Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Do you have a source for the E-450 frame being different than the E-350's?

Looking at the published Ford specs I see that the E-450 frame is a little thicker gauge on the cutaway models, but on the stripped chassis the spec shows both to be the same. That seems very odd to me but I've checked it a few times. And it doesn't seem to be a misprint.

Regarding axles, the front is the same at up to 5,000 pounds, with the rear axle and springs being the only differences I can see between E-350 and E-450.
Chance

Something you might try is to go out to Ford Parts and compare some of the frame components (cross members, frame rails etc...) and see if any of them are used across the multiple variations of the E series. This should provide an indicator of whether or not the steel is the same gauge.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Do you have a source for the E-450 frame being different than the E-350's?
I didn't say they were different. Just looked at the same specs you looked at (and knowing that its the same between the F-250 and the F-350: same frame different axles; at least according to the guys at ford-trucks.com; someone had compared all the part numbers!).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I didn't say they were different. Just looked at the same specs you looked at (and knowing that its the same between the F-250 and the F-350: same frame different axles; at least according to the guys at ford-trucks.com; someone had compared all the part numbers!).
Thanks for clarification. I just wondered if you had seen something to the contrary. To me it still seems odd that Ford would use a heavier frame for E-450 cutaway than for E-450 stripped chassis.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:07 AM   #24

Model: VEGAS
State: California
THOR #3113
The 450 is thicker and weighs more. I think they are preparing for a two slide model. Plus Ford will not be producing anymore 350 chassie. I was told by a factory rep. I looked at my underside today and its pretty thick.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:15 AM   #25

THOR #3113
I got my rig back. The ride is great and Safety bar was installed so the coach tracks great. They upgraded my rear differential and its quiet as a church mouse. The recall was preformed and Ford even tuned the transmission. Will take Vegas on a spin up the California coast was able to get a spot to camp right on the Pacific Ocean. Will post pictures. Glad this nightmare is over.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #26

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jack,

Glad to hear you ar back on the road.

In reference to your email above, what was the recall number that you had preformed on your RV? When I received mine for our 2016 Vegas 24.1 (E350) on the Heater/AC it had a number on it (Safety Recall: 15V-530, Safety Advisory:RC000103, dated September 1, 2015).

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #27

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdog View Post
The 450 is thicker and weighs more. I think they are preparing for a two slide model. Plus Ford will not be producing anymore 350 chassie. I was told by a factory rep. I looked at my underside today and its pretty thick.
We need to differentiate between chassis Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and the actual weight of the chassis that is affected by thicker frame-rail steel.

According to these specs:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...Cutaway_SB.pdf

the E-350 and E-450 "STRIPPED CHASSIS" have identical frame "section modulus" at 5.73. Only the E-450 "CUTAWAY" has a thicker frame with a section modulus of 6.40.

As I've stated before, I initially thought this frame data was a misprint but other data supplied in the specs show otherwise. If we look at chassis weight for a DRW 176-inch wheelbase with V10 engine, we can see that the heavier rear axle adds 126 pounds between E-450 and E-350 "stripped" chassis, but 222 pounds between E-450 and E-350 "cutaway" chassis.

It's clear from these specs that the heavier gauge frame (going from 5.73 to 6.40 section modulus) adds close to 100 extra pounds, but not on stripped chassis on which Axis and Vegas are built.

Obviously Ford can revise these specs at any time they want, but for now I will personally go by Ford published specifications over what a rep says.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #28

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Jackdog -- can you provide more detail on the recall that Ford recently performed. From your description it sounded like a recall involving the transmission or differential. Am I misreading what you said? Was it a recall specific only to your VIN? Is it a generalized 450 recall? Inquiring minds are curious...
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #29

THOR #3113
Not to worries we have the same open recall that you have. ( smile).
Our Vegas rear differential locked up 20 minutes after leaving the dealer in Texas. The coach fish tailed and we almost flipped. There was a loud whining sound from the rear end. That is a short version the rest I cant speak about at this time. We live in California so getting back was an adventure.

A new Differential has been installed but its an upgraded version. Ford install a safety bar for blow-out protection. They also re- flashed the transmission for better shifting. The dealer is throwing in a bunch of free stuff too. Covers for the two fans, Direct TV anytime antenna, DVD players, Grills ect. They dont want us to sue ..LOL. My wife is milking them for ever upgrade to man.

Our Vegas was driven from the Factory with a bad differential and the driver or dealer did not say a word. A big chunk of the gear broke off and just put us at a high risk !!!!

I suspect there will be another recall in the works. There are others with the same problem.

I did everything right before buying the coach but Drive it before I handed over the Money Order. UGG!!!
Old 12-18-2015, 03:58 AM   #30

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Alabama
THOR #3139
Where did you get an alignment done for $70? All of them want something close to $200 around here in Huntsville, AL!
Old 12-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #31

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Relush,

60 bucks, Newbill's in Colorado Springs. They are an independant heavy truck service shop that's been in business here for a very long time.

Regards,

Randy
Old 12-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #32

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Alabama
THOR #3139
Wow that's a great price! Thanks! Sounds like a leftover price from a time when I was stationed there as a brand new butter bar at Fort Carson in early 70s! I will do some more homework around here. Ford truck will do it for around $100 but equipment down for several months n I wanted to get this matter attended to, although I have no serious driveability issues just ocd about it..
Old 12-18-2015, 03:18 PM   #33
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I had mine aligned at a "Wingfoot Truck Care Center" (Wingfoot = Goodyear):
Wingfoot Truck Care Center : Locations for about $120.

I happened to stop in when they weren't busy so they just did it while I waited (even had me drive the camper onto the fixture and sit in it while the guy was doing the alignment).
Old 12-18-2015, 10:50 PM   #34
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Quote:
Originally Posted by relush View Post
Wow that's a great price! Thanks! Sounds like a leftover price from a time when I was stationed there as a brand new butter bar at Fort Carson in early 70s! I will do some more homework around here. Ford truck will do it for around $100 but equipment down for several months n I wanted to get this matter attended to, although I have no serious driveability issues just ocd about it..
Unless that Ford dealer does commercial trucks, chances are they can not do the job right I am Talking E450 and E550 trucks
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #35

State: Tennessee
THOR #3372
E-350 vs. E-450

I recently bought a new Axis 24.1 and it was on the E-450 chassis. The 4th digit of the VIN number will be a 4 if it's on the E-450 chassis. The transmission will be a 6 speed vs. a 5 speed on the E-350 and the G.V.W.R. will be 14,500 vs. 12,500 for the E-350. That extra 2,000 pounds means a lot more carrying capacity without being overweight. Hope this helps. I still wish the wheels and tires were larger but are within the allowable weight limits. Mine have Michelin LTX M/S 225/75R/16 inch and carry 80 psi in the front and 75 psi in the rear.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #36

THOR #1805
I own a 2015 Thor Axis with the bi-fold door that slides on an overhead track
I have to continually reconnect the upper track to the door. This system is a good concept but needs some kind of retaining device that stays connectex. The dealer has fixed it to no avail. They had to replace the upper track due to damage from the disconnected door. Has anyone had similar problems? Please respond if you have had a similar problem.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #37
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Thor solved that problem on the 2016 .. a magnet system .. no more track
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:22 PM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bru1102
I own a 2015 Thor Axis with the bi-fold door that slides on an overhead track
I have to continually reconnect the upper track to the door. This system is a good concept but needs some kind of retaining device that stays connectex. The dealer has fixed it to no avail. They had to replace the upper track due to damage from the disconnected door. Has anyone had similar problems? Please respond if you have had a similar problem.
On ours the hardware kept pulling out of the top of the door until I secured it with glue.

Sounds to me like there is an alignment problem and the door is pulling too much on your track causing issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb
Thor solved that problem on the 2016 .. a magnet system .. no more track
Specifically: Thor split the door in two. Now instead of a bi-fold it is simply two doors that open across the camper.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:22 AM   #39
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Yes...forgot to mention the split doors .. thank you Jamie !
We do like the new setup.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:47 AM   #40

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
....cut....

Specifically: Thor split the door in two. Now instead of a bi-fold it is simply two doors that open across the camper.
Jamie, is there a way to retrofit the new double doors on the original bathroom? Has anyone done it as far as you know?

I've only seen where a couple of owners have replaced the bi-fold door with a curtain; which doesn't seem like a permanent solution.