Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5526
Battery Discharging Issue

I have a 2016 Axis 24.1 with 8000 miles on it. I've had it for about 6 months and have not had an engine battery discharge issue until yesterday. I had not started it for 6 weeKs. The house batteries are charged. I found the 100 amp breaker tripped?? and reset it. The battery was completely discharged - 3.5 volts. I tried the bypass switch on the panel with no success. I tried to plug it in to shore power but the converter did not charge the battery for the 30 minutes I watched it. I tried to boost the battery with my battery booster - it tried but not enough juice. Finally I used long heavy duty starting cables and used a house battery under the middle entry step and it started right up. I ran it for an hour and a half and the alternator seemed to charge the battery correctly. Today I'll check the battery to see if it's holding charge.

Has anyone had engine battery discharge issues with the Axis 24.1? I think it's something that's discharging it. Any idea's about what it may be? There's not much room above the engine battery but has any one installed a battery cut off switch, if so, what kind and wher was it installed?

Thanks. Sli22sli

Old 06-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
If you leave it for six weeks without disconnecting the starting battery from the coach or installing a trickle charger, there are enough parasitic loads that the starting battery will discharge down to a level where it will not start the coach. Just the nature if the beast. The same thing applies to the house batteries.

Use the search function above and there are lots of threads and posts on this subject and how to fix it. In addition you should download Ed Felker's Vegas/Axis manual.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yup installed disconnects on both batteries.
Engine battery:

Its a bit of a reach but I can snake my arm in and open up the knife pretty easily.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L

This is the link to Ed's manual
Old 06-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #5

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
Thanks for the manual forward! It could pertain to all RVs. Good material Ed!
Old 06-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #6

THOR #7701
I use a solar battery maintainer
Old 06-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #7

Model: Miramar 35.2
THOR #7232
We have a new ACE 29.4. I had the same issue. Had to jump the engine battery. Utility batteries were not able to turn the engine as they were drained also. I had to replace the engine battery as it would no longer hold a charge. I now make sure that the battery switch is on "store" instead of "use" since I rarely need to use the utility batteries. So far no further issues.

Tags
battery discharge