RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
Posts: 4
THOR #3877
Question Steering v Sway, Front v Rear, Roadmaster v Safe T

Hi fellow Thor owners,

Just bought my coach in February and took my first trip last week.

I am planning to make some upgrades to improve the handling.

From what I have read:
Front-end alignment - a must do! (assuming $100)
Frontend Steering stabilizers - a good idea (assuming $500)
Rearend Sway control - the service station has recommended it (assuming $750)

I would love to hear from folks who have done all or some of these + any other ideas.

Thanks,
George (a.k.a. Loki, yes I am will Loki's Girls who are also on this forum)
__________________

__________________
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,042
THOR #1150
Yes the front end alignment is a must do. Ours was quite a bit out.
__________________

__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
Posts: 911
THOR #2271
I added rear end sway bars before I even drove my 25.2 the first time. This forum was the reason. And just that mod seemed to fix any issues. Try that for a while before spending the $500+ on the front end (Just my 2).
__________________
Added: HWH Kick-Down Leveler; RoadMaster Anti-sway bars; Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser; Accede Backup Sensor Kit; cylinder locks (w/one combo lock); custom sink cover; Kenwood DDX 5706S front radio; Pioneer MVH-X5560BT rear radio; Oxygenics Shower head; ScanGuage II; Blue Ox Tow Bar w/RVi Brake 2; Winegard Rayzar Automatic TV antenna; Trimark Steel door lock; Dometic 310 toilet; whatever is next.
gbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,756
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
....cut....

Rearend Sway control - the service station has recommended it (assuming $750)

I would love to hear from folks who have done all or some of these + any other ideas.

Thanks,
George (a.k.a. Loki, yes I am will Loki's Girls who are also on this forum)
I think your MH is an Axis 24.1, correct?

Assuming it's an E-Series chassis, Ford Specifications show you should already have a 28.6 MM (1-1/8-inch) sway bar in rear. I'd start by confirming it's there (it may be possible that Thor could delete it on special order, but seriously doubt it -- still worth checking). Assuming it's there, I'd ask the "service station" what exactly will they replace it with, and why. I'll predict they will want to make it stiffer (larger in diameter).
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
Posts: 608
THOR #2544
I had the dealer install front and rear sway bars and the total was closer to $3000, I installed the steering stabilizer myself and saved on installation. Not sure what model you have but if doing it again on my F53, I would add Sumo Springs to front and rear first, I have heard on another forum and and article in Motorhome Magazine that they really help and much cheaper. Then I would decide what to do next if anything. Here is a link to the Motorhome review:

http://www.supersprings.com/binders/...erSprings2.pdf
__________________
This post is opinion based on experience.
2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Sea Ray 220SD
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:37 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
Posts: 4
THOR #3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I think your MH is an Axis 24.1, correct?

Assuming it's an E-Series chassis, Ford Specifications show you should already have a 28.6 MM (1-1/8-inch) sway bar in rear. I'd start by confirming it's there (it may be possible that Thor could delete it on special order, but seriously doubt it -- still worth checking). Assuming it's there, I'd ask the "service station" what exactly will they replace it with, and why. I'll predict they will want to make it stiffer (larger in diameter).
Correct an Axis 24.1

I'll definitely check that out.

Thanks
__________________
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
Posts: 4
THOR #3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
I added rear end sway bars before I even drove my 25.2 the first time. This forum was the reason. And just that mod seemed to fix any issues. Try that for a while before spending the $500+ on the front end (Just my 2).
Hi - per another comment, the E series chassis should come with a 28.6 mm rear sway bar. Did you ungrade to a larger sway bay?

Thanks,
George
__________________

__________________
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×