Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2023, 11:21 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oregon
THOR #28859
Question Thor 19G Height, A/C, Traveling with Pets

Hello,

We are considering the purchase of a Thor four winds 19G.

I have a few questions.

1. Long story short, wondering what the air conditioning unit on top is?
and if replacing it with a low profile unit would give me the height requirement I need.
The story... When I built the garage 20 years ago, Planned for a 24 x 24 with 16' x 10' garage door thinking I could park larger vehicles, including an RV of some sort in the future, fast forward, we are now looking for a short in both length and height RV. I did not consider the stairs down into the garage taking out so much space and they are smack dab in the middle of the front of the room. so we are limited to 20' deep x 10' high, unless we remodel the staircase, we could gain 6" to 12" and get up to 21' length. We are also looking into Class B Motorhomes, but not sure that would be as comfortable for us as the Thor 19G. From Specs I've found (haven't checked every year) they are 10'4" tall. So one consideration I thought Might work is a low profile A/C unit if there is enough difference to shorten the overall height to clear my garage door. (Don't think I could let enough air out of the tires to get it into the garage as is, joke).

2. Traveling with a dog is one huge reason for us to buy an RV. We want a place we can leave our dog safely inside while we visit museums, eat out, ect. The dog would never be left in RV over a couple hours at a time. Since we've only ever owned a cab over camper without A/C and before dogs, we are wondering about running the A/C unit without being plugged into electricity, can you be parked in a parking lot or parking space and run the overhead A/C. and legally leave it run and the dog in it. 3. If not how do you travel with dogs? Thank you in advance for your input and advice.

Old 01-17-2023, 04:37 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Our Vegas is just under 12' with A\C. Check Thor specs.

We travel with dogs. Run generator when A/C needed on road or when making stops for food/visits. In hot weather will double check everything okay every 30 minutes. Plus we try to park in spot with shade .
Old 01-17-2023, 05:10 PM   #3

THOR #28859
Smile Replyto Muggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Our Vegas is just under 12' with A\C. Check Thor specs.

We travel with dogs. Run generator when A/C needed on road or when making stops for food/visits. In hot weather will double check everything okay every 30 minutes. Plus we try to park in spot with shade .

Thanks for your reply.
I've checked the specs on a Couple of the years of the Thor 19G,they either said 123" or 10'4" but does not say make/model of A/C unit,and measurement I believe is the "Clearance" height, not roof height. I may have to call Thor Directly. If I could find out what the height of unit is on, I could see if a low profile would reduce the height to a smidgen under 10' so I could clear the garage door. really want to store our RV in a insulated area without building another garage to fit it. $$

Thanks for input on how you manage traveling with dogs too
Old 01-17-2023, 05:51 PM   #4

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
We travel with the dogs also. We don't hesitate to run the generator (and AC) all day in a parking lot while we are away playing/sightseeing. Did this in Florida in the summer multiple times (even at 100 degrees outside). Try and find shade spots when possible. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220524_182409.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	40591Click image for larger version

Name:	20210320_084105.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	40592
Old 01-18-2023, 08:01 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Michigan
THOR #28483
Re: dogs - we generally travel when it's not 100 degrees out, so our dogs have always been safely cool in the motorhome with just an overhead fan exhausting heat and a couple of windows cracked open. A Fantastic Fan or MaxxAir fan can run all day and not deplete the battery; and assuming your RV is a lighter color, should stay cooler-than ambient temps.. The dogs always have fresh water available of course.

The longest we ever left them was in Alaska, for 7-1/2 hours while we took a 1/2-day wildlife-watching boat tour. We took a LOOONG walk before we left - they were still sound asleep when we got back :-)

Re: door height - our old pole barn's door was 11' 5-1/2" tall. Our 28' Class C was 11'6". The driveway was gravel, so we dug out enough ground that the A/C unit passed under the door frame before the rear wheels started to rise back up onto the concrete apron. I hope that makes sense? Certainly was easier than replacing an A/C (assuming you don't have a concrete driveway)
Old 01-18-2023, 08:22 PM   #6

THOR #28859
Reply to NurseNellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseNellie View Post
Re: dogs - we generally travel when it's not 100 degrees out, so our dogs have always been safely cool in the motorhome with just an overhead fan exhausting heat and a couple of windows cracked open. A Fantastic Fan or MaxxAir fan can run all day and not deplete the battery; and assuming your RV is a lighter color, should stay cooler-than ambient temps.. The dogs always have fresh water available of course.

The longest we ever left them was in Alaska, for 7-1/2 hours while we took a 1/2-day wildlife-watching boat tour. We took a LOOONG walk before we left - they were still sound asleep when we got back :-)

Re: door height - our old pole barn's door was 11' 5-1/2" tall. Our 28' Class C was 11'6". The driveway was gravel, so we dug out enough ground that the A/C unit passed under the door frame before the rear wheels started to rise back up onto the concrete apron. I hope that makes sense? Certainly was easier than replacing an A/C (assuming you don't have a concrete driveway)

Thanks for your input.

The Rv's we're looking at are white/off white in color, so that will make a big difference for pets as you mentioned.
Our garage is on a concrete slab, so that won't work in this case.

I like the way you were able to get your RV to fit, I've know people to let air out of their tires to get a vehicle into storage and refill them once parked, but I need a good 4" so that is out.

I did contact Thor Directly yesterday, they said with a vin number they could tell me what A/C unit cam on the rig, but haven't purchased yet.

Thanks again
Old 01-22-2023, 12:41 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
It seems like you would have to run the generator in order to run the A/C. Not sure if I would do that, especially in a parking lot. We travel with a dog and have left it for up to six or seven hours. We use a MaxxAirII vent cover so we can leave at least one open and with the 12V cheap fan running. A real MaxxAir fan would do a better job. I also use a Blink Wireless Camera to monitor the dog and the RV. It connects through the Winegard. There are plenty of WiFi temperature sensors available also.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:13 AM   #8

THOR #28859
Reply to PreCambrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreCambrian View Post
It seems like you would have to run the generator in order to run the A/C. Not sure if I would do that, especially in a parking lot. We travel with a dog and have left it for up to six or seven hours. We use a MaxxAirII vent cover so we can leave at least one open and with the 12V cheap fan running. A real MaxxAir fan would do a better job. I also use a Blink Wireless Camera to monitor the dog and the RV. It connects through the Winegard. There are plenty of WiFi temperature sensors available also.

Love the idea of the Blink Camera to observe the pets! That I will plan to do for sure. Will look into the MaxxAir fan you mentioned also.

Thank you so much for your reply
Old 01-22-2023, 02:03 AM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderlust View Post

....cut....

The story... When I built the garage 20 years ago, Planned for a 24 x 24 with 16' x 10' garage door thinking I could park larger vehicles, including an RV of some sort in the future, fast forward, we are now looking for a short in both length and height RV. I did not consider the stairs down into the garage taking out so much space and they are smack dab in the middle of the front of the room. so we are limited to 20' deep x 10' high, unless we remodel the staircase, we could gain 6" to 12" and get up to 21' length. We are also looking into Class B Motorhomes, but not sure that would be as comfortable for us as the Thor 19G. From Specs I've found (haven't checked every year) they are 10'4" tall. So one consideration I thought Might work is a low profile A/C unit if there is enough difference to shorten the overall height to clear my garage door. (Don't think I could let enough air out of the tires to get it into the garage as is, joke).

.....cut.....
Have you also looked to see if garage door can be modified or replaced to make opening taller? If you built garage originally, you may already know if door can be replaced with say, 10’-6” as an example.

I got an estimate from a contractor to raise my garage door and cost was too high, but if I lived where I could do it myself, I would have done it already. Cost in my case was mostly labor — except for door itself.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:52 AM   #10

THOR #28859
Reply to Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Have you also looked to see if garage door can be modified or replaced to make opening taller? If you built garage originally, you may already know if door can be replaced with say, 10’-6” as an example.

I got an estimate from a contractor to raise my garage door and cost was too high, but if I lived where I could do it myself, I would have done it already. Cost in my case was mostly labor — except for door itself.

Thanks for your response! I haven't looked it to that yet, Been playing it in my head, I cannot remember if the beam was held up or sits at door height now after this time, I've got to get the 10' ladder out and see if my stud finder will read the wall well enough I can tell. It's drywall inside so not open to see, may have to remove a piece or two to find out. That is on my consideration list for sure. Thanks again for your input.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:15 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:
Thanks for your response! I haven't looked it to that yet, Been playing it in my head, I cannot remember if the beam was held up or sits at door height now after this time, I've got to get the 10' ladder out and see if my stud finder will read the wall well enough I can tell. It's drywall inside so not open to see, may have to remove a piece or two to find out. That is on my consideration list for sure. Thanks again for your input.

I removed a small section of drywall above door and confirmed framing was done like in picture below, which is typical as far as I know. To raise door requires significant planning and labor, but if there isn’t much being supported above by header, it may not be too difficult.

How high door can go also depends on garage ceiling height. They make low-profile door tracks and hardware that allows door to tuck just under garage ceiling when in open position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8A95F00-8D55-4AE6-9A13-B8C087C921F1.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	40646   Click image for larger version

Name:	88B64FA4-F932-4CE8-A998-53F355F863B4.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	40647  

Old 01-22-2023, 10:50 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I travel with dogs all the time. I would never think of leaving them in the coach without the A/C running in the summer time. An RV is an automobile and it would be abusive to leave a pet unattended in a locked automobile in the summer time. Go to any RV dealer in the summer time and tour a coach that has been parked without the A/C running. It would be cruel to leave a pet in such a circumstance.

As to the height requirement. Have you thought about a camper van?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:27 PM   #13

THOR #28859
Msg to Chance

HI,
I checked out the framing last night,but had trouble posting a reply.
Looks like the header was held up to the top and framed down to the door, Wall Height is 11'10". may gain a 6" panel if they make them for my garage door, will have to get my garage door guy out to take a look.
Thanks for your input and reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garage door track and celing height.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	40698  
Old 01-27-2023, 06:39 PM   #14

THOR #28859
Reply to Lt Keefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I travel with dogs all the time. I would never think of leaving them in the coach without the A/C running in the summer time. An RV is an automobile and it would be abusive to leave a pet unattended in a locked automobile in the summer time. Go to any RV dealer in the summer time and tour a coach that has been parked without the A/C running. It would be cruel to leave a pet in such a circumstance.

As to the height requirement. Have you thought about a camper van?

Hi Chance,

I agree with your take on leaving a pet in a non-air conditioned vehicle.
That's why I'm seeking info on how others travel with pets. May have to seek out doggie daycare sites on the route if we are somewhere we can't run the A/C.

We are considering the possibly of a camper van but the the extra storage space not having to make up a bed every night if attractive in the Thor 19G.

Thank you for your reply and input
Old 01-27-2023, 07:58 PM   #15

THOR #21394
Quote:
Hi Chance,

I agree with your take on leaving a pet in a non-air conditioned vehicle.
That's why I'm seeking info on how others travel with pets. May have to seek out doggie daycare sites on the route if we are somewhere we can't run the A/C.

We are considering the possibly of a camper van but the the extra storage space not having to make up a bed every night if attractive in the Thor 19G.

Thank you for your reply and input
We park our camper, turn on the generator, turn on the AC, and leave the dogs in it on a regular basis. We've done this a hundred times.
Once, in the Keys, we turned on both units due to no shade and 100 degrees (with 2 AC's in a 30 footer, our unit gets chilly even in triple digit temperatures).
Generally we do this for a few hours, but we've done it for longer as needed.
One of the reasons we bought a camper.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:17 PM   #16

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
We park our camper, turn on the generator, turn on the AC, and leave the dogs in it on a regular basis. We've done this a hundred times.
Once, in the Keys, we turned on both units due to no shade and 100 degrees (with 2 AC's in a 30 footer, our unit gets chilly even in triple digit temperatures).
Generally we do this for a few hours, but we've done it for longer as needed.
One of the reasons we bought a camper.
Bingo! We do this all the time. Bugsie loves the A/C. They will sleep most of the time anyway...especially if it's good-n-cold inside. Just park as far away from regular foot traffic as you can. I always crack a roof vent as well...JIC. This will allow any rising heat to escape if A/C were to go out.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:46 PM   #17

THOR #21394
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Bingo! We do this all the time. Bugsie loves the A/C. They will sleep most of the time anyway...especially if it's good-n-cold inside. Just park as far away from regular foot traffic as you can. I always crack a roof vent as well...JIC. This will allow any rising heat to escape if A/C were to go out.
Good call on the vent.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:53 AM   #18
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
RV Pet Protection For Pets - many use them.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:12 AM   #19

THOR #2121
Quote:
HI,
I checked out the framing last night,but had trouble posting a reply.
Looks like the header was held up to the top and framed down to the door, Wall Height is 11'10". may gain a 6" panel if they make them for my garage door, will have to get my garage door guy out to take a look.
Thanks for your input and reply.

Looks like you should have plenty of space to go 6 inches higher. With special low-profile hardware, you may be able to go a little higher.

Common 7-foot garage doors are 4 X 21” panels, so 6 of those panels should provide 10’-6”. When researching options, I was told they can make doors in 3” increments.

Tags
air conditioner, dogs, thor 19g