Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2016, 02:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #5695
tankless water heaters

i could use some advice on thankless water heaters. Pros and Cons. WE have just bought a 2017 Challenger (waiting for it to get hear) and will be taking some long trips in it.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #3789
Not really sure how they would work in a motorhome but we have one for the house. It is great and we love it, had the same one for about 14 years now. Endless hot water, but it is hooked up to a 60 amp breaker, 10 amps more than our hole motorhome. But I have heard of them for motorhomes. Might be ok as long as you are on 50 amp service but what if you are in a place that only has 30 amps? Right now with what we have we have to choices to warm our tank and that's peace of mind when on the road.

just my 2 cents worth......
Old 12-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #3789
oh wow... sorry but I do see some for your LP gas.... $768.00 at CW
Old 12-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike99 View Post
i could use some advice on thankless water heaters. Pros and Cons. WE have just bought a 2017 Challenger (waiting for it to get hear) and will be taking some long trips in it.
Welcome to the "Challenger Owners Club." A no rules and no dues club. Just owning a Thor Challenger make you a member. Check out RVillage - Group Profile - Thor Challenger Owners Unite
- it's a great way to meet other Challenger owners as you travel.
Re tankless water heater. Do some serious research and don't rely on sales pitches. Truma is at top of my shopping list when our std. HWH dies.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #5

THOR #6110
A question that we have as well. Will be watching it for more information
Troutkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:23 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Definitely agree with Mustang94. Having hot water from shore power, generator and/or LP gives me peace of mind. And adding another power hungry item gives me pause to rethink. Considering how many decisions are based trying to make the most of limited resources, including space, money, and energy, I like having lots of options.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 12-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #7

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
When we were first looking at MH's we almost pulled the trigger on a Jayco. The unit had a tankless water heater. Based on their forum information and what the salesmen told me I wasn't impressed. Apparently there is a "sweat spot" you have to hit just right when running the shower. If you run too low of pressure then the tank won't send enough hot and you end up with a luke warm shower. The salesmen said it takes some time to get used to and some folks didn't like them.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:59 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
My understanding is all the RV tankless use both 12 volts for the control system and LP for heat. My observation, is they are fairly frugal on LP use, as they will fire in bursts once up to the temperature set. I did discover that for some reason, if I stop the water flow in the shower using the flow stop button on the shower head, the heater errors out and will not restart until the water is shut off and restarted. Leaving it on, it seems to be fine. Can't really explain that, but????? From an LP usage standpoint, the advantage is, you don't use fuel to heat a full tank if you don't need it.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #9

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
FYI I was told recently that tankless water heaters would soon be standard on the Thor Axis ( and I assume) Vegas.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:20 PM   #10

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Oregon
THOR #5953
Starting in 2nd half of 2016, all the Axis/Vegas are going tankless too, but when we asked the salesman about them we got the same "sweet spot" response, which is not conducive with the way we take our on/off "Army showers" when boondocking.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #11

THOR #5821
So far the tankless HW in ours is ok. I like not having the tank, but the tankless supplies hot water differently in some respects. So far the adjustments are minor.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #12

THOR #6203
Will the tankless HW units being installed on the new MH be electric or propane? Both? For boondocking wouldn't you need to run it off propane?
Also what brand is being installed? I've read some not so favorable reviews about the Atwood brands.
Thanks
Old 01-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #13

THOR #5821
I'm pretty sure all tankless have 12 volt control systems, but heat with LP. As I commented earlier their use of LP seems so far to be fairly frugal, the burner runs in bursts to maintain temperature, once the temp is up.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #14

THOR #6203
Laco thanks. I'm in the process of ordering my Axis and wanted to be certain it would be good for boondocking.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:13 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike99 View Post
We have one in our Axis. Used it a little and seems to work fine. The thing I like is that you can set the hot water temp. The thing I don't like is it only uses propane.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:20 AM   #16

THOR #6203
Dbagger777 what make is your tankless WH ?
Old 02-02-2017, 12:14 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
Dbagger777 what make is your tankless WH ?
Sorry for the slow response. We have been on the road for a while.
Gerard, is the brand. My wife loves it! She never runs out of hot water. Having said that; we have been near water and dump stations, and we were on full hookup for a week. If we were BoonDocking out west it would be hard to conserve water.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:19 AM   #18

THOR #5821
I think Gerard is what Thor uses in most, if not all their units. Ours, too is a Gerard, and seems to work ok. There are pluses and minuses to both a tank and tankless. but tankless seems to be the way most are going now.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:03 AM   #19

Model: Citation
THOR #12809
I have a Girard tankless WH on my Citation. So far I really like the tankless over a tank WH. I have read several threads on this forum and implemented some information I gained from the WH topic.

First is the campground water pressure. They are all different and the Girard works best between 45 and 55 psi. Using PVC pipe, I hard plumbed an adjustable water pressure valve between the RV and the source. Since Thor seems to be going primarily tankless, I believe the adjustable valve should be built in the system from the factory.

Second is don't set your WH temperature too high. I set mine at 115. My showers are always hot and I never run out of hot water. I never could do that with the the small tank heaters.

I can't answer the 12 volt question as I run mine on LP. I hope my comments are helpful to others.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:19 AM   #20

THOR #5821
As I commented earlier in the thread, as far as I know, all the tankless water heaters, use LP for heating the water, and 12 volts for the control system. Without either, you will not have hot water. Manufactures like them, as compared to a standard hot water tank, they cost less, are lighter and take less space.