Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2021, 09:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #5819
Stymied by tire, wheel issues

I have two questions for you, my friends, re: my 2013 Siesta on the Sprinter chassis
1) I have "ejected" two wheel covers in the last 5yr and have taken to zip-tying them to the wheels. I am frustrated in my inability to seat my latest new wheel cover on a rear wheel set (spring steel fingers to grip flange of outer wheel). Whack-a-mole isn't working. How do you do it?
2) Related to question #1. I would like to install a TPMS so I don't have to cut the zip ties, pry off the cover to check pressures. What system are you using that fits the wheel covers and saves you the worry and frustration of manually checking pressures?
BTW I am very happy with this RV otherwise.
Thanks for educating me.
Peter

Old 09-14-2021, 09:22 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013NHSiestaowner View Post
I have two questions for you, my friends, re: my 2013 Siesta on the Sprinter chassis
1) I have "ejected" two wheel covers in the last 5yr and have taken to zip-tying them to the wheels. I am frustrated in my inability to seat my latest new wheel cover on a rear wheel set (spring steel fingers to grip flange of outer wheel). Whack-a-mole isn't working. How do you do it?
2) Related to question #1. I would like to install a TPMS so I don't have to cut the zip ties, pry off the cover to check pressures. What system are you using that fits the wheel covers and saves you the worry and frustration of manually checking pressures?
BTW I am very happy with this RV otherwise.
Thanks for educating me.
Peter
I put on valve extenders. A lot cheaper than TPMS!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:25 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
I put on valve extenders. A lot cheaper than TPMS!
Valve extenders ARE NO WHERE NEAR the same as a TPMS system, but will agree they are cheaper.
To OP, I'd check a salvage yard for a set of aluminum dually truck wheels to replace your ones with hubcaps, may be cheaper than replacing the hubcaps, then there's no problem adding TPMS as long as they have steel valve stems.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:29 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Valve extenders ARE NO WHERE NEAR the same as a TPMS system, but will agree they are cheaper.
Didn't say they were. Just offering an alternative.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:16 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Can't really help with the wheel covers... I have a 2020 F-350 cutaway (class C) and I'm just really careful to get the covers secured using a rubber mallet - ESPECIALLY around where the weights are. They tend to keep the cover from laying flush against the wheel/rim. I haven't had any issues so far. I generally hold the center of the cover over the hub, then carefully work my way around the outer edge. I find holding the center fairly tight magically keeps the edges from popping off as you work around the wheel.

I just purchased a TireMinder i10 package... 10 total sensors... 4 for our Wrangler toad, 6 for the MH.

I haven't installed the motorhome sensors yet. I have steel valve stems. I added a short L shaped extension to the outside duallies, but the inner tires require a much longer straight extension. I am leery of leaving the long ones permanently installed because they would bang around with centrifugal forces. So I just use that extension only when adding air, then remove it.

The TPMS will make this process MUCH simpler... no more unnecessary removing the wheel cover, installing the extension, then checking the pressure - ONLY to find the pressure was okay!!

The TPMS will at least save me from that needless hassle. But if the tires are low, I still need to jump through all those hoops - PLUS remove the TPMS sensor. But I also have the added protection of tire blowouts, especially for the inner rear tires.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:35 PM   #6

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
Didn't say they were. Just offering an alternative.

Don't get it. TPMS and valve extenders are 2 completely different things for 2 different problems. Actually you can use both, a valve extender to be able to reach and install a TPMS sensor. I have and do. To be specific, I added the crossfire pressure equalization system and the RVi Tire Patrol TPMS.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote