Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2022, 09:01 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #17401
I never let ours get below 1/2 tank. Even with that it's over $100 and credit card shuts pump down. Only need to fuel up again but under $100 to get a full take. My tank is 60 gallons gas.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:08 PM   #42

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Survey Full Tanks, 1/2 F or Empty

I sure hope the Costco Visa raises the $7000 spending limit on their 4% Cash Back for fuel. I max’ed out last year in 9 months before these crazy prices hit…. and that included using my Discover for 3 months to get 5% Cash Back on fuel.

And I hope all the cards raise their fuel purchase limits…. although I have had more gas stations have lower purchase limist than my credit card limits.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:58 PM   #43

State: Virginia
THOR #19219
Ethanol absorbs water. The emptier the tank allows more contact space for condensation to collect. Full tank minimizes the area for condensation to collect. I also agree with previous mentions of using some sort of fuel stabilizer when not in use.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:59 PM   #44

State: New York
THOR #18343
No matter the vehicle, never let the gauge reach 1/2 a tank! And the tank get filled before it’s parked between trips and winter storage!
Old 06-15-2022, 11:31 PM   #45
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
I have a 90 gallon tank with this diesel pusher. I never go below half and do not go out of my way for the lowest price unless less then .25 miles and must be 15 cents or more difference. Time and extra miles do not pay to do so.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:31 PM   #46

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I'm going to be a silver linings optimist here and hope that if gas does go to $7.00 a gallon this summer at least there will be more elbow room while on my trip to Montana.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:37 AM   #47

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnbear View Post
i fill my tank in my home town every time we return from a trip.
Thus i keep the tank full at home.

On the road i go as far as i can get on the tank and do a full fillup. Usually somewhere just below 1/4 of tank. It usually depends on where i can find the cheapest gas at that point on the guage.

Good question
irnbear
Old 06-16-2022, 01:55 AM   #48

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
Just a survey, do you run your RV full of fuel with 80 gal and accept the extra wt, or do you run 1/2 full or 1/4 full tanks?

For me, i am always topping my tanks off as i leave the RV park and head home. I know i can make it home without, but Full tanks gives me the sense of security.

Also, as a public school graduate, i think it cost less to fill my tank 4 times at 20 gal, than one 80 gal fuel fill at once.
On trips, when I get to 1/4 tank I look for the cheapest gas I can get to. With approximately 20 gallons your going about 140 if I'm towing, maybe 200 if not, but that's driving until empty which is not advisable!!! Always top it off when I get home too so I leave the next trip with a full tank. I think your better off time and expense wise to fill up with 80 than multiple times unless it's dirt cheap and I get take on at least 25 gallons. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! Bob Trice
Old 06-16-2022, 02:10 AM   #49

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Yes, filling the tank full reduces condensation and thus water droplets. Water is heavier than gas and settles to the bottom of the tank. This is why the airplanes have a sump drain every flight. That is the reason i keep mine full. I also, purchase a fuel injector and carb cleaner each month. Let it run thru the system, clean the varnish off the internal components, also something to buy at walmart besides milk and toilet paper. .....
Old 06-16-2022, 03:14 AM   #50

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Tax on diesel to rise 9 cents per gallon in Connecticut on July 1st
Diesel tax is going from 40.1 cents per gallon to 49.2 cents per gallon
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #51

State: Texas
THOR #22431
I typically refill whenever the gauge shows between 1/2 and 3/4 full. Rarely do I let the tank get down to half full.

Normally, I try to take a driving break every 2 - 2 1/2 hours and stop for the day after 5 hours total driving.

I prefer to start each day with a full tank.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:43 PM   #52
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Tax on diesel to rise 9 cents per gallon in Connecticut on July 1st
Diesel tax is going from 40.1 cents per gallon to 49.2 cents per gallon
If it wasn’t for the daughter and grandkids I wouldn’t go north of the Potomac River. I am able to fill up in Virginia and get to NJ and back without buying additional fuel.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:50 PM   #53

THOR #20220
We usually fill up just before campground so that we leave early 7am to 8am and arrive at next campsite 12noon to 1pm to setup have lunch checkout area and relax !
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 06-16-2022, 02:14 PM   #54

THOR #20220
I missed gas for 69 cents!!

I found this on NewsBreak: Gas station manager fired after accidentally setting price of premium fuel to 69 cents instead of $6.99 a gallon
https://share.newsbreak.com/1ah90s6x

https://share.newsbreak.com/1ah90s6x
Old 06-16-2022, 02:16 PM   #55

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
Just a survey, do you run your RV full of fuel with 80 gal and accept the extra wt, or do you run 1/2 full or 1/4 full tanks?

For me, i am always topping my tanks off as i leave the RV park and head home. I know i can make it home without, but Full tanks gives me the sense of security.

Also, as a public school graduate, i think it cost less to fill my tank 4 times at 20 gal, than one 80 gal fuel fill at once.
In today's situation I get fuel as often as I can find it for under $6.00 a gallon knowing that it goes up in price also every other day.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:25 AM   #56

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
WI look for a TSD Logistics fuel stop around that area.

For storage I am usually between 3/4 and full because of the location of the last truck stop under TSD Logistics’ fuel program. When we leave on the next adventure I fill up at the first TSD discount truck stop on our route.

That’s the way we’re ‘Rolling Down the Road’
Yup, We are Full Timers... When traveling, use TSD and/or Mudflap for diesel fuel stops.. 180 gallons usable of diesel, 110 gallons of fresh water.
Not Concerned about weights.

When parking, for a month or so.. top off the diesel,[Aquahot] and propane[ for cooktop,oven & outdoor BBQ]
Happy Trails
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:04 PM   #57

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Right, I filled in April when fuel was 3.43$ in GA.

That same fuel today would cost a whole lot more. Its like playing the fuel futures market, buy now because next week its more expensive.

I took the RV out for a shakeout run (Beaufort and back) , check tires, GEN and AC, etc. Came back and refilled for 25$. That was an expensive spin around the block!
Old 06-19-2022, 05:06 PM   #58

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I just paid 5.99 for regular at Costco in Orange County Calif. That is the cheapest around town. Hopefully the prices will go down by this time next summer. we are planning a cross country trip from Calif to Florida.

Paul
Old 06-19-2022, 05:30 PM   #59

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I just paid 5.99 for regular at Costco in Orange County Calif. That is the cheapest around town. Hopefully the prices will go down by this time next summer. we are planning a cross country trip from Calif to Florida.

Paul
Wow good luck you are looking at an estimated $4000 in gas round trip
Old 06-19-2022, 08:50 PM   #60

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
We are 6800 miles into our 8000 trip - 792 gallons with an average price of $4.29. Left NC @ 3.89 and paid 4.69 in Iowa today. Almost a dime jump every week like clockwork. My travel accountant budgeted $4K just as a benchmark and we’re going to be about $700 over if the prices hold to form. We’ve offset that by staying only one yellow night @ $60 and the next 2 nights @ $25-30 a night using local, state and NPS sites. The yellow folks don’t like a cancellation but shortening the stay has not been an issue. Yellow let’s us dump and clean tanks, do laundry and take a Hollywood. So far there has been no impact to the alcohol budget.