Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #4955
Storage Compartments Issue

Hi, I have a little problem that is turning into a bigger one. We have a 2015 Thor Four Winds Super C. When it rains the rain water gets into the storage compartments and have to open the drains to get rid of it. It's not just a little water. Have been told there is nothing that can be done it's a poor design of the compartments. Is there something we can do to prevent this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. All of our stuff stored gets wet, mildew and moldy. Travelinglady

Old 07-28-2016, 10:46 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I am working on mine right now. Thor actually already replaced all of our main and wet bay floors this February, and now I am finding more water, especially after rainy travel, or a/c unit condensation runs down the side of the roof and over the bay door.
The bay doors are the problem, the design, specifically the contact between the door and the rubber seal on the door frame, is not adequate. The rubber 'bulb' seals are not large enough to provide enough contact full around the door frame, especially at the top of the doors.

I am using a large gray closed foam 'door and window seal' from the hardware store and replacing all of the door seals.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:47 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 35SK Super C
State: Missouri
THOR #711
One of my compartments allows rain water in as well. I haven't done anything yet (elbow surgery), but I will attempt to reposition the weather strip that goes around the door opening. I can see where a few inches of the rubber molding doesn't seal completely against the door. With the door closed, using a flashlight, inspect around the door gap and see where the seal may not be against the door.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:25 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Check joint/seam in rubber. All of my leaking problems resulted from large gap in the joint. Water ran down outside of gasket and into gasket hollow space at the joint. Then out air pressure holes to inside. Symptom is water inside gasket. Open door and push on gasket after rain. If water shoots out air holes try sealing the open space at the joint with some black electrical liquid rubber. Solved my problem.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:51 AM   #5

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
I had same issue on my coach. I purchased a roll of automotive "u" channel door
seals and it worked great, but my wife insisted on getting clear tubs from Home Depot as extra protection. I did an image search for u channel seals, and found what I was looking for. Spend $100 on a 100 ft roll.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
not sure if you have the same hardware as I do
but
I had my daughter crawl in one of my larger compartments early on.... she was small, adn the compartment was big so it was "FUN!"
Anyway, with her in there holding a flashlight I turned the hose on it.
Found that the water gets in past the little thumb latches and locks.

I never did really find an economical solution. I think it's more than even a lack of gaskets. The mechanism itself isn't weather proof.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I just can't get photos to upload easily.
anyway, they are like this one.
Camco Cam Lock - Straight or Offset - Thumb Operated - 5/8" Thick Camco Locks CAM44333

oh, I'll add that I did go get some rubber washers at the hardware store, but found that the doors with their foam core are just too compressible to snug the things up tight.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:31 AM   #8

Model: 25.2
State: Alaska
THOR #4999
Leaking Storage Compartments

Look closely at the joint gap between the body of the RV and outer ring of the compartment hatch. We just replaced seals on three of our compartments and had to re-caulk around the rims where the previous caulking had dried and cracked. Leaks gone...

Tags
storage compartments