Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #4883
STORE/USE question

I am hopeful some can clear this up for me. We are new to the RV world and it is not clear to me when we should have our RV in the STORE mode. Also when we are camping and have full hook up (plugged into electric) do we have it in USE? or keep it in STORE mode. I am confused. A clear explanation would be very helpful.
Thank you in advance

Old 04-19-2017, 08:38 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Whenever you are in USE Ac power from the generator or shore power is provided to the converter. In the converter the AC is CONVERTED into DC and provides DC power to the coach DC circuits as well as providing current to the house batteries and chassis battery for charging. So your batteries will not charge if the switch is not in USE. Here is a general guideline:

Boondock Camping -- not hooked to shore power -- switch in USE to provide battery DC power to the coach circuits. Also allows batteries to be recharged when the generator is run. Needs to be in USE to provide starting DC current to generator.

Generator operation -- switch in USE. Needs to be in Use to provide starting current to start generator. Needs to stay in USE to recharge batteries and provide DC current to coach circuits.

Driving down road -- switch in USE so that charging current from engine driven alternator will recharge house batteries through the BIRD/Trumbetta circuitry.

Stored -- in STORE. This electronically disconnects the house batteries so they don't discharge. If you store and have shore power connected, then the switch should be in USE.

I compiled a Owners' Manual for Axis/Vegas that augments the Thor general manual. My manual provides lots of information on how the systems operate. It especially focuses on electrical issues. Don't know what model Thor you have; however, there should be info in my manual that will help you. Here is the link:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
as I understand it pretty much anytime you are using the camper it's "use".... the whole time on the road trip.

I would rather the switch do something like switch off everything except the fridge, and perhaps the roof vent fan
That way, if we are say on a trip and stop for half a day someplace, I could push that switch on the way out to be sure that nothing is on by mistake....switching off water pump, lights, etc... but I wouldn't want to switch off the fridge with my food in it...

When I actually store my unit, I have disconnect on the battery because I don't trust that it disconnects everything..... I'd rather have a positive disconnection rather than an actuated one to protect my battery
...... so that store switch as it is doesn't really do much for me.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #4

State: Oregon
THOR #4883
This seems straight forward enough. Lets see if I have this right. When we are not using the RV for awhile, we put it in STORE and don't need to have it plugged into power. If we do plug it into power we should have it in USE.

It sounds like any time we are using the RV it should be in USE. Correct?

We have a 2015 Thor ACE and I may look at your link you provided. Thank you
Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Whenever you are in USE Ac power from the generator or shore power is provided to the converter. In the converter the AC is CONVERTED into DC and provides DC power to the coach DC circuits as well as providing current to the house batteries and chassis battery for charging. So your batteries will not charge if the switch is not in USE. Here is a general guideline:

Boondock Camping -- not hooked to shore power -- switch in USE to provide battery DC power to the coach circuits. Also allows batteries to be recharged when the generator is run. Needs to be in USE to provide starting DC current to generator.

Generator operation -- switch in USE. Needs to be in Use to provide starting current to start generator. Needs to stay in USE to recharge batteries and provide DC current to coach circuits.

Driving down road -- switch in USE so that charging current from engine driven alternator will recharge house batteries through the BIRD/Trumbetta circuitry.

Stored -- in STORE. This electronically disconnects the house batteries so they don't discharge. If you store and have shore power connected, then the switch should be in USE.

I compiled a Owners' Manual for Axis/Vegas that augments the Thor general manual. My manual provides lots of information on how the systems operate. It especially focuses on electrical issues. Don't know what model Thor you have; however, there should be info in my manual that will help you. Here is the link:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
That's helpful for us newbies, thanks Ed!
Old 04-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #6

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio18366 View Post
This seems straight forward enough. Lets see if I have this right. When we are not using the RV for awhile, we put it in STORE and don't need to have it plugged into power. If we do plug it into power we should have it in USE.

It sounds like any time we are using the RV it should be in USE. Correct?

We have a 2015 Thor ACE and I may look at your link you provided. Thank you
yes, basically in use anytime you want to run lights, fridge, or anything else.... Food in the fridge, = "use"
parking and not going in for a while = "store"
Old 04-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #7

THOR #2601
The refrigerator in my 2015 Vegas stays pretty cold for quite a while after turning off the refrigerator. I don't worry about short periods with the power off because it stays cold so long.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
yes, basically in use anytime you want to run lights, fridge, or anything else.... Food in the fridge, = "use"
parking and not going in for a while = "store"
Just because I am too lazy to go see for myself...In the AXIS/VEGAS the refer is AC and gas....

So the store/use switch really would not have an effect on it, right? Not meaning to argue, just wanting to see if I was thinking right (that is something I have to question more and more as the years pile up)
Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike
Just because I am too lazy to go see for myself...In the AXIS/VEGAS the refer is AC and gas....

So the store/use switch really would not have an effect on it, right? Not meaning to argue, just wanting to see if I was thinking right (that is something I have to question more and more as the years pile up)
Refer is AC and 12V/gas--it needs 12V to run off gas (the controller board needs 12V). Thus if you are not plugged into 120V with no engine running and in "Store" the refer will not run.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:02 AM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I would add that even in the store position there is some parasitic drain on the batteries and they will go dead in a few days. Only true way to completely disconnect the batteries in to install a disconnect on the battery itself, cheap and available at most auto parts stores.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 AM   #11

THOR #2601
Agree with SuperD. Even in STORE there is parasitic decay out of the house batteries. When my 2015 Vegas 24.1 is in the storage yard, I check it about every 3 or 4 weeks. I check the level of house battery charge and if they are down one light on the monitor panel, I run the generator to top them off.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 04-20-2017, 01:04 AM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Refer is AC and 12V/gas--it needs 12V to run off gas (the controller board needs 12V). Thus if you are not plugged into 120V with no engine running and in "Store" the refer will not run.
Yup, forgot all about having to have 12v to make the gas work...

Been running it on AC, only used gas once to make sure it worked... Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:11 AM   #13

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
If its at all possible, its best, IMO to always store, connected to shore power. Keeping the batteries always charged will greatly extend their useful life, not to mention the frustration of going to your motor-home, and discovering its about as useful as a giant paperweight. If its impossible to plug in, where you store, consider acquiring a battery powered power station which you could plug into, and charge every week or so.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #14

THOR #6915
It appears that sometimes that when NOT hooked up, you might end up draining your battery using the radio, and you cannot start your vehicle. I added an additional battery next to the old one with much difficulty and put a switch in the cab so all you have to do is switch it on and it will have enough juice to start your RV, I will be posting this at Eric's Personal Insight Corner | From the Desk of Eric Kirkhuff, CEO YourHost.com so you can see what I did.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I don't think it's good practice keep the RV in "Store" mode when plugged into shore power. I inadvertently did that on an RV and noticed the 12 volt lights flickering when the water pump turned on. I suspect that the converter is working extra hard to maintain enough current and voltage for the lights, water pump, and other 12 volt requirements.

During long-term storage I do not connect the RV to shore power. I know it's convenient, but some converters are not sophisticated enough and will over charge the batteries. When storing I put the RV in "storage" and I have a disconnect on the coach batteries. I use two battery maintainers to keep the batteries in good condition.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #16

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
The way these Thor's are wired, plugging into shore power when stored with the use store switch in store defeats the purpose of connecting to shore power. On a Thor, that switch must in the use position, for the converter/inverter (if you have one) to charge and maintain the house batteries. On my previous coach, there was a 12 volt disconnect switch. Mattered not how that switch was set, inverter always charged house batteries when plugged in. Since I have 110 volts available where I store, I always store connected to shore power, with the switch in use.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #17
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Ron sez....in addition ... to find out if you are in USE OR STORE position...
push the battery test button on your panel ...
if it lights up you know you are in USE
if no lights appear you are in STORE
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:51 AM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #5673
I use shore power on my 2017 Thor Vegas when the rig is parked at home, sometimes for a month or two, thinking it was good to keep the batteries charged. Camping World told me that it was bad for the batteries and I should put it in store mode. Is CW right?
Old 01-27-2018, 10:36 AM   #19

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc9714 View Post
I use shore power on my 2017 Thor Vegas when the rig is parked at home, sometimes for a month or two, thinking it was good to keep the batteries charged. Camping World told me that it was bad for the batteries and I should put it in store mode. Is CW right?
Whoever the idiot was that told you that doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I think pretty much most of us leave our coaches plugged in 24/7 when not being used with no problems and leave switch in “use” position.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #20

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc9714 View Post
older converters as I understand it weren't that good. They weren't multistage chargers so if left plugged in whithout loads on them they could overcharge the batteries.
The charger in mine is, I believe, a three stage charger. It goes into a "float" mode once the battery is charged..... just to keep it there. It's not the best but it shouldn't harm the battery.

The only thing. If you leave it plugged in like that, be sure to check the water and top off as needed. It will tend to evaporate faster under constant charge. Every month is what I have seen suggested.....I'd bet you could get away checking on a 6 week basis, but you'll figure out your needs after a few months of checking.