Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2021, 05:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #21980
Auto level?

Hi everyone! New to the forums and new owner of a 2015 Thor ACE 30.1.

I have a question. My coach doesn’t have auto leveling jacks. I was wondering did the previous owner take them off?

Do all ACE models come with jacks? Are there base models for example that don’t have the auto leveling jacks?

Thank you! I can’t wait to get to know some of you and share some adventures!

Old 01-28-2021, 10:06 AM   #2

Model: Aria
State: New Jersey
THOR #17864
Welcome aboard!

Congrats on your new purchase. This is definitely the place to get answers.
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Newf026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:28 AM   #3

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Congrats and welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with your model, but there will be others that will have answers for you.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum.

Back in 2015 a lot of the class C and smaller class A motorhomes did not come with leveling jacks. Some class A models included them as an expensive option that may buyers passed on and instead just used the orange lynx leveling blocks instead.

It is doubtful the previous owner removed the jacks or you would see a gaping hole in the cab where the control panel had been mounted.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:33 PM   #5

THOR #21980
Thank you all for responses! The previous owner had a couple ACE motorhomes and removed the panel when he rented it out on RV share. He wasn’t sure if mine had a leveling system or not so he gave me the panel to plug in.

Since I don’t have levelers I did purchased blocks. Is that what you guys would recommend for leveling purposes??
Old 01-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On my class c a nu amber of years ago I never had leveling jacks and used the. lynx leveling blocks. I could actually level that rig faster than I could level either of the 2 later rigs with hydraulic jacks.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:01 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCampFarm View Post
Thank you all for responses! The previous owner had a couple ACE motorhomes and removed the panel when he rented it out on RV share. He wasn’t sure if mine had a leveling system or not so he gave me the panel to plug in.

Since I don’t have levelers I did purchased blocks. Is that what you guys would recommend for leveling purposes??
You would need more than the "panel" for a leveling system. You need jacks, hydraulic hoses, hydraulic pump and manifold, wiring, and the controller. If this was a spec'ed rental unit from Thor it may not have had a leveling system, awnings, or other items easily broken by RV neophytes; but rental units are normally Class C MHs.

But a normal 2015 ACE would have had a leveling system from the factory.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 32a
State: Washington
THOR #18907
VanCampFarm
I have had 3 Class C Rv's prior to our first Class A. None of them had leveling systems and I would consider myself an expert on using Lynx blocks for leveling. We Boondock camp almost exclusively and are normally parked with 2-3" out of level. I used 2 leveling bubbles mounted permanently inside the coach (front to back and side to side) and could tell from them if I was 1' or 3" out of level for example. Each block generally equates to 1" so I would plan my blocks in each position, place them next to the tires, back up about a foot, slip them in front of the tires and pull up onto them. Presto -Level.

I still carry a set and although don't use them often with the new Rv and leveling system, they are great once you practice using them. I cant imagine the cost and effort to "add" levelers to a used coach, but someone here may have?
I personally would buy 2 sets of blocks and train your camp crew (upgrade to Pit crew if they are really good) to slip them into place once you calculate what you need at each location. Ideally only 3 of the 4 wheel's need any adjustment. Happy Camping. Rod
Old 01-28-2021, 08:48 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
A lot depends on what you want and what you are willing to pay for.
Economy- use your leveling blocks. Pro- They are relatively cheap and are somewhat easy to use. Con - Not very convenient if you are setting up in inclement weather.
Convenience- Hydraulic levelers. Pro- very easy to use and normally you can set up from inside the camper without getting wet or muddy. Con- they are pricey.
We got our class C three years ago. The first year we used Anderson leveling ramps. With them I could get the camper within an inch or so of being level. I’m in my 70’s and did not like crawling on the ground to position the ramps (or blocks)
We spent about $3,500 to have a Bigfoot leveling system installed 2 years ago. For us, it was money well spent.
With the Bigfoot leveling system and the Level Mate Pro, I can sit on the steps of the camper and consistently get the camper level to about 1/4 inch.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCampFarm View Post
Hi everyone! New to the forums and new owner of a 2015 Thor ACE 30.1.

I have a question. My coach doesn’t have auto leveling jacks. I was wondering did the previous owner take them off?

Do all ACE models come with jacks? Are there base models for example that don’t have the auto leveling jacks?

Thank you! I can’t wait to get to know some of you and share some adventures!
probably didn't come with them, do you have a place left of driver seat where big leveling jacking control panel would be?

had them installed on our vegas in Jacksonville fl, was around 1250 for everything. I have no clue who it was, gave the card to the guy that bought the rig.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:28 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since everyone has covered your question about levelers: I'll just say, "Welcome to our campfire!"
Old 02-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #12

THOR #21980
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
probably didn't come with them, do you have a place left of driver seat where big leveling jacking control panel would be?

had them installed on our vegas in Jacksonville fl, was around 1250 for everything. I have no clue who it was, gave the card to the guy that bought the rig.
No sir, there isn’t a place on the drivers side where it looks like a programmer/panel would go.

I was thinking of just using blocks to level.

My next question is, do any of you use or can we use manual stabilizers? To take away the coach rocking when camped?
Old 02-04-2021, 05:40 PM   #13

THOR #21980
With no auto levelers I can use the blocks I’m ok with that.

However does anyone use manual stabilizers? To take away from the rocking of the coach when camped?
Old 02-04-2021, 05:47 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It wouldn't be a tough thing to add. Just make sure you get some that are up to the task...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:47 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
We still use this with our rig that has auto leveling just to make sure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ton of different stack blocks or ramps to buy and use.

on our old Vegas, had 4 manual hand/drill crank Walmart jacks to sound up the rig 4 corners. worked well

I carry a stack of cut 2 x 10's now to use with auto level on our hurricane, if if one cracks, burn the old one and replace with new! ha

[QUOTE=VanCampFarm;275781]No sir, there isn’t a place on the drivers side where it looks like a programmer/panel would go.

I was thinking of just using blocks to level.

My next question is, do any of you use or can we use manual stabilizers? To take away the coach rocking when camped?
Old 02-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I still like the ease of simply pushing one button...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote