Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #6007
Progressive surge ems on AC29.3 install

Just completed install of 50 amp Progressive EMS....pretty tedious install using hard to bend 6 gauge wire in under-the-bed electronics cabin that is super full of wiring and various boxes, fuse panels etc....probably spent over two hours.

Glad I did this in the morning as it was really getting warm in the coach w no AC.

I still haven't decided where to mount the remite LED...ootions seem 1) under the lip of the bed platform or 2) in the outdoor kitchen area...3) in area of shore power cable compartment (snaking wire to this I think will be a problem)...I'm leaning toward oudoor kitchen wall..the LED cycles through readings so acts somewhat as a blinker that would be annoying at night .

What are others doing? Thanks

Old 07-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #42

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Mine is mounted under the lip of the bed just above the fuse box. I like it there so I can see voltage and amps easily. The bedspread covers up the display unless I move it so I don't think it's distracting.

To keep the hole from showing I plugged in the display, slid the box down and then mounted it with the screws.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:03 PM   #43

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I regret not getting the remote display, because when I do get a trip, or just when I'm curious what's going on about something.... I can't just look.
I would not put it outside. Not much point in having it at all in that case, IMHO.

I always figured if I ever do add it, I'd likely put it on the side of the bed platform similar to SuperD.

If worried about the light, I wonder if there's room inside the converter breaker box area behind the door?
....actually now that I'm thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have a setting to select a dimmer display, or something like that.

Does the remote have a switch on the face? What's that for? If not for dimming the display, maybe there's a way to hack it.... Maybe call them?
Old 07-29-2017, 12:12 AM   #44

State: Ohio
THOR #8515
had a progressive hard wired in m new challenger before I picked it up. works great
Old 07-29-2017, 03:12 AM   #45

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Mine is mounted under the lip of the bed just above the fuse box. I like it there so I can see voltage and amps easily. The bedspread covers up the display unless I move it so I don't think it's distracting.

To keep the hole from showing I plugged in the display, slid the box down and then mounted it with the screws.
Same thing I did. It's actually not that bright. Even with the switch off it is still lit up.
With the cover over it, can't see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	6100  
Old 07-29-2017, 04:58 AM   #46

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewadsworth View Post
I have a 2017 Thor Windsport 29m. Looking for a suggestion on what I should purchase for a surge protector. It's a 30 amp.
I'm using a Hughes Autoformer. It is external, which can be a little inconvenient, but I call it a power conditioner. It has surge protection, but also provides a visual check on all power legs, and boosts the incoming power from the park as much as 10%if it falls below 112(?). So far, I have no complaints withe either, the equipment or the company. It wasn't cheap, but the RV was quite a bit more of an investment.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:21 AM   #47

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
I'm using a Hughes Autoformer. It is external, which can be a little inconvenient, but I call it a power conditioner. It has surge protection, but also provides a visual check on all power legs, and boosts the incoming power from the park as much as 10%if it falls below 112(?). So far, I have no complaints withe either, the equipment or the company. It wasn't cheap, but the RV was quite a bit more of an investment.
Same here, and am very pleased with it. As mentioned, it takes a little bit of effort to set up each time, but it will go with me when I sell my coach.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:03 PM   #48

Model: Thor Ace 30.4
State: Texas
THOR #8470
Smile Hughes Autoformer

We have used this product since our first fifth wheel back in 2002.
It performs exactly as stated. We were in a low voltage situation years ago in NC and our Autoformer plug melted to the power pole, due to all park AC's running full blast.
We had no issues with any electronics or anything in RV. Autoformer replaced our Autoformer unit at no cost since we were in warranty still at the time.
We have since used it in two more fifth wheels and now a new motorhome.
Great product and worth the investment.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:21 PM   #49

Model: Challenger LX
State: Nebraska
THOR #6543
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Progressive hardwired on my challenger. Its has same me a couple of times.

KC
Is the EMS hard wired before or after the transfer switch? I'm assuming it was mounted in the compartment with the 50 amp cord?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:45 PM   #50

State: Ontario
THOR #971
Mine is after the transfer switch as per my instructions it can go before or after I wanted to protect both shore and Genny
Old 08-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #51

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Is the EMS hard wired before or after the transfer switch? I'm assuming it was mounted in the compartment with the 50 amp cord?
Progressive says it can go before since the generators rarely give problems, but either way is fine. Progressive gives instructions for both ways.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:30 AM   #52

THOR #8515
yes it is hard wired in the coach in the back compartment where the 50amp cord comes in,protects everything.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:24 AM   #53

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
We have the remote Progressive and use it all the time.
Weird thing happened this past weekend. Plugged the Progressive in, it did its thing and the green lite went on...but no power to the RV. I disconnected and did it again...still no power to the unit. I contacted the Park owner, he check out the post and reported all good there and suggested the Progressive unit was defective.
So, any ideas? Can the female extension out of the PRogressive unit go bad and not allow the power to the unit? After having the post power checked I plugged the power cable from the RV straight to the post and 125V recorded in the unit (I have a meter plugged in at the stepside 120 plug).

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:40 AM   #54

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #3609
Camped for the first time in awhile after the accidental plug in to 220 and as I feared even on shore power, coach batteries and starting batteries not being charged. Have checked all fuse's. Have been keeping batteries charged with solar when parked.
Wonder if I blew the inverter? And am hoping insurance will pay for repairs!
Iceing on the cake... always clean the windshield before trips it was very hot...hit it with water now a big crack!��
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:14 AM   #55

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Camped for the first time in awhile after the accidental plug in to 220 and as I feared even on shore power, coach batteries and starting batteries not being charged. Have checked all fuse's. Have been keeping batteries charged with solar when parked.
Iceing on the cake... always clean the windshield before trips it was very hot...hit it with water now a big crack!��
I believe your converter charges your batteries. Do the lights and other 12 volts stuff work?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #56
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
As Hittntherooad said, it is the converter that charges batteries while on shore power...
Simple test to disconnect batteries, plug in to shore power and see if 12v coach interior lights work... Or measure output voltage from converter.
Batteries must be disconnected or you will read their voltage.

There are often fuses on the converter... If you got lucky.
Otherwise you "let the magic smoke out".

Don't know what insurance you are thinking might cover?

Now the windshield likely covered as glass claim on auto insurance.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #57

THOR #3609
My bad, I guess I should have said Converter instead of inverter...thanks guys, and GMC will try the things you said!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:07 AM   #58

THOR #3609
GMC, did as you said and no 12V lights when plugged in to shore power and batteries disconnected. All fuses that I can find look good...I assume the silver thing behind and below the fuse panel is the converter? Doesn't look that hard to replace, you think that's my problem?
I had to google "let the smoke out" Ha!... I get it!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:27 AM   #59
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
GMC, did as you said and no 12V lights when plugged in to shore power and batteries disconnected. All fuses that I can find look good...I assume the silver thing behind and below the fuse panel is the converter? Doesn't look that hard to replace, you think that's my problem?
I had to google "let the smoke out" Ha!... I get it!
They aren't hard to replace... Access is the only issue.
There may be one or two fuses right on the converter to check as well.
Batteries disconnected and unplugged from shore power to change.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:59 AM   #60

THOR #3609
Got it! Thanks for your help... will update when pulled and replaced...after I check any possible fuses I might have missed.