Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Indiana
THOR #5452
Thor ACE Factory Tour

Hi,

I'm interested to know how many folks have taken the factor tour and found it helpful, interesting or any other reason it may be worthwhile or not!

I thought we'd make a day trip of it when they are assembling the ACE on a Thursday. Also visit the RV/MH Hall of Fame Museum. Which I'd also be curious if anyone has comments about this tour.

Thanks,
Sue

Old 10-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
When we had a Tuscany I made the factory tour and then the museum tour. I found both tours interesting!!! Would actually like to go again!!!
Old 10-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
My wife and I took the factory tour after we bought our unit cause we were passing thru Indiana during a business trip. Whether you take the tour before or after, worth the time. Was also able to talk with a service manager about issues and he providing some recommendations for getting service which was helpful.
Also did the RV/MH tour twice and pretty cool if you like seeing the various generations of RV's and into its history.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #4

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
A few months ago we were camping about 200 miles from the northern Indiana factory that makes the Thor Challengers. We drove up there and did the tour. It was very interesting and helped me to understand where some of my systems were located and installed.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:45 PM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We did a tour of the Vegas/Axis plant in Elkhart a day after we picked up our new 2016 Vegas 25.2. It was very informative and answered a lot of questions we had.

If you can tour the factory for the model you have or are considering, you'll be glad you did it. Check the Thor website for the days and times of the tour you want.

We haven't done the RV museum yet, but did stop by the flea market at Shipshewana when we passed through there last summer. It was interesting, if you like that sort of thing.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
We were in the process of ordering our ACE 29.3 earlier this year and as we were in the process the model year flipped and the stain color we liked was no longer available. It was hard to trust the brochure color for the new one and we were concerned that it was too dark.

We met with Ryan at the factory and he took us thru and we were able to see several units at the end and we were glad we did. If we would have gone with the darker stain we would not have been happy campers.

I could see going again sometime. It is interesting to see how the units go thru from chassis to complete.

You do need to make arrangements ahead of time for the tour. Be sure you contact someone before you go.

John
Old 12-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
For those of you that did the factory tour, did anyone see an alignment machine or ask to see where the coaches are aligned after assembly?

Just curious because of the statement in the owner's manual that says the coach was aligned prior to delivery to the dealership.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #8

THOR #5196
I didn't see an alignment machine but that doesn't mean there wasn't one, several areas I saw in passing but didn't get to go in to.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:00 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
For those of you that did the factory tour, did anyone see an alignment machine or ask to see where the coaches are aligned after assembly? Just curious because of the statement in the owner's manual that says the coach was aligned prior to delivery to the dealership.

You won't see alignment equipment because that is not performed at the factory. My understanding is that the chassis is built properly aligned as a stripped chassis. That is all the manual comment means. All that weight that Thor adds, plus then the weight that you add, makes for misalignment until you get it aligned.

Most dealers are not equipped to do alignment, and those that align new coaches are rare. It is recommended that you load your coach as you would for travel before getting it aligned. I thought ours drove OK from on delivery, but it was much improved after I had it aligned by the pros.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #10

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
The Challenger factory really wasn't that big. We were led from the area where they had brought in bare F53's through all the different stations. There could have been alignments done toward the beginning or end but I sure didn't notice anything that would indicate that.

It would be interesting if anyone takes that tour in the next month or so to ask that question.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #11

THOR #5196
I called a friend of mine who has been to the factory a couple of times, he says the alignment is done by the company that prepares the chassis. I would think alignment would be better after coach is built and chassis has a load on it.