Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2020, 12:38 AM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Has anyone changed the complete bake brake turn light assembly on axis or vegas. Where did you buy them
Yeah lots of discussion about this.

You'll want a Command Electronics LED sealed triple tail light (looks like they are sold out). If you call them you can even get them with the Thor connections so it is a really easy swap out. (Looks like etrailer has them but those come with bare wires so you'll have to splice them in yourself.)

You should also toss the gasket that comes with them and put in something that won't crush and leak (like a rubber one--I took a rubber sheet and cut it to fit).

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:01 PM   #22

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Just ordered my new tail lights for 2016 Axis 003-3000M1--LED SEALED TRIPLE TAIL LIGHT
Command electronics
Can’t wait to put them in. Already reworked the damp areas and painted. Wasn’t much damp area just wanted to paint with marine paint and change to LEDs
Old 10-16-2020, 12:33 AM   #23

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Just ordered my new tail lights for 2016 Axis 003-3000M1--LED SEALED TRIPLE TAIL LIGHT
Command electronics
Can’t wait to put them in. Already reworked the damp areas and painted. Wasn’t much damp area just wanted to paint with marine paint and change to LEDs

I never understood why Command Electronics made the center backup lights with two screws and a lousy paper gasket that will also fail. I sealed the new lights with butyl rubber and external sealer but those damn paper gaskets on the backup lights still seemed to allow moisture in. Still better than the stock incandescent lights.

Soon to be Ex-Californian
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:45 AM   #24

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I just changed out the bulbs to LED on the OEM tail lights and sealed everything up with Butyl Tape
These LED bulbs were $9.99 on Amazon for a 10pk
I needed 6

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...63R9BIFA&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Bulbs for Tail Lights.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	26720  
Old 10-16-2020, 01:18 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I never understood why Command Electronics made the center backup lights with two screws and a lousy paper gasket that will also fail. I sealed the new lights with butyl rubber and external sealer but those damn paper gaskets on the backup lights still seemed to allow moisture in. Still better than the stock incandescent lights.

Ref Paper gaskets. What I found on my lights is the gasket is foam but had a paper over the adhesive. I removed mine, took off the paper and flipped the gasket over and stuck it to the housing side and reattached the lens. Then I plugged all the screw heads with soft butyl. That was 3 years ago and no water behind the lens since.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:15 AM   #26

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You should also toss the gasket that comes with them and put in something that won't crush and leak (like a rubber one--I took a rubber sheet and cut it to fit).
I'm going through this on my 2019 right now. Command Electronics is now offering a completely sealed LED tail lamp unit (no red lens over a black casing w/ the reverse lens screwed in).

This model "does not" come with the Thor pig tail - even if you ask for it. Command "does" have an LED model that they will put the THOR pigtail on - but, it's the older-style two-piece lamp design that is now obsolete.

Yes, the new model comes with the foam gasket; however, at-least in what I've found on my RV, it's not the foam gasket that's letting the water in. It's the fault of the older-style two-piece lens/lamp design AND the factory using #8 screws that were too large for the screw holes in the lamp. This is where the water was getting in for me & the screws were rusty to tell the tale. The factory paid no attention to screwing the #8's in square & because they were too large the screws just sort-of wedged themselves in the housing - allowing water to creep in over time.

In my opinion, a #6x1 Stainless screw is a much better fits for the Command Electronics tail lamp. Guess I'll be gluing dowel rods in all the old #8 holes.