Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2021, 02:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Swivel Chair Problems on Driver's Side

This problem has been a pain in the neck since I bought my Vegas in 2018. Like most of you, when camped, we put out the small table between passenger and driver's seat. The passenger seat spins to face inside of cabin or toward table for easy use. The driver's side also turns toward cabin, but is unable to face table, because the steering wheel impedes this position. So, when using table from this seat, you have to sit either at an angle or sidesaddle. Has anyone figure a way to make adjustment to face table strait on? I have adjusted the seat and steering wheel in several locations but still have the problem.

Old 09-09-2021, 04:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
There's about a thousand posts on this forum about this issue and the resolution which normally involves steering wheel and seat position and back angle. Some go so far as to remove the left arm rest when rotating the seat but that's not always necessary.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:13 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
It can be done, but only useful when slide is fully extended, otherwise there’s no leg&foot room

Here’s your answer in video form…

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...174439&o=OneUp
Old 09-10-2021, 12:17 AM   #4

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Could an Axis/Vegas owner add a steel plate or rails and mount the seat back a few inches?

This would allow moving the seat back enough to clear the steering wheel but still maintain forward adjustment for drivers who who need less leg room.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:09 AM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
Could an Axis/Vegas owner add a steel plate or rails and mount the seat back a few inches?

This would allow moving the seat back enough to clear the steering wheel but still maintain forward adjustment for drivers who who need less leg room.

In answer to your question…yes, you can add rails.
But…

1) If you try rotating the seat now in the “all the way back position”, you’ll hit the driver’s side wall console. That’s why the video instructs you to go half way forward prior to rotation

2) If you add rails, the seat will be even higher than it already is which many on this Forum believe is already too high

3) If you add rails, the seat itself will be able to go back allowing more legroom, but the backrest will be at 90 degrees becuz it’ll hit the slide

So, regardless of your seat mod…in order to rotate the seat facing the rear you still need to follow the video

Try it so you can see for yourself
Old 09-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #6

THOR #24565
Maybe cut the steering wheel in half???

Thank you for the clear explanation. I NOW understand why he said move seat to about half way.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The 6 way power bucket seat mechanism in many GM vehicles is essentially the same from 1961 through at least 2005.
It is entirely self contained and has its own wiring harness that isn't related to the vehicle. Remove the seat, remove the power assembly, unplug the power cordn and it's now stand alone.

It's about $20 at junk yards.
It has bolt holes on the seat side and bolt holes on the floor side.
It is incredibly easy to adapt to almost any seat.

Passenger side or switch sides for the control just means flipping the (a long-ish wire not connected to the seat frame so You could mount the controls on the dash or forty feet away) button plate upside down.
Punchline: a drivers seat mechanism works just fine on the Passenger side. Buy two drivers side instead of looking for a rare passenger seat mechanism.

Push a button and the seat will move to clear the steering wheel.
Spouse pushes a button...and instantly quits complaining about height or angle of seat.

So easy.
I haven't done this to the 24.1 because I don't need it.
I have done it 6 or 8 times to boats and sand buggies and cars.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:02 PM   #8

THOR #24565
But, I'm Ford man!!

I have bookmarked this idea.