Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2632
thor ace tv/dvd

Is anyone having a problem playing dvd on TV's. We can get the dvd to play on radio screen but can't get a signal to any of the TV's.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #2

Model: Palazzo
State: Texas
THOR #2072
The radio is not connected too the TVs.

What model do you have and year? My bedroom has a TV with a DVD player for that TV only!
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
+1, What Dave said.

If you want the dash radio to play DVDs throughout the coach, you're going to need to get the signal to the AV switch box. There are options.

Option 1, the "correct" way is to run wire to it. You can dismantle your cabinets, walls, and make new holes. Or you can pay someone.

Option 2 is to purchase a separate DVD player and place it right next to the AV switch box, (that's what I did, $19 for a progressive-scan Sony DVD player at Big Lots).

Option 3 is to purchase a wireless TV transmitter/receiver system, (price varies). Connect the transmitter to the dash system output. The reciever to the AV switch box.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #4

Model: ACE 29.3
State: New Jersey
THOR #2080
DVD not playing

I have a 2016 ACE 29.3, there is an HDMI cable in the cabinet above the dinette that is connected to the TV, I put a DVD player up there and it plays through the TV. I don't have any kind of connection box to send things through the 3 TVs in the coach. I will have to remove the outside TV to hook up another HDMI cable so that will be able to play DVDs as well. Would have been nice if they put one there as well.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treutervid View Post
I have a 2016 ACE 29.3, there is an HDMI cable in the cabinet above the dinette that is connected to the TV, I put a DVD player up there and it plays through the TV. I don't have any kind of connection box to send things through the 3 TVs in the coach. I will have to remove the outside TV to hook up another HDMI cable so that will be able to play DVDs as well. Would have been nice if they put one there as well.

You didn't get the Monoprice HDMI selector switch in your AV cabinet?

When I perused the ACE models at my nearby Thor dealership, (Mike Thompson's in Fountain Valley, CA), during my lunch break a few months ago
I recall noticing that they came with the box.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:39 PM   #6

Model: ACE 29.3
State: New Jersey
THOR #2080
Not mine.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:41 AM   #7

THOR #2632
We have an ACE 30.1. We only have DVD in radio. They told us it should play in front tv but it doesn't seem to work. Our bedroom tv has no DVD player
Old 08-24-2015, 04:43 AM   #8

THOR #2632
Thank you we did purchase a separate DVD player. I really didn't think the radio DVD was connected to TV's but that is what they told us.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:44 AM   #9

THOR #2632
Thank you that is what we were thinking also.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:45 AM   #10

THOR #2632
No we did not.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:09 AM   #11

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #2162
Thor Ace dvd

We were told that the Axxera would play DVDs on the main TV. Not true, evidently this year, Thor stopped that wiring. We purchased a standalone dvd player for the cabin. That HDMI cable that you find in the cabinet connects to the exterior tv (or should, mine was run there, but I had to pull the tv to connect that end of the cable). I had a spare HDMI cable to run from the new dvd to the main tv. I will eventually put a splitter or switch box in there, but we dont watch too much tv outside...
ipagan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo
State: Texas
THOR #2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaidyn View Post
We have an ACE 30.1. We only have DVD in radio. They told us it should play in front tv but it doesn't seem to work. Our bedroom tv has no DVD player
The DVD player in the bedroom is optional. My 2016 has a TV DVD player combo.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:32 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Dash DVD to TV's

Okay, you can make the Dash DVD work and send to the TV's but you have to work at it. Once you remove the Axxera from the Dash (special pulling tool needed, may be able to borrow from your dealer) you will find the RCA connections that you can then run to two TV's. However, you will not get the Hi Def out of the RCA connections.

If you get a DVD/BluRay Unit and install it (over the sink, top shelf in a Vegas) you can get a two or three way HDMI splitter, plug it into the Unit then rung cables to your TV's.

On our Vegas I went with a two way splitter (could not figure how to get back to the rear bedroom TV) and ran the HDMI to the inside TV and the outside TV (required removing the Microwave, both drawers below the range, drilling one hole into the panel that houses the fridge at the level of the top drawer, fishing a coat hanger down from behind the microwave - already a big hole there with lots of wires so be careful - then out the new hole...followed by then threading the HDMI back up to the Unit and the other end out to the outside TV). I hooked both up to HDMI 3 option on the TV's.

But if you are planning on that much effort and want to do something real cool: get something like a Samsung TSST SE506CB/RSWD 6X USB 2.0 Slim Bluray Writer External Drive, with MDisc support (@$79.00) instead of a simple Bluray Unit. Still use the HDMI Splitter to connect to the TV's, BUT then connect the Bluray to a Mini Desktop PC (like a Quantum Byte Fanless Windows Mini Desktop PC with Windows 8.1 @ $169.00) and hook it a wireless touch Keyboard (like a Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard k400 with Built-in MultiTouch Touchpad @ $31.00). If you do that you will have wired your entire RV to be computer ready at any of the two or three TV's you've wired to or you can just use the Blueray Writer to play your DVD to the TV's or TV of your choice.

It will run about $400 with needed cables, and takes the better part of a day.

So far, no overheating problems in the cabinet thanks to the Mini Desktop. Down the road I hope to be able to utilize Windows 10 and make the entire thing voice activated thru the Cortana app on my Windows Phone.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:53 AM   #14

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #2162
DocMike, Thumbs up on the cool factor!
ipagan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #15

THOR #2142
One more thing on the Thor Computer: there was one more USB port that I was not using but was hard to get to. So I got an extension USB cable and using a mount for it placed a USB port above the RV control panel there on the side of the cabinet over the sink. Now using a thumb drive I can download files I am working/using/playing on at home or work and take them with me on trips

Also I have downloaded just about every music CD I like onto a mini-thumb drive and now I can play my favorite tunes thru the computer to any of the TV's I have connected to the computer. It can also be pluged into the Dash Radio, but that Radio needs a couple more speakers added to it (future project).

Finally,I had an old Microsoft Camera (used with Skype years ago) that I can now hook up to the Computer via the newly relocated USB port and will try to Skype on the next road trip.

QUESTION: Has anyone tired to utilize the three cameras in place on the Vegas (Thors) to run an outside security system? Anyone know where the wires from the cameras run or what they look like?

Old 08-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
QUESTION: Has anyone tired to utilize the three cameras in place on the Vegas (Thors) to run an outside security system? Anyone know where the wires from the cameras run or what they look like?
Not sure where the wires run but they all terminate at the back of the front radio with non-RCA type connections. Its a 4 pin plug (for each camera) that plugs directly into the back of the radio (at least it does for Jensen equipped units). I believe that the two mirror cameras simply come in off the mirrors and are run under the dash to the radio.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #17

THOR #2142
Jamie,

Thanks for the information. Next cool Saturday looks like time to go exploring under the dash.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #18

THOR #2632
WOW sounds like you are very technology savoy. Thanks for all the info but that is a bit much for us to try. If you lived closer I would look you up. Thanks for all the info
Old 08-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On my Challenger with the Axxerra radio the three camera cables come in and plug into a camera control unit which has one cable that plugs into the back of the radio. The camera control unit is under the top part of the dash which can be lifted off after removing 4 Phillips head screws.

The control unit is what determines which camera is displayed based on turn signals, gear selection and ignition switch setting.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #20

THOR #2142
Dave, thanks for the info on the dash. I have yet to tackle the dash on my Vegas because I really can not figure how they have it connected to the unit. Any Vegas owner out there have a cook-book step by step guide on how to look under the dash (what comes off first)?