Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2020, 08:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alberta
THOR #20186
Tankless water heater.

Hi. Has anyone switched out the tankless water heater for a standard hotm just doesn't work, and there are many complaints on the internet about this system that I'd like to just get rid of that nightmare of a device. It's just a way too fussy and touchy for use in a motorhome.

Old 08-22-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
They're not nearly as bad as you think... Once you get them figured-out.
First: make sure that you've got good water pressure. It takes at least 50 psi to keep the system happy.
Next: only use the hot water faucet. Forget that the cold water one even exists. Use the system controls to set the temperature to a comfortable level. (105 to 110 degrees is a good place to start.)

Once you get the quirks figured out: they do a nice job.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I agree with Bob. Once I figured it out I would not have a regular hot water heater in my motor home. I have endless hot water as long as my propane holds out.

Paul
Old 08-22-2020, 09:07 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It is 99.9% operator error or valve setting or inadequate water pressure.
But yes
Some have swapped them out.
Their afterthought reasoning, due to many of us debunking the tankless heater problems was the tank-changers will have water savings because of cold water in The lines which somehow doesn't exist on tanked heaters and the GREAT installation expense was worth saving 20 ounces of water when they turned on the shower(water which could have easily been transferred to the toilet for flushing with just one Red. Solo. Cup).
Some were understood to have even said the time required between showers was somehow a bonus and it only took a half an hour of pre-planning to have six gallons, and no more, of not instant hot water.

more than one thought they could sell their used tankless for $110% of retail.

Punchline:
With a bit(minutes) of initial finesse and understanding the tankless works perfectly and never needs touched again.

You'll read lots of internet stuff which is justification after the fact and not facts.

Someone better at a search than I can point you to many threads on tankless operation.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #5

THOR #20186
So if it's a water pressure problem which it sounds like it is, that tells me that the little on-board water pump isn't adequate. It's not properly matched with the water heater requirements. Is that correct, because then I'll just have to wait until I get to a place that has city water service.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:50 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Actually; it's more likely that you'd experience low pressure using city after as your source. Some folks in here have experimented with using their freshwater tankand water pump in RV Park situations, and have had good luck...
By the way: Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-22-2020, 10:13 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Yes, welcome.
Remove your faucet filters and check for swarf.
Our shower head(the prior owners had never used it) was just trickle. I took the screen off of it to drill out the water saver plug and a thumbnail sized pile of pex shards came out.
I still drilled it but the plastic was the culprit.

Something is hindering your pump. We get very few low pressure/volume questions about pumps.

Slightest of asides.
My weed sprayer is a 26 gallon tank with an on demand rv pump.
It went from 4gpm(yup. Six whole minutes of spray time) at 60psi to just a foamy trickle this season.

Like having a pinhole in a McDonald's soda straw, the pinhole in my pickup line ruined the whole damn thing.
I spliced out that teeny tiny hole and we're back in business.
I almost bought a new pump.
My best tries are always my last tries.

Pinchline(ha!)/
It's probably swarf or a pinhole in the pickup. The hole can be so small as to not even leak water but the pump suction will get air from it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:53 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Shuttleworth View Post
So if it's a water pressure problem which it sounds like it is, that tells me that the little on-board water pump isn't adequate. It's not properly matched with the water heater requirements. Is that correct, because then I'll just have to wait until I get to a place that has city water service.
The pump pressure is adjustable. You need to read the manual for the pump and turn the proper screw. Most all Sureflos installed in Thor MCs are capable of 55 psi and 2.4 to 3.2 g/m. It is usually not the high pressure cutoff that is improperly adjusted but the pressure bleed's start pressure.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #9

THOR #20186
Hi Bob. Thank you for the welcoming comment to this group. I've only been able to try the on-board water pump, and so far not been where I can try a direct city water service hook-up. My thinking is that the manufacturer didn't put a big enough pump in to do the job. It seems very anemic. How would I know if it's putting out enough pressure, because I just assumed that it would.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:07 PM   #10

THOR #20186
I'll have a look. Thank you. I would have thought that the dealer would have thought of doing that as a pre-dilvery set-up policy.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:07 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
As was mentioned in here by one of your new friends: your screens might be clogged with construction debris, or your water pump might not be set correctly.
Normally; they do a real nice job.
Do you have access to an outside water spigot?
Assuming that the water is clean enough for you to hook up to: hook up, and turn it on full blast.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:50 AM   #12

THOR #20186
Hi. I've read the manual numerous times and the only thing that is covered by it is being sure to not use an external water source running above 55 psi. The valves are all set right, and as I mentioned there's nothing in the manual about adjusting the pump output pressure. On another matter I found as I was checking the water system that the pec connectors used on the cold water supply line going to the water heater are rubbing on the back of the main water tank. I'm so glad to have had to look for this other problem because I wouldn't have known about this issue until they had rubbed a hole in the tank. It will have to go back to the dealer for this problem so I'll get them to check the water heater issue at the same time. It's just disappointing, but I guess that's what warranty is for. Thank you for all of your help and suggestions.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I hope that you find the right answer for you quickly!
(Nice catch with those rubbing lines)
Old 08-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #14

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Its really a matter of what you are used to and if its worth the cost. I had two motorhomes with the 6 gallon Suburban and had no problems with them, the tankless Girard is a good unit but hard to get used to. We found that it took a while to get the hot water to the shower head and that water was going right into the grey tank and filled it faster than usual than the tank heater. The Suburban we installed has both electric and propane burners so when hooked up to shore power we save on propane, its probably not much but we still prefer the tank. The other advantage we found was when stopping for a break and want to wash our hands ,the water in the tank stays fairly hot for most of the day for instant use. Just my opinion and welcome to this form who have a lot of good people who have gone through problems and help a lot.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
PS Anyone out there looking for a lightly used Girard Tankless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Shuttleworth View Post
Hi. I've read the manual numerous times and the only thing that is covered by it is being sure to not use an external water source running above 55 psi. .
Here are my suggestions for adjusting the pressure on a SureFlo water pump.
  1. You don’t need to take the pump out of the camper – or take the pressure switch apart!
  2. Look for the small Allen screw on the top of the pressure switch. It is located near where the wires are attached to the pump.
  3. Turning clockwise will result in a more sensitive switch (more likely to cycle by reducing the pressure)
  4. Turning counterclockwise makes the pump less likely to cycle as it increases the pressure
  5. Use your shower and determine when the pump cycles
  6. Turn the Allen screw counterclockwise until the pump no longer cycles while the shower is fully on (the pump should remain on while you are taking a shower, and turn off when you shut the shower fixture)
  7. If the pump does not turn off when the shower is off you have turned the Allen screw to far counterclockwise.
Usually it is not necessary to adjust the bleed valve as its purpose is to keep the pump from hammering at high pressures and low flows.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:32 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Interesting... Thanks!
Old 08-24-2020, 05:12 AM   #17

THOR #20186
Thank you for your help. I just realized one of my problems in finding any help and that's due to the manual that was provided is not the manual for the model of motor coach that I have. Nothing was making sense, and now I have at least one thing answered.

On another matter does anyone find that the built-in generator won't run much of anything. If I turn the induction stove top burner on at anything past heat setting 7 the little engine dies. It certainly won't run the A/C unit, nor if I try to plug a kettle and a toaster at the same time. I tried looking it up but I just wasn't able to find anything about this.
Thank you,
Wayne
Old 08-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #18

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Wayne

You on board generator should run everything inside your coach when not plugged into shore power. You may not be able to run all of your high demand electrical systems all at once. I have not had any issues with it not functioning correctly on my 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS. You might have a connection issue between the generator and the coach.

Paul
Old 08-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How many watts is your generator supposed to be capable of throwing through the wires?
Something sounds amiss...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #20

THOR #20186
Hi Bob. I haven't been able to get an answer on how many watts the generator is capable of producing yet but knowing that will help.

Tags
hot water heater issue