Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #1
MSK

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 37.4 Former ACE30
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1590
Thor 2014 ACE 30.1 Radio Reception

The multi function radio, CD/DVD player, camera monitor, etc that comes standard in the unit works with the exception of the radio. All of the search and other functions work, but the unit has extremely poor reception in both the AM and FM bands. There is generally some static and the range for reception is extremely short. I've checked the antenna on the outside, but do not know how to access the unit to see if it is properly attached inside, or how to check for continuity in the antenna system. I brought it up with the dealer when it was under warranty, but got a gentle blow off. Any suggestions?

Old 07-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Crappy radio + crappy antenna = poor reception.

Do the obvious check to make sure the antenna connection is properly seated in the back of the radio, You can do this either by pulling the radio out of the front of the dash using the "special tool" to release the catches on either side, or pull the doghouse and lay on your back with your head under the dash to see the back of the radio.

You can help reception by replacing the rubber duck antenna on the roof with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which is a screw-off, screw-on replacement for the rubber duck antenna. You will probably notice rust and corrosion on the antenna threaded base: clean that up before putting on the replacement antenna.

Made a big difference on my ACE; still not as good as my other vehicles, but a definite improvement.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Sounds like you'll have to pop the radio out of the dash (look to see if the antenna is even connected to the radio). Not sure which brand/model of radio you have, though.

I've seen two methods of radio removal:
  • One uses two "hoops" (found in the Thor bag). Push the hoops into the holes on the front of the radio and pull it out.
  • The other uses flat pieces of metal (about the size of an Emory board). These push into two holes on either side of the radio (they release a catch, then the radio can be pulled out)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
MSK

THOR #1590
Thanks

Thanks to both of you for responding. I was at a loss as to how to access the radio, but I'll try the methods that you have proposed. I was also planning on replacing the antenna, so thanks for the recommendation. I'm headed out on a non-RV trip for a couple of months but will attempt these fixes as soon as I can. Again, thanks to both of you.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Citation 24SR
THOR #7515
There is a price for being blown off. Name the dealer and let them know that your experience with them was not satisfactory. If they are worth their salt and have a record of your problem with the radio, they may yet replace it or care for the problem.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6lmj View Post
There is a price for being blown off. Name the dealer and let them know that your experience with them was not satisfactory. If they are worth their salt and have a record of your problem with the radio, they may yet replace it or care for the problem.
I would also recommend taking 5 minutes and posting a review (good or bad) on RV Service Reviews. Let others know about your service experience with the dealer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #7
MSK

THOR #1590
Actually I have had pretty good service from this dealer, both before and after, and this is the only area where I wasn't completely satisfied, so I don't really want to call them out over this one problem.

MSK
US Army (ret) also
Old 07-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
My gps quit on mine. I removed mine and found the antenna connector had come loose. These things bounce and vibrate so you should expect some things will work loose over time. My Jensen had a plastic rectangular trim ring on it. I popped it off and the radio frame was held in by 4 tiny black screws.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:10 PM   #9
MSK

THOR #1590
Thanks.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:12 AM   #10

Model: A.C.E. Evo 27.2
State: Connecticut
THOR #15114
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Crappy radio + crappy antenna = poor reception.

Do the obvious check to make sure the antenna connection is properly seated in the back of the radio, You can do this either by pulling the radio out of the front of the dash using the "special tool" to release the catches on either side, or pull the doghouse and lay on your back with your head under the dash to see the back of the radio.

You can help reception by replacing the rubber duck antenna on the roof with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which is a screw-off, screw-on replacement for the rubber duck antenna. You will probably notice rust and corrosion on the antenna threaded base: clean that up before putting on the replacement antenna.

Made a big difference on my ACE; still not as good as my other vehicles, but a definite improvement.
I just found the top part of my radio antenna laying in the yard so we must have scrubbed it on something and eventually it just fell off. Everything else is intact so I will definitely be checking out the one you posted, thank you for sharing!
Old 04-05-2022, 01:40 PM   #11
MSK

THOR #1590
The link posted in this reply is no longer valid. Would you please provide the name or description of the replacement antenna? FYI, I no longer have the Thor ACE, but now have a Thor Palazzo and have the same issue.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:08 PM   #12

Model: A.C.E. Evo 27.2
State: Connecticut
THOR #15114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSK View Post
The link posted in this reply is no longer valid. Would you please provide the name or description of the replacement antenna? FYI, I no longer have the Thor ACE, but now have a Thor Palazzo and have the same issue.
Metra Electronics - Wire Wound Fiberglass OEM Replacement Mast - 16 Inch (44-RMOE) Metra Replacement Antenna Masts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ECPOSRO/

Hope this works!
Old 04-05-2022, 02:15 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSK View Post
The link still works. It's the same product as the link above.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote