Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2016, 11:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #3340
Dashboard loose wire on Thor Acis 2014

I have sporadically lost electrical power to my windshield wipers, air-conditioner fan, nightshade, and DC outlets. When I called good Sam the technician relayed to me that it most likely was a loose wire. The fuses in the fuse box have all been checked and are good. New batteries at full power. Has anyone else had this problem? I have an appointment in the morning at the Ford dealership to look into this but would like to be able to point them in a right direction if anyone has any advice maybe I could get back on the road quicker. None of the RV dealerships or big rig service places wanted to touch this problem.

Thanks for any help.
Sue Asher 2014 Thor Axis

Old 04-07-2016, 12:04 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Did you check the fuses in the fuse box in the drivers side front outside storage compartment?

It may not be a Ford problem..
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:19 AM   #3

THOR #3340
Outside fuse panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Did you check the fuses in the fuse box in the drivers side front outside storage compartment?

It may not be a Ford problem..
This is the only one I know of. Other threads have mentioned fuses behind the radio. Could this be it? I know it may not be a Ford problem but after calling several places they were at least willing to look.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:47 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
All those items you mention are Thor add ons to the Ford Chassis. That does not mean that Ford will not fix your problem. I went into a Ford dealer on the road in a previous Class C and they found the wire that had been split by an errant screw put in by the manufacturer and spliced it. Ford would not pay the bill - no reason they should have, it was not their issue - but they fixed it and the manufacturer stepped up and paid the bill. Sound like a similar issue to mine. Either a loose wire or possibly one that has had a screw punched thru it and the vibration of the coach shorts it out and then allows it to work. They are hard to find. Sometimes it is just easier to cut the wire and put in a new one.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:30 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueasher1@netzero.net
This is the only one I know of. Other threads have mentioned fuses behind the radio. Could this be it? I know it may not be a Ford problem but after calling several places they were at least willing to look.
The one behind the radio is only for the radio.

There are Ford fuses up under the dash and in the engine compartment. These are detailed in the Ford E-Series manual that you should have in your Thor bag.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:59 AM   #6

THOR #3340
Thanks

Every bit of info is appreciated
Old 04-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #7

THOR #3340
Loose nut not loose wire

Well I guess it was actually both. The main electrical wire attaching to the fuse panel (behind the fuse panel) was loose because the nut had not been tightened. Thank God that when it arched it just shorted out fuses and didn't burn the rig down! The folks here at the Roundrock Texas Ford dealership have been super. I've seen several RVs thru here.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Glad it was an easy fix and that Ford stepped up and fixed it. Good to hear. Hope you enjoy your rig.

Tags
auxiliary powerless, console short, thor axis