Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2020, 02:20 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Sprinter
State: Utah
THOR #10500
Easy change

I changed out my tankless for a 6 gal tank in my Four Winds Sprinter and love the change. We boondock 95% of the time and the saved water and saved hassle were well worth it. I did most of the work myself with an RV technician for an hour to help hook it up. Sold the Girard so the cost was only $200-300 for the change.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #42

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6419
Gave up on the Girard 2. The solution was Truma. Beautiful !
Old 02-18-2021, 08:51 PM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #22226
We are getting ready to pull the trigger on. 2021 Quantum RC25. It has a tankless water heater, which we thought was an upgrade until I started reading this forum.
We will mostly camp at developed campsites without any hookups. So we have to be able to run off our camper systems. Will there be enough water pressure for tankless heater to work without hookups?
Old 02-18-2021, 09:03 PM   #44

Model: Four Winds Sprinter
State: Utah
THOR #10500
Your water pressure with the pump will be fine. The issue is hot, then cold, then hot, then cold water from the Girard every time you turn the hot water on then off. We wasted too much water when boondocking, which we do all the time, and it was too fussy. Since you won’t be hooked up to water supply most of the time, I would get a tank heater. I would like to try the Truma, which sounds like a good answer.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:09 PM   #45

Model: Citation 24ST
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7565
Hi, IMO you may want to have a reg hot water tank. We rarely stay at campgrounds with full hook ups. We had reg tank in our Vegas and never had a problem with having hot water. We rarely pulled into a site and needed hot water immediately, we'd turn on hot water heater when we set up at site and had not water within 10 minutes or so and then it was always hot when we needed it. We now have the Citation which came with on demand heater, we have switched it our for a regular tank. Yes we did all the tweaks they said to do to get instant hot water but just didn't work for our type of camping. To much water was wasted and went into gray tank before water got hot. Could never get really hot water to do dishes because we conserve water when we do dishes and don't run it constantly, which when you turn off the on demand water and turn it on again it has to heat up all over again. The reg tank is just going to be less stressful and more usefull for us. Again just IMO as everyone has their own camping style. Happy camping to you!
Old 02-19-2021, 04:49 AM   #46

THOR #19337
We agree, we've gotten used to our on demand hot water but it does waste water. We dry camp at times but often go for full hookups.
Certainly did not understand that when we bought our Quantum LF31 with the "upgrade" on demand system.
We have considered getting a tank but with only dry camping for short periods we've put off making that purchase.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:23 AM   #47

Model: Deposit: Chateau 28A
State: Ohio
THOR #22158
Not sure what size your motor home is but if it has a single A/C then the generator should be at least a 4000w. which should be adequate to run your A/C and lights etc... you may not be able to run your A/C microwave at the same time but singularly you should.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #48

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I also switched to a 6 gallon water tank for many of the same reasons as above, the Girard works OK but does require a learning curve. You can increase the water pressure on you water pump , in your Shurlfo manual there is an explanation on how to do it and if you cannot find the manual just contact Shurlfo and they can walk you through it and also check youtube. First trick may be to find the water pump.
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Old 02-19-2021, 12:58 PM   #49
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhortho1 View Post
Gave up on the Girard 2. The solution was Truma. Beautiful !
I had the option of a Truma system on my Tiffin, and didn't hesitate for a second...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:23 PM   #50

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I actually cheated: I traded in my Girard for a Truma...

...And they threw in the new RV!
But the Truma was a MAJOR upgrade. I can mix water with the faucets, and there's probably a 80% reduction in the time spent waiting for the hot water.

THANK YOU Mr. Denman,
I am always smiling when reading your responses to these quetions/comments in the Thor Forums with your rather uniquely humorous look at serious and not so serious things. Keep it coming!
Old 02-19-2021, 02:58 PM   #51
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1613746670
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Here All Week.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	28625  
Old 02-19-2021, 03:22 PM   #52

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6419
The problem isn't the water pressure, it's adequate. The problem is the water heater. As I have said in an earlier post after 2 years of trying I gave up on the tankless Girard 2 and replaced it with the tankless Truma Aqua Go. It works beautifully and wish it had been an option when we purchased our rv new in 2017.

Do yourself a favor, if you are having trouble with delivery of inconsistent hot water, replace whatever you have with a Truma product. You won't regret it.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #53
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The only downside to a Truma system: it ain't cheap!
But once you try it: you'll wish that you had bought it sooner.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:54 AM   #54

THOR #19337
Bob, or anyone, do you know about Suburban tankless heater? it's a lot cheaper than the Truma. Someday we'll replace our Girard so I'm curious.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:07 PM   #55
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybie View Post
Bob, or anyone, do you know about Suburban tankless heater? it's a lot cheaper than the Truma. Someday we'll replace our Girard so I'm curious.
Look at the required flow rates...
The Girard system seems to need about .9 gpm.
The Truma only needs .4 gpm.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:44 AM   #56

THOR #19337
yes, the nautilus suburban tankless rv water heater only needs 0.5 gpm. Cloe to the Truma for a 1/3 of the cost.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:45 AM   #57

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
We mainly dry camp and have the tankless water heater and you will waste water and fill the grey tank up faster. So what we do is, I have a 5 gallon water container that we stick the shower head or kitchen sink head in and run the water till it's hot, I purchased a small battery operated transfer pump and when the container gets full pump the water back into the fresh water tank. Now we are not wasting fresh water or filling up the grey tank.
It's a lot cheaper than replacing the system.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:55 AM   #58

THOR #19337
yes, thanks, We have looked at doing that for longer dry camping. I'm thinking about the future when the heater goes out and what to replace it with. The Truma sounds great but the specs for the Suburban seem similar for less cash. I was curious of anyone had experience with the Suburban Nautilus tankless water heater.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #59

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
One more time, SHOWER MISER by AQUA VIEW.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #60

State: Missouri
THOR #17688
Just like the Miata, the Shower Miser is the answer to every tankless RV water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
One more time, SHOWER MISER by AQUA VIEW.
Yes, it is. I looked at it when we first installed a Girard in place of a tank-type in our TT a few years ago.

But then...we never dry camped, had big tanks, and never worried about it.

Now we have a Girard in our Compass and so far, two outings, it's working just as I expect it to, on the pump and on city water.

Would I like a Truma? Yes. But I am happy with what I have.

Tags
hot water heater issue