Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Any Vegas owner out there have a cook-book step by step guide on how to look under the dash (what comes off first)?
The small panel in front of the dash is removed by simply turning the two screws 1/4 turn.

To remove the panel the radio is in: Its easier to remove the radio first then there are four screws that are "welded" to the plastic. Two on the very top front and two on the back bottom. With the radio out you can reach your hand in and loosen the nuts on the top two (mine were hand tight). The bottom two you can reach around above the doghouse to remove. Once the four nuts are removed you can lift the panel out by pulling out at the bottom until the screws clear and then lift straight up--be careful as all the switches, etc. have wires connected to them.
Hmm I don't seem to have a pic of the dash with the radio panel removed, just one with the radio removed:

The "tools" to remove the radio were included in our Thor bag with all the manuals the dealer gave us (just two hoops that plug into holes on each side of the radio):

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jamie,

I appreciate the pictures. This looks like a weekend project.

Yeah, when the dealership told me they would lend me the radio removal "tools" I was a bit under-impressed when I opened the envelope and found the curved wire hoops.

While you were in there did you find room for additional soundproofing and/or insulation material? I hope to only have to disassemble this thing one time.

Thanks again for your insight and sharing with us newbees.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I didn't even think of putting any sound proofing behind the radio as the engine is under the doghouse and all of the radio "stuff" there is well above the doghouse.

If anything you may want to look for any opportunity to reinforce the dash--something I wish I would have done. I may in the future as one of the "welded" bolts holding that piece in on ours fell off so its only held in by 3 (I figure some superglue and it will be holding tight).
Old 08-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #24

THOR #2142
Again, I appreciate the insights. I'll look around for possible support options, pictures will be taken too!

FYI: Totally different topic but; I have seen your name on some earlier Posts pertaining to on trying to get a Front end Alignment work done under warranty. My problem is excessive play (back and forth) in the steering wheel at Highway Speeds. It was noted during the PDI back in May. Well, today I received the following clarification from Thor Warranty Division:
1. If the problem is Toe-in/Toe-out it is covered by Thor but for a very limited time following purchase and only up to a set amount.
2. If the problem is Caster or Camber then it is to be covered by Ford Warranty.
3. I must get the work done, pay for it, then send in a copy of the bill along with a copy of the Specs both before and after.

I have an appointment to get it done locally at a (namebrand) Truck and Tire Alignment Shop...any specific suggestions as to what to mention to the mechanic? The Ford Dealership near my RV Dealer does not do RV work and the next nearest Ford Dealership said Ford has no Warranty on Front End work (I have the 2015 Manual, and even printed out page 14 that states one year coverage). I do not think they were interested.

Thanks again for your help and insights.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:27 AM   #25

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treutervid View Post
I have a 2016 ACE 29.3, there is an HDMI cable in the cabinet above the dinette that is connected to the TV, I put a DVD player up there and it plays through the TV. I don't have any kind of connection box to send things through the 3 TVs in the coach. I will have to remove the outside TV to hook up another HDMI cable so that will be able to play DVDs as well. Would have been nice if they put one there as well.
We have a 2016 Vegas 25.2. As posted earlier we have a HDMI connection in the cabinet above the sink that goes to the main TV. In the cabinet above the headboard in the back bed room is another HDMI cable connection for that TV. For the external TV in the basement storage below the TV there are RCA jacks and also an HDMI cable. In all places there are is also a 110 volt outlet. I move our Blue Ray player from TV to TV depending on the circumstances.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #26

THOR #2142
Jamie,

Returned last night from our first long range (okay mid range for the more traveled) trip of 611 miles round trip from NC to Macon Ga. Almost 50/50 US85 and smaller road Ga441 and 129. Speed was 65 tops on Highway with cruise, 55 elsewhere with cruise, less than 15 minutes of genny-time. The tank was topped off before leaving, then topped off upon arrival and topped off just down the road from home for 64 gallons equals 9.55mpg.

Another topic I see discussed here is the noise. So noise level at 65mph was 74 decibels (cruise on, tach 2100ish, level newly resurfaced section of I85).

When we arrived at the campsite I took the time and effort to looked up under the hood and noted from the factory: the dash is bolted to the aluminum brace (one l bracket on both sides...right where your mod placed it, the A-pillars are not visible as the wood for the under side of the dash extends all the way forward and lots of dark gray shinny foam insulation oozing out of every nook and cranny.

Do you think the effort to place Fat-Mat on the wooden underside of the dash (from the engine compartment) be worth the time?

Stayed at a great little Lake Tobesofkee, run the Macon-Bibb Parks. Elect, water and cable for $22.00/night. As soon as I remember how to reduce the picture size I will post it elsewhere on this Forum.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
When we arrived at the campsite I took the time and effort to looked up under the hood and noted from the factory: the dash is bolted to the aluminum brace (one l bracket on both sides...right where your mod placed it, the A-pillars are not visible as the wood for the under side of the dash extends all the way forward and lots of dark gray shinny foam insulation oozing out of every nook and cranny.

Do you think the effort to place Fat-Mat on the wooden underside of the dash (from the engine compartment) be worth the time?
I don't recall any of my mods to the underside of the dash other than putting FatMat under there.

Honestly I'm not sure how much additional insulation would do--it would have to do something. When I removed our doghouse I had found the factory already had about 3/4" FatMat under there. Since I already had some I doubled it up. At the time the noise reduction was noticeable to both my wife and myself--but I didn't measure the levels so this is only a perception.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:45 PM   #28

THOR #2142
Sorry,

I have read so many threads and inputs here, i thought it was yours that showed making a brace to mount the underside of the dash to the aluminum brace. I have to learn how to flag the ideas I want to work on.

Take care.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #29

State: Massachusetts
THOR #2883
Ace 27.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipagan54 View Post
We were told that the Axxera would play DVDs on the main TV. Not true, evidently this year, Thor stopped that wiring. We purchased a standalone dvd player for the cabin. That HDMI cable that you find in the cabinet connects to the exterior tv (or should, mine was run there, but I had to pull the tv to connect that end of the cable). I had a spare HDMI cable to run from the new dvd to the main tv. I will eventually put a splitter or switch box in there, but we dont watch too much tv outside...
We have an hdmi cable over the table in the overhead cabinet. Ours will play dvd (on a seperate player) or I hook up my I pad to the hdmi and can play Netflix on the inside front TV
Old 08-31-2016, 03:27 AM   #30

State: Arizona
THOR #5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treutervid View Post
I have a 2016 ACE 29.3, there is an HDMI cable in the cabinet above the dinette that is connected to the TV, I put a DVD player up there and it plays through the TV. I don't have any kind of connection box to send things through the 3 TVs in the coach. I will have to remove the outside TV to hook up another HDMI cable so that will be able to play DVDs as well. Would have been nice if they put one there as well.
My ACE 29.3 had a HDMI cable connected to all three tvs. I connected a blue ray player to each. You should be able to access the outdoor tv through the bathroom without removing it. Each of my tvs also has a coaxial cable attached to it but I can not see where it goes. In my cabinet above the dinnette I have a cable outlet and the antenna booster. My question is what is the cable outlet for? My tvs seemed to be already connected to the antenna somewhere else?
Old 08-31-2016, 01:36 PM   #31
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaidyn View Post
We have an ACE 30.1. We only have DVD in radio. They told us it should play in front tv but it doesn't seem to work. Our bedroom tv has no DVD player
Jaidyn...we agree with the others...
Yes your radio will play the dvd...but to show on TV you must run an hdmi
cable from the radio to the tv.
It is much easier to purchase a DVD Player (cheap now) or Blue Ray Player at your favorite discount store...place it near your 'box' and connectors and go with it there...since we do not use ours often..we simply move it from tv to tv whenever we do use it. Some forum members have setup more elaborate systems...but this works well for us. Remember, when doing so, you must go into settings on TV and change your source of signal into the tv .. you have at least 2 hdmi 'in' slots on your tv...so you will have to find which one is the feed you slipped the cable into.

good luck !!

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote