Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Need some help!

Fell and broke knee cap. Flying one of the kids in to drive us home. I’m running low on propane. Can’t get it filled at a reasonable price and don’t want to unhook it. Is there a way to connect a 20# tank to the tank on my coach. I’m hoping that there is a simple hose that my wife could go buy. ( yes! From now on; I’m going to let my wife be more involved with maneuvering, parking and setup of the coach).

Old 12-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #9047
You could do it with a manifold but I think the easiest way for now would be just get a longer hose to use while you are in a jam. Any gas company would have one, I got a 25’ to use on my patio with a portable heater. Just set the 25# on the ground to get you through.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
There is a special adapter called an "Extend a Stay" that can be added to your propane tank to allow the 20# cylinders to be used for on board LP. There are a couple of different kinds, one with just the 20# valve and another that has another valve adapter to allow you to hook up your grill to onboard propane.

With that said, no... there is no simple hose to allow you to hook up your 20# tank otherwise.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #4

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
Fell and broke knee cap. Flying one of the kids in to drive us home. I’m running low on propane. Can’t get it filled at a reasonable price and don’t want to unhook it. Is there a way to connect a 20# tank to the tank on my coach. I’m hoping that there is a simple hose that my wife could go buy. ( yes! From now on; I’m going to let my wife be more involved with maneuvering, parking and setup of the coach).
Ooo...Ouch! Sorry about your mishap! Can you call for a propane delivery?
Old 12-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #5

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
We have an "extended stay" bough at a local rv dealer, BE AWARE that there are several styles depending your on-board tank.

You could probably unhook you hose from your main tank and connect it to the 20#.

Took me 3 trips to get the correct extend a stay, they didn't have the right one in stock, so had to buy an adapte.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry to hear about your unplanned "trip"...

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just pay for the normal propane re-fill; than go through all of these extra steps?
Heal quickly and completely!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Where your MH regulator screws into your built-in tank downstream of the shut-off valve is a standard propane left-hand threaded connecter that is in the inside threads of all 20 or 30 lb tanks (used to be the only connection on those tanks). Unfortunately, you probably won't have enough slack in your regulator hose (but you might) to be able to connect it directly to a 20 lb tank so you need a simple male to female extension hose for propane tanks, but not the one with the modern, clunky, large right-hand thread connections. Any propane shop can make one up for you or you may be able to make one with parts/hose at HomeDepot, TractorSupply, and/or Camping World.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Sorry to hear about your unplanned "trip"...

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just pay for the normal propane re-fill; than go through all of these extra steps?
Heal quickly and completely!
I’m a little bit frugal. Ok, most say cheap. The delivery charge for less than 100 gallons is crazy. Even the company that delivers to the park we are in still wants a delivery charge. The extenda-stay is a little pricy, but solves the problem now and the future.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:10 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Sorry about your misfortune! I tend to be "frugal" too, but if this is a one time problem, I am with Bob on this one. I would explain your dilemma to the LP company, and if they won't give you a concession, I would pay their crazy delivery charge. Hope your recovery is speedy!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #10

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Hope you heal up soon. I have to agree with the others. Just suck it up and get a refill. By the time you spend the time and gas to run all over the place trying to gather the parts you need to convert to a portable tank, you'll likely spend much more than the cost of a refill. Remember the old saying, 'penny wise and pound foolish'.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Eric will show you what I was talking about. Nothing extra to buy if you have enough lack in the low pressure hose downstream of your MH regulator.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
I’m a little bit frugal. Ok, most say cheap. The delivery charge for less than 100 gallons is crazy. Even the company that delivers to the park we are in still wants a delivery charge. The extenda-stay is a little pricy, but solves the problem now and the future.
I can dig that!
But I was thinking of the whole "cost versus benefit" concept...
You gotta do, what you gotta do: the best of luck to you!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote