Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Tank sensors

Is there a way to reset these sensors? My fresh water tank shows it to be 2/3 full when in fact it is 1/3 full.
Makes me question the accuracy of the other sensors!

Old 07-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Not reset, but clean. Common problem with these sensors.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
RV Tank sensors are notorious for being inaccurate.

Better solutions exist but they involve either buying a new system (https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/) or rolling your own (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...nsor-1177.html )
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
The sensors are not 100% accurate in my limited experience they are just a general guide. Did you watch it? When does it register 2/3? At about 75%? Might be as good as it gets. Only time I would worry is if it does not move at all if it's off 10 to 15% just learn it's individual readings and call it good. Unless someone else has had better experience with them.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Unless, as mentioned already, you want to change them a more expensive set then you do what I do, never look at them. We've had several rvs in 30-40 years & not one have have they been worth the effort to open the cabinet to look at them. Yea, you can try ice cubes, sensor cleaners, magic potions of this & that, but all you'll do is drive yourself nuts. Just learn your rv, mine can go 7+/- days on the black tank, 7+ on the galley & 2 maybe 3 on the bath (depends on who's showering), usually when hooked to sewer the bath valve stays open til a day or 2 before draining black & then use both grays to rinse hose after draining black. I know I wouldn't go the the expense or trouble to lay under my coach a minute to change them out.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If your toilet is directly above your black tank you can try one of these wands. Empty your tank, flush it out good and then leave the valve open. Use the wand to throughly wash down the sides of your tank. Chances are you have crud stuck to the sides and sensors. If your toilet isn't above your tank there is another model that has a flexible end to wash out the tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	5830
Old 07-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Note that the OP was complaining about the fresh water tank, not the grey or the black.

Can you see your fresh water tank? (On our 24.1 we can remove a panel and see the tank and where the probes are mounted.) Perhaps the probes are wired wrong LOL (Wouldn't put it past them.)
Old 07-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #8

Model: Thor Axis
THOR #6203
I can see the fresh water tank on my Axis. I just put my own level markers on them. I'm more concerned about propane and batteries than the tank sensors!
I'm not willing to invest in a more expensive system, so I'm going to take TravelTexans approach. Live with it and learn as I go!
Old 07-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
THOR #121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
I can see the fresh water tank on my Axis. I just put my own level markers on them. I'm more concerned about propane and batteries than the tank sensors!
I'm not willing to invest in a more expensive system, so I'm going to take TravelTexans approach. Live with it and learn as I go!
I have done that for years life is too short to sweat the little things
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Note that the OP was complaining about the fresh water tank, not the grey or the black.

Can you see your fresh water tank? (On our 24.1 we can remove a panel and see the tank and where the probes are mounted.) Perhaps the probes are wired wrong LOL (Wouldn't put it past them.)
Guess I read over the fresh tank part.

Wand is still a good way to clean black tank.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
Propane actually just measures the position of the needle on the gauge at the tank--look there is a gauge there.

Batteries measures the voltage and thus should be pretty reliable--note that the battery button will only show you the voltage of the house battery anyway.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:42 PM   #12

Model: Siesta 24SR
State: Arizona
THOR #1894
You don't say if the gauge ever worked correctly, but in 2015 siesta the grey tank was wired wrong. check the wires should be:

orange=full
green=2/3
yellow=1/3
white=empty (GND)
Old 07-16-2017, 03:57 AM   #13

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
The tank sensors on our 2017 Axis for gray and black tanks didn't work right from day 1. They were either empty or full according to the control panel. It took a while to get it straightened out as CW claimed the factory wanted them to try things first that were impossible in order to avoid removing the tanks. After that back and forth for a couple of weeks they were wired properly and now work fine. Wired wrong at the factory and covered up. I still don't trust them.
Now we have learned that the gurgle in the bathroom comes from the tub drain before the gray tank backs up into the tub. The black tank is easy to see when the level gets high. Sometimes a flashlight isn't even neeeded. It's simple, it's easy and I have never been completely comfortable relying on electronics for some things.
Our water tank is easy to see - its under the jack knife sofa.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #14

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Just like Travlin Texans said, most of these sensors never work correctly. We learned early on just to ignore them. Our grey stays open unless we are a day or two away from dumping the black, then we might close it (don't need a sensor). The black tank will last us anywhere from 5 to 7 days (don't need a sensor). On my Challenger model my clear plastic tank is totally visible with lines on it for the different levels (don't need a sensor).
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:41 PM   #15

State: California
THOR #15078
Grey water tank sensors

Has anyone every replaced their grey water tank sensors with Horst Miracle Probe sensors? Do they work better than the stock sensors? They fit 3/8" holes. I have a 2019 Thor Fourwinds 25V.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2020, 05:17 PM   #16

State: North Carolina
THOR #3140
Did you ever replace those sensors? I'm trying to do it now but haven't figured out how to get the old out...