Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2021, 09:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #12720
Cool Thor ACE steering stabilizer

I have a 30.1 Thor Ace and wish to improve the steering. Has anyone advise as to what brand stabilizer I should use.
I have some play in the steering and want to remove same.
Thanks for any advice and experience you have had.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:29 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusbus View Post
I have a 30.1 Thor Ace and wish to improve the steering. Has anyone advise as to what brand stabilizer I should use.

I’ve used both the SafeTPlus and the Roadmaster. Installation and adjustment is the same and they function the same. The Roadmaster appears to my inexperienced eye to be slightly more robust but between these two I’d say get whichever is cheaper or more readily available. If you aren’t going to install it yourself I’ve been told that the SafeTPlus people will install it for free if you buy it from them at their shop. I think the effect on handling is pretty worthwhile.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:15 AM   #3

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
I have a hurricane 29m and i installed the roadmaster. I went with it due to price and similar functionality to the safe-t-plus. Night and day difference in how the coach handles and to be honest I do not know why they don't add them at the factory.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:13 AM   #4

Model: Majestic 23A
State: Missouri
THOR #20977
I have a former Cruise America Thor Majestic 25' I replace the factory stabilizer when the unit had 128,000 miles on it. Needless to say the factory stabilizer was worn out. I purchased a Bilstein stabilizer (along with four Bilstein hd shocks), installed it myself (took maybe 1/2 hour), and it was a direct replacement of the factory model. It was a Big Improvement in stopping the "wandering." The new shocks gave the unit a more stabilized feeling.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
As I understand it, the Biltstein is just a hydraulic damper like a shock absorber. The Roadmaster and Safe T Plus both have springs that keep the steering centered.

But if it works for you …….

David
Old 01-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
As I understand it, the Biltstein is just a hydraulic damper like a shock absorber. The Roadmaster and Safe T Plus both have springs that keep the steering centered.

David
Correct.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #7

THOR #6826
Quote:

David

That is correct. The SafeTPlus has its spring inside a cover but the Roadmaster has it outside and it’s easy to see how it works. I think the spring makes the biggest difference in routine handling while the “shock absorber” function adds benefit for gusty winds, front tire blowout or for occasions when a front wheel drops off the pavement. Before I bought mine I was driving my class A on a country two lane when a distracted oncoming driver (on her cellphone) wandered into my lane. Swerving on to the shoulder involved a drop off and it was one of the scariest driving moments in memory. Haven’t “tried it” since installing the Roadmaster but I believe it’d help a lot.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:19 PM   #8

THOR #20977
Quote:

David
David,
You may be right about the Biltstein's just being a hydraulic damper, but at least on my unit, when I now turn a corner the steering wheel returns to center. When the old stabilizer was in place, I had to manually center the steering wheel after making the turn. It reminded me of driving an old farm truck. The stabilizer and shocks were part of a package deal and I'm very happy with them.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:25 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner View Post
David,
You may be right about the Biltstein's just being a hydraulic damper, but at least on my unit, when I now turn a corner the steering wheel returns to center. When the old stabilizer was in place, I had to manually center the steering wheel after making the turn. It reminded me of driving an old farm truck. The stabilizer and shocks were part of a package deal and I'm very happy with them.
Return to center after a turn is a function of the caster setting in an alignment. Did you also have your coach aligned after installing the upgrades?
Old 01-15-2021, 05:29 AM   #10

THOR #20977
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Return to center after a turn is a function of the caster setting in an alignment. Did you also have your coach aligned after installing the upgrades?
Of course!
My mamma only raise ugly children.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:31 AM   #11

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner View Post
Of course!
My mamma only raise ugly children.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:37 PM   #12

State: Oklahoma
THOR #2443
I replaced tires with toyo m154s and it improved handling so much I don’t plan on doing any mods to steering.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:28 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Steering stabilizer

I have made just one 300 miles in my ACE30.3 since installing the Roadmaster Steering stabilizer. It was very windy and I felt it made a lot of improvement. Don't have to move the Steering wheel so much to stay in the lane.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:29 PM   #14

Model: Chateau V25
State: California
THOR #19470
Interesting about the Bilsteins

I too installed a Bilstein steering stabilizer and Bilstein shocks all around. Didn't do my homework on the spring but the steering and ride is much better.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:57 PM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusbus View Post
I had the Safe-T-Plus installed on our ACE but the Roadmaster should be just as effective. Do yourself and your coach a huge favor and have the front end aligned to. The cheap handling fix helps too.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:04 PM   #16

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrirn View Post
I had the Safe-T-Plus installed on our ACE but the Roadmaster should be just as effective. Do yourself and your coach a huge favor and have the front end aligned to. The cheap handling fix helps too.

Steering stabilizer is a reasonable DIY project too, if you have a stout breaker bar. Adjustment can take take a couple of tries but it’s simple enough.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:16 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppygeo View Post
I too installed a Bilstein steering stabilizer and Bilstein shocks all around. Didn't do my homework on the spring but the steering and ride is much better.
See posts #5 and #7 in this thread.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:35 PM   #18

Model: 31W
THOR #20903
Sumo bump stops

Sumo bump stops also helped a lot and are very easy to install.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:09 AM   #19

State: Washington
THOR #23923
Thor Ace Steering Stabilizer

I am brand new to this forum and to the Thor ACE. We drove a 37' Newmar for over 15 years and just bought a used 2016 ACE with 15,000 miles.
Today we completed a 500 mile trip with about half on interstate and intentionally the other half on a two lane curvy road with many very high hills and wind consistently over 25 mph.
I am fine with the handling, effect of semi trucks (actually not much) but would like to know if any one has done any mod that would give a softer ride. When hitting bad bridge joints, potholes or even large highway expansion joints the impact is really harsh. Doesn't unsettle the coach in any way but I would compare the effect to an old sedan with no shocks and very weak springs. The other effect is steering wheel feed back. Only the very newest stretches of brand new blacktop give a smooth feedback. No wheel shimmy, no following ruts, just constant "rattle" back through the steering wheel.
I look forward to staying in touch with all of you.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:50 PM   #20

Model: Wind sport 29M
THOR #24352
Thumbs up stabilizer

We just had the safety plus stabilizer installed on our wind star 29M. It's one of the best investments we have made to our MH. I can now stay between the lines. Awesome.