Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2018, 11:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #7642
Tarrifs affecting RV prices

So we have been doing some soul searching about trading in our coach for a different model. Recently we were shot down a bit because we were told the recent tarrifs have severely increased prices. We have noticed this to be true.

We were told to see the newspaper article that came out in The NY Times about the RV industry being hit hard because the tariffs on steel. Do you think it’s hype or some truth to it? Or, is it a another reason to raise prices?

Old 09-13-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
This article?

Interesting piece. Describes more about the concern in Elkhart about sales dropping (and also contests if the sales drop off is due to tariffs or not).

If you find the model you're looking for for a reasonable price I'd still go for it--just see if you can find one already on the lot (shouldn't be able to raise the price on something already there).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:38 PM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
That theory may or may not be true. It sounds like salesperson psycobabble to me. Not everybody considers NYT to be a credible source. You would be wise to shop around. BTW, were the initials of that dealership C and W?
Old 09-13-2018, 11:57 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
If tariffs are affecting the cost of new units, and I don't know one way or the other, it would also increase the value of your current unit.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:14 AM   #5

THOR #7642
Thought the same. Think they may be using this to their advantage. I see 2018’s already priced lower yet 2019’s higher. Ok I get it but now it seems like a game. Much like a comment above, does that increase the value of ours, at least at trade value?
Old 09-14-2018, 12:20 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelRobidoux View Post
Thought the same. Think they may be using this to their advantage. I see 2018’s already priced lower yet 2019’s higher. Ok I get it but now it seems like a game. Much like a comment above, does that increase the value of ours, at least at trade value?
Ah but the newer units will always be priced higher: Last year in the fall of 2017 the new 2018 units were higher than the existing 2017 units. Simply because the dealers want to move all the older ones off the lot.

Happens the same in the car market: When the model year switches over you usually can find some deals on last years model.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:56 AM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I wouldn't put an ounce of faith in anything printed by the NY Times. Them, combined with an RV salesperson...disastrous.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:11 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Will tariffs increase the cost of RVs, absolutely! From the time a tariff is instituted until there TRUE cost increase there is a substantial lag time. Don’t buy into the hype that tariffs have caused an immediate increase in RV prices, just not true. If you find what you want now is the time to buy, prices aren’t going to go down!!!
Old 09-14-2018, 04:11 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
IMHO..I think the NY Times, National Inquirer and CNN are synonymous....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I honestly believe that it's a sales tactic, and nothing more...
We'll have to see if the discounts offered remain in that 25% to 30% range or not...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #11

THOR #11130
They will...look at the lots as you travel around...thousands on top of thousands of RV's drying out in the sun and the manufacturers are still cranking them out at 90%+ capacity. It's a volume driven business and the dealers will take any deal before they let someone walk. My advice to a buyer is hit em low...insult them and start walking towards the door. It's totally a buyer's market. When a sales-goober start trying to justify high prices or smaller discounts...let them know they are full of "black tank matter" and start walking.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #12

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelRobidoux View Post
So we have been doing some soul searching about trading in our coach for a different model. Recently we were shot down a bit because we were told the recent tarrifs have severely increased prices. We have noticed this to be true.

We were told to see the newspaper article that came out in The NY Times about the RV industry being hit hard because the tariffs on steel. Do you think it’s hype or some truth to it? Or, is it a another reason to raise prices?
See another dealer, check the flyers they put out in the RV shows. I hear that they changed thier mind about the tariffs. Maybe schedule a drive up to Elkhart and stay for a week. Oh yeah, when you do the walk through, use your phone to record everything. When you get your pamphlets, put them in a hardbound Notebook with plastic covering on the pages. Leave enough pages empty for additional repair slips.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #13

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Will tariffs increase the cost of RVs, absolutely! From the time a tariff is instituted until there TRUE cost increase there is a substantial lag time. Don’t buy into the hype that tariffs have caused an immediate increase in RV prices, just not true. If you find what you want now is the time to buy, prices aren’t going to go down!!!
Yeah I remember 2008 and a lot of used RVs went up for sale. The dealers had to hustle to sell anything new cause of the employment problem.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #14

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Dealers by nature are going to push for as many $$'s as they can get for anything they sell, They are wired that way. Another driving factor, is the RV market has for the past four or five years, been very hot. I believe we are looking at a drastic cool down in the market, but like everyone else, can't predict exactly when. Makes dealers want to pull in as many $$'s as they can, for as long as they can.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #15

THOR #11130
On our trip back this weekend from S. GA and traveling through Byron, GA, there's a CW and at least three other dealers along the interstate. For about a mile there was nothing you could see but RV's by the thousands on both sides of the freeway. I bet you could go in any of them and name your price.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I wouldn't put an ounce of faith in anything printed by the NY Times. Them, combined with an RV salesperson...disastrous.

I agree, The NYT will publish anything that makes trump look bad. Sales people and manufacturers will also use it as an excuse to increase profits. If you think about it, most of the coach is made in the US. So how can a tariff that was just put in place already be hitting the industry hard. My chassis was manufactured over a year before the RV was manufactured.
Personally, I really don't want anything made in China and if the tariffs encourages manufactures to purchase components from other Asian countries or Mexico, I am all for it. Charge me a but more, but give me a bit more quality.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
On our trip back this weekend from S. GA and traveling through Byron, GA, there's a CW and at least three other dealers along the interstate. For about a mile there was nothing you could see but RV's by the thousands on both sides of the freeway. I bet you could go in any of them and name your price.
I might have to come down there, and see if I can upgrade to the Outlaw 37...
Old 09-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #18

THOR #7642
There’s an Outlaw for sale locally that is out of this world! It’s in Stuart, Florida and I hear it’s the only one around here. Loved the upstairs loft and the whole layout.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

What's the price tag on it: that's the model that I've been lusting over!
Old 09-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #20

THOR #7642
You and me both! About 156k